pole saws at work (photos)

/ pole saws at work (photos) #11  
I had a Tim the Tool man moment and bought the biggest Stihl pole saw. Cuts great but kicks my Arse every time I use it. it's like trying to hold a bag of cement with a broom handle. anyone want to buy it? lol..

/ pole saws at work (photos)
Here is a few more. As stated earlier, when we hike in, we can only bring a limited amount tools with us. The pole saw gets the most work done and we don't leave home without one. (we actually have more than one)

Attachments

• pole saw Ryan.jpg
    pole saw Ryan.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 197
  • rangergateliner62.jpg
    rangergateliner62.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 187
  • defendertools.jpg
    defendertools.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 200
  • polesawtrims543.jpg
    polesawtrims543.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 183
   / pole saws at work (photos) #13  
I have used powered pole saws.....I choose to own a manual pole saw/pruner for ease of use.

/ pole saws at work (photos) #14  
I have used powered pole saws.....I choose to own a manual pole saw/pruner for ease of use.

+2. Murphy has already trimmed the low hanging branches; it seems everything I want to get now is at or above the very limit of the pole's extensibility. I do not want to balance a bag of cement on the end of a longer broomstick or try to control a heavier boom with topping lift and guys. I covet a bucket truck.

The problem with manual saws is after the 10th cut, you start to wonder about the next 30. We normally do trial work for 8 hour days. Why did push rel mowers loose popularity??

Attachments

• polesaw432.jpg
    polesaw432.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 163
  • polesaw036.jpg
    polesaw036.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 166
  • polesaw162.jpg
    polesaw162.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 175
   / pole saws at work (photos) #16  
The problem with manual saws is after the 10th cut, you start to wonder about the next 30. We normally do trial work for 8 hour days. Why did push rel mowers loose popularity??

Some people just get wore out earlier than other's I guess.......:laughing:

/ pole saws at work (photos) #17  
I have an Echo pole saw and it's amazing how quickly that I can create a mess that takes all day to clean up!! Now, most of the time, I just use the pruner with the manual saw blade at the end to cut down an annoying branch, and then call it done.

Yep, it is amazing how much fun it is dropping all those annoying limbs. Then you look behind you and realize there is a lot of work to do.

Yep, it is amazing how much fun it is dropping all those annoying limbs. Then you look behind you and realize there is a lot of work to do.

Bucking the limbs off generally takes two people to do. Nonetheless, lots of works get done which is our goal. Pole saws rock in our book. My professional stihl saw comes out once or twice a year of trail clearing.

/ pole saws at work (photos) #19  
I've 4 pole saws. Two are powered one is a 40V HF Lynxx, $140 w/ 2.4 AH battery for $140 that extends to 8' 10", one an Echo PPT280
Polesaws are just saws on poles. They can be manual saws or powered (electric chainsaws, gas, 2 stroke). Have not seen a diesel, saw a rare hydraulic.
Manual work real well with a sharp blade and a strong arm. They are relatively light weight compared to a powered saw but you provide the power.

I've a lot of hardwood trees that need trimming down in Mississippi. Mostly gum. I was using a 17' telescoping fiberglass polesaw. Worked well but I don't think I ever got through a 4" diameter branch in 7 pulls, especially not after the first couple.

So I bought an Echo PPT 280 w/ 4' attachment, this let's me go out 17 feet. Basically a 30cc chainsaw on a stick. Like a Stihl MS 170.

Here's my son using it at 12'

543871d1520971746-looking-pole-saw-g4-ppt280-jpg

Here's most of it w/ attachment

543872d1520971761-looking-pole-saw-echoppt280at17feet-jpg

and here's the first limb I cut at full 17' extension

543873d1520971766-looking-pole-saw-echo-limb-17ft-jpg

That being written I'm probably going to be getting a Lynxx 40V pole saw, just to add to my toolset. I can envision using it when I'm up in trees or on a ladder.

To the OP - If this is going to be occasional use determine if you will want other tools that will use the same battery.
Check for the possibilities of extensions.
Look for youtube videos of it's use.
Find an assembled one and hold it out at full extension for 5 minutes to see if you can handle it. They get heavy quick.

I've used the Echo maybe a dozen times, it's HEAVY and put on 10 lbs the last two years.
The Lynxx is my "favorite". I've about 2 hundred yards of "lane" and parking lot with overhanging trees to trim that grows quickly in Mississippi. With the Lynxx I can sit (or stand) on my M4700 drive a few feet, trim, move on and repeat. When I'm accurate I can drop the limbs in the bucket as I trim.

But it's no good beyond 8'. For that I've 2 regular manual pole saws which are good for the occasional cut, but extensive use is tiring. If I need to chainsaw a tree at a distance I pull out the PPT-280, the 28cc chainsaw on a 16' stick with a 12" bar. I had about 200' of buildings that needed limbs trimmed back and the only way I could do it was from the roof. I knew a battery powered pruner was going to be to short and I was wearing myself out doing the trimming on the roofs with the manuals.

I've also got the High Limb Brand CS-48 Rope-and-Chain Saw for the occasional special case.

If you've got a lot of trees to trim up high and you are young get a Silky pole saw and build up your arms. For the OP's use I'm surprised he's not using battery powered, just because of the concept of gas in the woods.

/ pole saws at work (photos) #20  

Yes^^, I just burned what I had cut in a weeks time. I had about 50 grapple piles to run to the burn pile so I burned one night into the next morning. I don't know how I did it before I had a grapple!