pole saws at work (photos)

/ pole saws at work (photos)
I hope this shows people just how much utility you can get out of a pole saw. If only one saw can go out with us, it will be one of those. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• gorge working box (DL).jpg
    gorge working box (DL).jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 185
  • rangergateliner62.jpg
    rangergateliner62.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
   / pole saws at work (photos) #22  
I hope this shows people just how much utility you can get out of a pole saw. If only one saw can go out with us, it will be one of those. :thumbsup:

A few years ago I was going to my sister's house to do some cleanup work, so bought a pole saw attachment to go on my father's Stihl Kombi power head. What a handy tool! Only a tiny chain and 12 " bar, yet I was cutting oak limbs as big as my leg. My only concern was if I pinched the bar when it was 6 feet over my head, so I ensured that it didn't happen. The downside is that it was a borrowed power head, so now I have the saw with no way to use it here. I did use it when I went down and pruned apple trees though, and it carved 4 hours into one.

Just out of curiousity, what trails are you cutting? it seems like you spend a lot of time doing it.
Yes^^, I just burned what I had cut in a weeks time. I had about 50 grapple piles to run to the burn pile so I burned one night into the next morning. I don't know how I did it before I had a grapple!

You were younger then. Now you've paid your dues, and letting Mr Hydraulics assist you. :thumbsup:

A few years ago I was going to my sister's house to do some cleanup work, so bought a pole saw attachment to go on my father's Stihl Kombi power head. What a handy tool! Only a tiny chain and 12 " bar, yet I was cutting oak limbs as big as my leg. My only concern was if I pinched the bar when it was 6 feet over my head, so I ensured that it didn't happen. The downside is that it was a borrowed power head, so now I have the saw with no way to use it here. I did use it when I went down and pruned apple trees though, and it carved 4 hours into one.

Just out of curiousity, what trails are you cutting? it seems like you spend a lot of time doing it.:

Pole-saw bars of course on occasion do get pinched, but we've got them out every time. I will saw pole-saw operating is much harder on chains and bars. We do ski trails, bike trails and hiking trails.

/ pole saws at work (photos) #24  
Pole saws are really great when you go into a new area where there’s low spreading trees like Mesquite or cedar and you want to limb them up without having to crawl in between the branches to get to the trunk (especially if there’s prickly pear growing around the base).

Pole saws are really great when you go into a new area where there痴 low spreading trees like Mesquite or cedar and you want to limb them up without having to crawl in between the branches to get to the trunk (especially if there痴 prickly pear growing around the base).

We used them to get into brush as you state all the time. They rock at that. Here is another photo I found.

Attachments

• colinpolesawing.jpg
    colinpolesawing.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 205
   / pole saws at work (photos) #26  
You were younger then. Now you've paid your dues, and letting Mr Hydraulics assist you. :thumbsup:

On the neighbor's side of the fence, my White Pine limbs are impeding his equipment so we are talking about doing some trimming there too. We will more than likely use his telehandler with one of his baskets to travel right down the fence line. We just have to trim them to clear his quad axle dump trucks.

/ pole saws at work (photos) #27  
I also use my pole saw to take out trees that are in a very dangerous (to me ) circumstance. ie not sure how or where they will fall , steep or rugged terrain where I don't have an easy or good escape route. Just make a regular notch and make the back cut from a safe distance with the pole saw.

I stopped by our locale Echo shop yesterday for service and while there, checked out there telescoping style saw. No way would I carry that beast around for even a few hours. Our non-telescoping style weights 1/2 as much and is shorter.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 166
  • EPP01.jpg
    EPP01.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 159
   / pole saws at work (photos) #29  
I looked up the specs of my pole saw or one close to it, it’s a little over 15 pounds, this is for a Stihl extendable gas powered type. It looks like extended it’s about 12 feet long. For reference my MS 261 chainsaw weighs 2 or 3 pounds less. If I use the pole saw for an hour I am wore out, but that is usually all I need it for. The advantage of it is the reach and good power. I’ve also learned a shoulder strap will allow about half the weight to be carried by your body.

Our working on trails today. This the set with us. Have the extender along but rarely install it.

Attachments

• P1050374.jpg
    P1050374.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 155
  • P1050375.jpg
    P1050375.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 158
  • P1050376.jpg
    P1050376.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 167