pole barn

/ pole barn #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Well, we are thinking of putting up a pole barn on the property. We had been looking at a big shed, but for the cost, plus the fact that we will need a big building sooner or later anyway [cars, boats, tractors, etc] we may just bite the bullet and put one in now.

I am thinking of something about 35x40 feet. Does any one know how much I can expect to pay? Any one knows a good place to research pole barns, and pole barn construction? Thanks a lot.

Paul Bradway

/ pole barn #2  
Paul,
You might want to contact JimBinMI here on the board,for he just put up a pole barn also there pictures....he did a grand job.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ pole barn #3  
Paul,

I built a 40x60 foot pole barn about a year ago. I use it to store my horse trailer, flat beds, tractor and such. I did not put up walls, just 6x6 support posts 12 feet apart. I didn't want walls because I use it as a pull through. In other words, when I am bringing my horse trailer in I pull in one side of the pole barn. When I need to take the horse trailer out, I hook up and continue on out the other side. This keeps me from having to back my trailers into the bay. Saves a lot of time. Even without walls all my equipment stays dry.

The basic of the building is this: I wanted to be able to pull a 12' high trailer under cover. I didn't want any center support posts. Wanted 5 12' bays. I didn't want walls, but did want gables on either end made of 2x6s.

The trusses are 2x6 and pre-manufactured in a factory. This was the only way to get a truss that could span 40 feet with out a middle support post. It is the same trusses used in chicken houses. I went with a Hunter Green metal roof.

I hired a crew of framers who build chicken houses to help me. The total cost of material and labor was $8,300. It took us 5 days to build...we also built another pole barn that is 16x40 for the fifth wheel during that time. The $8,300 was just for the 40x60. The 16x40 was $4,000.

Make sure to use good quality lumber. My brother built a barn using cheap lumber. Lots of problems. If you hire someone to help make sure they have experience, can save a lot of heart ache and agrivation and time. Like I said, the guys I used build chicken houses everyday, this project was nothing to them.

Hope this helps.

Bill Cook

/ pole barn #4  
Paul, also check with WVBill on the board. He built a really nice looking barn and has lot's of pictures and experiences to share. I'm going through the same process you are right now... dreaming /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Also try Morton Buildings http://www.mortonbuildings.com/MortonBuildings.htm. They make a top notch building. If nothing else get a quote from them. It would probably be the top end of your price range for planning. Good luck and keep all of your forum friends posted on your progress.

Rob
18-25126-790sig.gif

/ pole barn #5  
my ex-neighbor had a 40-60 built in 93; by a company out of oklahoma, they travel to all states adjoining oklahoma, but don't know if they go any further; it has 10 ft clearance, maybe 12; is enclosed, with 2 big sliding doors and one walk in door; 4 men showed up on monday and went home on friday, and it was complete, they also used trusses; $7,000. then another 5k to concrete the floor; i will try to get the name of the company, they advertise in the rural electric magazines.
heehaw

/ pole barn #6  
Paul,
I just built a new polebarn last year. It was 45 x 63x12. This was with two 12 foot doors and 1 service door. I bought it as a kit from Menard's. They give you the plans, all the steel is precut, get you all the materials delivered to your site. My brothers came out from Idaho for the week and we put it up in 6 days. Total cost for the builiding including putting in the electrical, gutters, and water was $8,546. This didn't include any labor as I did it myself.
Richard

/ pole barn #7  
Lot's of things to consider when putting up a pole building, and price is definitely one of them, but not the only one. We built a 24 x 32 building in 1993 and if I had it to do over again I'd probably go at least 32 x 48 knowing what I know now. You'll fill your pole barn to whatever size you put up, so try and build the largest you can now. I saw a package deal over the weekend comparable to the building we put up in 1993 (T1-11 siding, shingle roof, 4x6 poles, sliding main doors, one entry door, no windows) for about $4,800 from Central Michigan Lumber (Lapeer, MI), delivered to the site within some number of miles.

Overall size: not just length by width, but also height. We have 9 ft. clearance inside the building with 8 ft. doors. OK for my use, but you need to consider whether 10 ft. or 12 ft. sidewalls will better serve your needs.

Doors: need to think about access to the building itself. Generally, more doors mean easier access and often times better utilization of floor space. Also, do you want sliding doors, overhead doors, or both in different areas of the building? Entry doors also need to be part of the thought process.

Siding/Roofing/Insulation: steel sided buildings are pretty common, although lots of folks use T1-11 cedar siding for appearance, and many use particle board covered with vinyl siding. Some folks use steel roofing, while others use shingles. I like a shingle roof....seem to get less condensation and it's quieter when it rains. Insulating all or part of a pole building gives you options as far as a heated workshop area or an area to keep the tractor so it'll start when the temp is real cold.

One story or two story: two story pole buildings give you lots of options. A gambrel roof provides a great storage/workshop area. Single story buildings are generally less expensive to build and finish.

Floor: what are you going to be using the building for? We put in a floor consisting of a sand base topped with road gravel. It's packed into a rock hard floor that is basically no maintenance. A cement floor costs more, but has a lot of benefits....even if you only do part of the building in cement initially.

All of this to simply say, you need to figure out what you want before you get too far into pricing. Talk with local lumber yards...most have pole building packages that can be customized to meet your needs. Also, they know of reputible builders that will put them up for you. And, if you can muster some help, putting up a pole building can be a lot of fun. Try Home Depot or Lowe's for info on pole building construction. I've seen a variety of books there on different building plans and pole building techniques.

Just like buying a tractor, once you nail down what you want, you can then compare prices from different sources to get the best deal for you.

Good luck.

Bob Pence

/ pole barn #8  
800-235-8168; Wilsons Construction; 40x60x12 for $9295; 30x50x10 for $7000; this is installed prices, i think??; don't know if they will travel to your area or not..
heehaw

/ pole barn #10  
I agree with Bills suggestion about using good lumber. I spent all last summer fixing about half of the posts(poles) in our 36X90 horse barn. Termites and rot had gotten to the 25 year old creosote lumber. Termites had crawled up inside some posts and eaten a few rafters. This is probably obvious, but CCA treated lumber is the way to go and when I replace this barn I'm going to try to use as much treated lumber as possible. Most DIY kits and Morton and the like use CCA boards up several feet. It may be overkill but I'll probably use CCA at least the length of the posts. I've seen what these nasty critters can do.

Grant