Pole barn build now or wait?

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #52  
Never heard the term so I did a search..

“A rat wall is a barrier meant to prevent burrowing animals from getting beneath your deck or patio. ... Concrete rat walls are essentially extensions of the foundation slab. It's width is generally between 1 foot and 18 inches, often at a depth of 18 inches.”
sounds like a mono slab?

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #53  
With prices where they are for now, I am thinking about changing plans from a metal shed to wood. I don't need it to last forever, just 30 years or so. What other options do I have? Any advice is welcome. 30x40 is the plan.
I would still do metal. Painting, repairs, etc. will add up for wood. If you pick a white metal roof, it will help keep the place cooler. If you tear it out in 30 years, you can recycle most of it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #54  
I see you still have the girts at the outside.
Yes. but Once the building was up, I learned that you could have had it constructed in a complete bookshelf manner.

point is, you definitely do not need to build a wall inside of the posts, you will just be wasting lumber.

/ Pole barn build now or wait?
I have access to a Sheetmetal shop down the street maybe fab some 5"x1.5"x1.5" 20 gauge L brackets even C type brackets.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #56  
I have access to a Sheetmetal shop down the street maybe fab some 5"x1.5"x1.5" 20 gauge L brackets even C type brackets.
If you didn't want to use full verticals, you could also simply take the worse of the boards and cut them into ~2" x whatever cleats for the horizontals to sit on. Simplest way to go.

R.5714c93f75657e0d19e033ea5a587de2

/ Pole barn build now or wait?
If you didn't want to use full verticals, you could also simply take the worse of the boards and cut them into ~2" x whatever cleats for the horizontals to sit on. Simplest way to go.

R.5714c93f75657e0d19e033ea5a587de2
That's a thought

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #59  
This is really not necessary. I used a nail gun and toe nailed a nail towards the outside (2 nails) and one underneath the middle. I weigh 200 lbs and can stand on these.

the only purpose this serves is a nailer for drywall and to hold insulation in.

I think you may be overthinking this.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #60  
Quonset Hut For Sale.....not mine! I was not sure where to post this.

Every time i try something like this it comes back to haunt me but.........maybe it will help someone.

I ran an ad on craigslist trying to sell excess metal roofing and mentioned i might trade for a tractor shed or something.

Yesterday a man contacted me with a quonset hut he wanted to trade.

i just finished my house and garage, 2 buildings, modern look....i don't think a quonset hut would fit in.

It sounds like a good deal so i told him about tbn and that there were folks trying to decide between wood and metal, costs, lead times etc etc.

Here's what he has....

40 ft wide x 30 ft deep.

metal

never been erected.

here's the story......

his neighbor bought it new 10 years ago, got sick, couldn't use it, sold it to the current owner. current owner found out the city won't allow it, zoning.

current owner seems like a good guy and assured me the hut has been properly stored at all times and is as new.

$8500.00. OBO. (said retail was $15K)

Now....the disclaimers.

I have no interest in the deal at all! I don't want anything from anybody, buyer, seller, nobody!

I don't know the guy and i have never seen the hut!

I don't care if you buy it or if he sells it. If it helps someone out, that's all i want.

I will not recontact the seller nor will i go look at the hut, it's an hour away in Fayetteville NC. ( fayettenam)

If you have any interest, PM me and I will send you his land line phone number...he can't receive texts.

As i said, he seems like a normal nice guy. He said it's going on craigslist soon.

Last edited: