portage blue mystery question.

/ portage blue mystery question. #21  
When I went to Boundry Waters in the 70s it was pristine. If memory serves, the canoe park was 99% in Canada but one of the lakes had a tiny section in US. This was the only lake with any type of development at all. Houses, boats with motors etc.

None of the lakes in the rest of the park had anything, nothing, nada. We would go days without seeing anyone. You were lucky to find the next portage. You could drink the water from the lakes. Lots of odd regulations about campfires and certain food you could take in, no live bait for fishing etc etc. No motors of any kind.

i hope it's still like that.

/ portage blue mystery question. #22  
Well there you go.... dog sled poop.
That's disgusting. Any decent dog musher would carry a plastic bag with them and pick up their sled poop.

/ portage blue mystery question. #24  
Its unpractical for them to pick it up. I'd guess you don't know anyone who mushes.
Twas a joke in reference to picking up your dogs poop. Not necessary to be offended by it. Sorry if you were.

/ portage blue mystery question.
When speaking in person, its quite easy to see the kidding which I do much, while in person. Via email or on forums, its not at all easy to see..

Last edited:
   / portage blue mystery question. #26  
When I take the bears mushing, I am careful to pickup the poop they leave behind. I sell it to a local Starbucks for a popular latte' flavor: "Grin & Bear it".

Attachments

• 20200928_120135.jpg
    20200928_120135.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 79
   / portage blue mystery question. #27  
Twas a joke in reference to picking up your dogs poop. Not necessary to be offended by it. Sorry if you were.
I laughed hard because I was, at the time, just coming in from running my kid's dog in our back yard and picking up the poop. :p

/ portage blue mystery question. #28  
When I take the bears mushing, I am careful to pickup the poop they leave behind. I sell it to a local Starbucks for a popular latte' flavor: "Grin & Bear it".
You always have to keep your eye on them, too. Danged kids these days...

Attachments

• 20200905_085014.jpg
    20200905_085014.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
   / portage blue mystery question. #29  
I use to participate in some of the longer snowmobile races when we lived in AK. We would instal a very special type of high temperature Hyfax on the sliders on the snowmobiles. It worked fairly well but on the really long runs - Anchorage to Fairbanks or the Big Lake 250 we also added "oilers". A very simplistic system of adding liquid soap/water mix to the Hyfax. Increased lubricity and helped cool the Hyfax/runner interface. Hard to believe, but at zero or colder the runners would get hot enough to start melting this high temp Hyfax. Unfortunately - I never won or even placed. The big name sleds all had company sponsored teams. They alway took home the trophies.

/ portage blue mystery question. #30  
When speaking in person, its quite easy to see the kidding which I do much, while in person. Via email or on forums, its not at all easy to see..
No worries, and you're right, the only thing I know about dogsledders is what I've seen on "Life Below Zero".