Pole building foundation question

/ Pole building foundation question #11  
Using gravel under concrete is acceptable but using gravel to fill above the front line seems like a bad idea. Pole barns usually don’t have a perimeter footer though.

/ Pole building foundation question #12  
Another issue to consider, is to make sure that natural water runoff drains well away from the building. Also, make sure there are no stock ponds or water collection sites within 75 feet of the foundation, as these introduce a local water table that can play havoc for the foundation with seasonal soil movement.

/ Pole building foundation question #13  
I have never heard of the crushed rock method up north. Water will get into the rock and freeze, thaw will make that part of the foundation move around. I'd not do the rock method.
This guy is correct.

/ Pole building foundation question #14  
I'm all for thinking about what a few hours with a dozer can do. That was a mistake I made. A good dozer can transform areas in little time. The solutions you're talking about should only be considered if you don't have any extra land.

/ Pole building foundation question #15  
Thanks for all of the replies/info.

@EddieWalker , It's possible that the 2nd contractor intends to build up soil against the concrete along the sides and in back. I need to verify that. There would be room to do so (although I'd have to take down a few more trees). I assume that his method would then be acceptable, since the concrete foundation would now be buried below frost level?
In theory, I guess it's possible to pour the wall on top of the existing grade, and then build up the soil on both sides, but in reality, it's very VERY hard to get compaction with something in the way. Compacting soil is a science. People get University Degrees in how to do this. Doing it wrong will lead to a lifetime of issues. In my opinion, this guy wants to cut corners, or just doesn't have a clue. Either way, avoid hiring him and ignore everything he said.

/ Pole building foundation question #16  
I'm all for thinking about what a few hours with a dozer can do. That was a mistake I made. A good dozer can transform areas in little time. The solutions you're talking about should only be considered if you don't have any extra land.
Yes Indeed. Here in Texas, that's why most specialized foundation crews have gone to tracked skid steers to prepare the foundation grade, distribute and compact the fill. Probably a tracked skid steer is 3x faster than a dozer, 6x faster than a loader and 10x faster than a tractor. Tracked skid steers may weigh 10,000 lbs, but are as nimble as a cat.

A good experienced foundation crew can typically complete a 40' x 60' foundation pad in just 4-days and its ready for the concrete pour. That work includes delivery of the fill, distribution, compaction and leveling of the fill. And trenching any required foundation footings and columns, and final installation of the concrete forms with rebar.

/ Pole building foundation question #17  
Yes Indeed. Here in Texas, that's why most specialized foundation crews have gone to tracked skid steers to prepare the foundation grade, distribute and compact the fill. Probably a tracked skid steer is 3x faster than a dozer, 6x faster than a loader and 10x faster than a tractor. Tracked skid steers may weigh 10,000 lbs, but are as nimble as a cat.

A good experienced foundation crew can typically complete a 40' x 60' foundation pad in just 4-days and its ready for the concrete pour. That work includes delivery of the fill, distribution, compaction and leveling of the fill. And trenching any required foundation footings and columns, and final installation of the concrete forms with rebar.
I can't imagine a worse machine to compact soil then a compact skid steer. Nothing with tracks should be used to compact soil. Tracks spread the weight of the machine over a large area so it floats on the soil.

/ Pole building foundation question #18  
That's your thinking. But you have never actually tried using a tracked skid steer for foundation pad construction, or you would not be saying that.

/ Pole building foundation question #19  
That's your thinking. But you have never actually tried using a tracked skid steer for foundation pad construction, or you would not be saying that.
Im guessing they are compacting it just a few inches at a time?

/ Pole building foundation question #20  
I can't imagine a worse machine to compact soil then a compact skid steer. Nothing with tracks should be used to compact soil. Tracks spread the weight of the machine over a large area so it floats on the soil.

A tracked skid steer works fairly well for compacting if you do it in small lifts and the moisture is right. But if you were in the business of building pads you’d be crazy not to have a vibratory roller. A roller is way faster, does a better job and looks nicer when it’s done.