pole barn

/ pole barn #12  
Shade, I couldn't get your link to work. Mind double checking it?

Bill Cook

/ pole barn
Well, it looks like I have some research to do.

Now, One more question. Steel, or wood? What is better?

Thanks

Paul Bradway

/ pole barn #14  
"cca"; better watch it close; i built a 30x30 pen in 1988; using 6inch dia, 8 ft cca treated poles for the corner post; i put a young jack in there in 97 while i was getting him use to me, he was tame, just didn't come when called; well, the next morning, he was no where to be found, till i went to the neighbors, who has a biggggg gelding, oh yes, i forgot to mention, this was a small standard jack, i'm 5'9''; an he came up to just above my waist; anyway, to make a long story short; it cost me some pretty good $$$ to have the bigggg gelding mended...jacks don't like geldings; and geldings are scared to death of jacks; the race was on, and the gelding hurt his foot trying to out run the jack.. 2 out of 4 of the cca treated post were just shells; the jack was probably scratching his ___ and the post fell over, so he meandered off an found some trouble, for me, to get into; i gently pushed on the other post, and one just pushed down..the others are solid as a rock; oh yes did i mention that the 20 year warranty is bs...i guess that depends on where you buy them..but my dealer wouldn't replace the rotted ones..if i buy cca post again, i'll soak the base in a diesel/oil mix before use...oh yes, till the gelding hurt his foot, it was kinda funny to watch that giant of a horse running from a little jack.., and the jack never did catch him..
heehaw

/ pole barn #15  
heehaw,
I had the same thing happen but it wasn't funny at all. About a mile down the road there's a lady that keeps all kinds of animals. Well she had a little jack stud that they had never cut. He got out and trotted down to my place and got in with two of my roping geldings. It was about 2 in the morning and my wife woke me up and said she thought there were coyotes chasing the horses. I have mares and foals too so I thought one was after one of the foals and had gotten into it with the mare. I grabbed my gun and headed out and got to the first pasture and here was this damn donkey with my 10k roping horse by the throat! The horse was starting to go down and you could tell he only had a little time left. I went over and started knocking the donkey in the head but he wouldn't let go. I tried to pry his mouth off but couldn't get him loose. About that time the horse fell and I knew it was about over. I had to shoot the donkey in the head to keep him from killing my horse. Horse was barely breathing and I felt and his larynx was crushed. Wound up having to put the horse down too. Luckily the lady had money and she did pay for the horse but what a tragedy.

Richard

/ pole barn #16  
Paul:

I've been out of town for the last several days so I'm jumping in kind of late here.

We put up a 40 X 32 Pole Building(barn) last summer. My web page
http://members.aol.com/wvbills/BarnRaising.html has the complete "story".

I adapted the plans from a stock set of pole building plans I got at 84 lumber.

Send me an e-mail if you have any specific questions.

/ pole barn #17  
Bill,
the link worked for me when I cut&pasted it, but here it is directly:

link

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ pole barn #18  
Aaah, the things people get into with animals they know too little about./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Lots of folks in this area have donkeys in with their cattle, goats, and sheep to keep the coyotes from getting the little ones. When I had goats in a relatively small pen, a neighbor's dog got in there and chased them around a couple of times; fortunately didn't hurt any of them. But then I bought a young donkey gelding and put in there. Bad decision. He could see other donkeys quite a ways off and paced back and forth along the fence like a caged lion for a couple of days, wanting to go join those other donkeys. Then he went berserk, grabbed one of my adult nanny goats by the neck, was slinging her back and forth over and broke her neck. I went after him with an axe handle, he dropped her, grabbed a little goat by one leg and was running from me, carrying that little goat; finally dropped it with no injuries. Quite a circus, me chasing that blasted donkey with an axe handle, wishing I had a gun to shoot that sucker and my wife trying to get all the goats into the barn and close the door. Needless to say, that donkey was in the auction barn the next day, and for that matter, all the goats were, too. I decided I'd had enough of that.

Bird

/ pole barn #19  
when i had the gelding/jack race goin; i asked my neighbor to get me his gun, he asked why, an i said i'm gonna shoot that *&^ donkey; but he wouldn't let me have the gun..the gelding ran into the pond, an i knew what would happen then, but "luckily" i got to the gelding before the jack did, waist deep in the pond..but the leg was already hurt..
i sold that jack the next day for $25...an he was really tame once he was caught...i blame the cca post for the whole thing..he had never made any attempt to get out of any fences..but when the fence falls down, why not walk out..
i now have a really small jack..36 inches at the shoulder, but he also has electric fence around the acre thats fenced with web wire under barbed wire...and he loves to be petted..he's still a jack, so i am verrrry careful, especially in the spring..worse than a teenage boy...i have 2 standard jennies i keep with the other critters to keep the coyotes an other predators at bay, an 2 minature jennies to keep the jack company..i want more minature jennies..
heehaw

/ pole barn #20  
Now I know why your name is HEEHAW!!!!