Pole Barn

/ Pole Barn #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
Well I have been shopping around for a company to build a 40 X 50 pole barn with a 15ft shed. I think I am going to go with a company out of Oklahoma (USA Barn). They seem like a good company and are very friendly and quick in answering questions and getting quotes out to me. From others who have used them they seem very happy. I just now need to plot where I want the building and have the wife choose the colors. Then I need to get the area level, which I am a little nervous about. I think I can use a line level with no problem, but I am sure there are steps that need to be taken such as removing the topsoil and then using lime dust and then AB3 gravel to finish it off. I don't think it will take much to get level, but never doing it I am probably way off. I plan on getting 2 10 X 10 doors, 2 walk doors, 2 or 3 windows, insulated, and 4 to 6 skylights. I will pour a floor later. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Thanks.

/ Pole Barn #2  
I use a transit level, but you can do with string level pretty easy also. mark outside the approximate corners of the barn with stakes. mark a line on the highest stake. run a line level from the highest stake mark and mark level on the other 3 lower stakes. you should now have a level mark on all 4 corners. you can pull strings between the level marks if you want, as a guide for the FEL as you remove dirt. Remove dirt keeping the entire area the same distance down from your level mark. hope this is what you were looking for.

/ Pole Barn #3  
I'd suggest a water level - that way you don't have to worry about string sag or wind.
yes, you need to remove the topsoil.
up here the excavators suggest "pit sand" as a base if you'll be adding concrete later - but I've also used agrilime in a pole barn in the past and had good results with that.

good luck!

/ Pole Barn #4  
Some other TBN'ers buiding pole barns, etc. have made the comment that it is good to have a door high enough to drive in a large camper/RV. That made sense to me, don't know if it applies to your project.

10' high would be enough for most utility ag tractors with a cab. The mid-size (70-100 HP) seem to spec at 102" - 108" from what I have seen on line.

Anything road legal for interstate travel would be under 13'6". I think their reasoning is for another 4', you have barn that holds about anything you may own in the future and/or you would be able to rent or lease storage space.

I have a 28 X 48 garage with 8'-6" door clearance, I think that was short sighted planning on my part.

Just food for thought.

Dave.

Last edited:
   / Pole Barn #5  
Well I have been shopping around for a company to build a 40 X 50 pole barn with a 15ft shed. I think I am going to go with a company out of Oklahoma (USA Barn). They seem like a good company and are very friendly and quick in answering questions and getting quotes out to me. From others who have used them they seem very happy. I just now need to plot where I want the building and have the wife choose the colors. Then I need to get the area level, which I am a little nervous about. I think I can use a line level with no problem, but I am sure there are steps that need to be taken such as removing the topsoil and then using lime dust and then AB3 gravel to finish it off. I don't think it will take much to get level, but never doing it I am probably way off. I plan on getting 2 10 X 10 doors, 2 walk doors, 2 or 3 windows, insulated, and 4 to 6 skylights. I will pour a floor later. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Thanks.

Nissan197,

I recently had two pole barns built. Like you I shopped around and looked at USA Barns. I went with a company out of Tahlequah, Ok that builds a lot of barns in Kansas. The Company's name is Diamond H Construction. They were very good to work with and did me an outstanding job. They beat every quote I received from USA Barns.