Pole barn roof question

/ Pole barn roof question #1  

mfairbank

Im building a 30x50x16 pole barn i have everything up just waiting on the trusses right now.

What would be a cheaper and easier way to do the purlins on the roof....

#1 I have the option of doing the purlins 2x6's on edge stacked on top of the trusses
-This way i would have to use more metal on the side of the barn but it would be easier doing the roof. but a little tricky getting them purlins nailed standing up and while laying the roof metal i would think it would be a little dangerous standing on them for the risk of one twisting and me falling

#2 or buying purlin hangars and have them cut to match the spacing of the trusses.
-This way i would have to buy a **** load of purlin hangars and nail them to the trusses every 2 feet and more expensive but the purlins would just slide into place

Any thoughs on what i should do??

/ Pole barn roof question #2  
Sounds like your doing truss on post with 8' or so spacing, YES you need to hanger it. It adds to the stregnth of the whole roof system that is needed.
I kinda favor the old fashioned post/beam 2'o.c. truss, 2x4 laid flat (purlins)and easy ceiling/insulation finishing job. I really hate those short joist hanger nails!!

/ Pole barn roof question #3  
On mine the purlins are on edge welded to the trusses. That's how I've seen it done on many metal buildings.

Good luck.

/ Pole barn roof question #4  
There are air nailers out now that will handle those "short joist hanger" nails. I don't have one (yet) but all the reviews I've seen are favorable. Next construction job I have to do I plan to get one.

/ Pole barn roof question
There are air nailers out now that will handle those "short joist hanger" nails. I don't have one (yet) but all the reviews I've seen are favorable. Next construction job I have to do I plan to get one.

what size nails do i use for the hangars....gotta be kinda small cause you don't want the nails running through to the other hanger on the other side of the truss. and seems like the smaller size nails you use the less strong they will be.

/ Pole barn roof question #6  
they make special nails that are like 16d but shorter.

/ Pole barn roof question #7  
Im building a 30x50x16 pole barn i have everything up just waiting on the trusses right now.

What would be a cheaper and easier way to do the purlins on the roof....

#1 I have the option of doing the purlins 2x6's on edge stacked on top of the trusses
-This way i would have to use more metal on the side of the barn but it would be easier doing the roof. but a little tricky getting them purlins nailed standing up and while laying the roof metal i would think it would be a little dangerous standing on them for the risk of one twisting and me falling

#2 or buying purlin hangars and have them cut to match the spacing of the trusses.
-This way i would have to buy a **** load of purlin hangars and nail them to the trusses every 2 feet and more expensive but the purlins would just slide into place

Any thoughs on what i should do??

What is your truss spacing? 2x6s Seam awfully stout.

2x6s almost have to be set between the trusses but hangers are not necessary. You can use a 1x2 or 2x2 or bigger ledger board nailed to the side of the truss for the purlins to set on. This works very well. Saddle hangers can be a real PIA when it come to screw the roof steel down.

Sounds like your doing truss on post with 8' or so spacing, YES you need to hanger it. It adds to the stregnth of the whole roof system that is needed.
I kinda favor the old fashioned post/beam 2'o.c. truss, 2x4 laid flat (purlins)and easy ceiling/insulation finishing job. I really hate those short joist hanger nails!!

Yea i wish i could do my purlins 2x4's and laid flat but i have a couple of 12' spacing between the posts. So doing hangars is much stronger than just laying them up on edge on top of the trusses?
heres a couple of pics of what i got going on

Attachments

• DSC01589.jpg
    DSC01589.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 1,829
  • DSC01586.jpg
    DSC01586.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 1,835
   / Pole barn roof question #9  
Can you put the rafters 4' O.C. and use 2x4's flat?

What is your truss spacing? 2x6s Seam awfully stout.

2x6s almost have to be set between the trusses but hangers are not necessary. You can use a 1x2 or 2x2 or bigger ledger board nailed to the side of the truss for the purlins to set on. This works very well. Saddle hangers can be a real PIA when it come to screw the roof steel down.

the post spacing is different all the way down the furthest is 12'.....Yea im sure the hangars are a real PIA but they shouldn't get in the way of the roof steel. The truss manufactors are calling for 2x6's for purlins for the best support. The top cord of the trusses are 2x6 so if i lay the ledger board down the 2x6 purlins would stick above the trusses a inch or 2...but that is a really good idea with the running a ledger board along side of the trusses it would save me some money on buying all them hangars but would it be as strong as the hangars??