Pond question

/ Pond question #21  
If the bluegill were spawning they would be holding tight to their beds in that shallow water. I bet it was an oxygen issue. Probably pretty stagnate water in those shallow beds. Assuming the chemical was labeled for aquatic use and the applicator used it properly then it's very unlikely that is what killed the fish. EPA won't give a label to a product if it has a bad ecotox profile.

/ Pond question #22  
We have a 14 acre pond of which most is 8-10' deep but it does have a section that is about 24' deep. We put 70 grasscarp in 24 years ago and they did very well but a few years ago we had a long snow covered ice condition which caused a major fish kill including all o f the grasscarp. So we had to restock but we only found 23 grass carp as they had mostly died through the years and 20 years is about their life. 70 in a 14 acre pond will definitely not keep all the weeds down but they sure make a difference. I would suggest about 1/3 of the population you want about every 6-7 years. That way you will have a good mixture of ages as when they get older they slow down and that includes their appetite.

/ Pond question
We have a 14 acre pond of which most is 8-10' deep but it does have a section that is about 24' deep. We put 70 grasscarp in 24 years ago and they did very well but a few years ago we had a long snow covered ice condition which caused a major fish kill including all o f the grasscarp. So we had to restock but we only found 23 grass carp as they had mostly died through the years and 20 years is about their life. 70 in a 14 acre pond will definitely not keep all the weeds down but they sure make a difference. I would suggest about 1/3 of the population you want about every 6-7 years. That way you will have a good mixture of ages as when they get older they slow down and that includes their appetite.

I just stocked sterile grass carp in my lakes. They recommend 10 min per acre to 15max. So a 14 acre lake needs a minimum of 140 to do the job for most sites.

/ Pond question #25  
Agree Sawtooth 10-15 per acre but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve - 15/acre and many tell me I would not have a weed in my lake and that would kill the fish habitat. With 5/acre like I have stocked it I do not have excessive weed growth so that I have weeds lying on top, so I do not have stagnant water as the wind and and other things agitate the water, i.e. no mosquitos. These fish also thin the weeds adequately that my boat motor can get through so my family can enjoy the pontoon boat and our swimming area. The fishermen that come in tell me it is great fishing because there is some outstanding hiding spots and a lot of sunfish and bass breeding activity that there is great food for the larger fish to grow and fun fishing for kids.
So for those three criteria - no stagnant water, boat usage, and good fishing - I do not stock as heavy as is recommended. keep in mind though a lake that is not as deep as mine will have more growth and need more carp to attain these goals so it depends on the lay of the lake as well, i.e. depth, open to wind, is there an inlet and outlet, and many other factors that weigh on the decision.

/ Pond question
Do you see them very often? I put in 40 a few weeks ago and expected to see them feeding around the edges. So far I haven’t seen the first one.

/ Pond question #27  
Do you see them very often? I put in 40 a few weeks ago and expected to see them feeding around the edges. So far I haven’t seen the first one.
Due to their color they are difficult to see unless the water is clear and it's sunny.

/ Pond question #28  
In a year or two when they get big.....you'll see the big wake they make from swimming away as you walk around the pond

/ Pond question #29  
Check with your state before going the grass carp route. They are illegal in many states, even if sterile. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the law.

/ Pond question #30  
Rarely at first as LD1 stated. They are quite skittish and stay away from activity but as they get larger they are much easier to see and they do stick together so when they move they create a wake after a couple of years.