Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools?

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
I need to get some new cordless tools. My Dewalt 18v has gotten to the point that only one battery works, and it's maybe 10% of its orginal power. I also have a Ryobi 18v charger, 3 completely dead batteries, and 2 chargers to go with an impact driver. I'm seriously considering getting the Porter Cable 20v drill/impact kit from Lowes for $149 Shop PORTER-CABLE 2-Tool 2-Volt Max Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Cordless Combo Kit with Soft Case at Lowes.com. I know Porter Cable and Dewalt are both owned by the same company, but I'm pretty sure batteries are Not interchangeable. There is also a similar 20v porter cable drill/impact kit for $179 at Lowes Shop PORTER-CABLE 2-Tool 2-Volt Max Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Cordless Combo Kit with Soft Case at Lowes.com but I'm not sure what the difference between the two is.

So, anyone have the Porter Cable 20V Lithium tools? Do you like them. I use tools around the house, not to earn a living, money is tight, but I would like to get something better than the 18v Ni-Caf Ryobi stuff. I have considered getting drill and Lithium charger and batteries for the Ryobi, but I would be close to the same price.

Edit; I read some where that maybe the cheaper Porter Cable set uses a "dumb" charger, and you have to make sure to remove the battery once it's fully charged to avoid "cooking" it. that seems like a real pain the the butt, and I would think all chargers atleast turn to "trickle" charge once fully charged, right?

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #2  
I have a pair of cordless drills and recently added a 4" grinder. I'm well pleased with them. I leave my batteries in the charger all the time, they haven't burned up yet. I had Makita stuff prior to this, working it every day.....9.6 nicad originally, then 18v nickel metal hydride later. Time will tell on number of battery recharges I guess.

My tools came with the smaller battery (2amp/hr ? ) and I bought a couple of the larger 4amp/hr ones as well.

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #3  
I've recently been going to DeWalt 20V max lithium ion cordless tools. So far everything is working great. When I pick up a tool, it works and has held its charge for the weeks since I last put it down. I too got tired of buying NiCd batteries for too much money only to have them die a short while later. From now on it's lithium for me.

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #4  
I have been looking at getting one of the 20v Rockwell's with Brushless motor and lifetime battery replacement off of Amazon

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #5  
I have been looking at getting one of the 20v Rockwell's with Brushless motor and lifetime battery replacement off of Amazon

Yes I've been choosing brushless motors for more battery life too. They cost a little more but it's worth it.

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #6  
I've used Porter Cable since the 12V era tools with good success. I had worked up to 18V, but just couldn't justify going to 20V. When my shop burned in January, I lost them all, so a trip to Lowes was in order & came home with a 20V set of drill, impact driver, reciprocal saw, oscillating tool & charger. I've since added another drill, angle grinder & circular saw (it may have been in the original set, don't remember) & rapid charger. I've used PC too long to change! :D

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools?
I ended up getting the Rigid 18V LI drill and impact, charger, and 2-1.5 AH batteries for $149.

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #8  
I ended up getting the Rigid 18V LI drill and impact, charger, and 2-1.5 AH batteries for $149.

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did. I fought them for 2 years and finally gave up. My Makita is better I think.

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #9  
I have both 18v NiCd and 20v Li drill drivers and impact drivers for years.

8wXPlqpl.jpg

I like the Li because they are considerably lighter than the NiCd. The issue is that the Li is torque limited. If you are driving a large lag or using a larger drill bit when the torque level reaches a certain limit, the drill just shuts off. I suspect it is designed to keep the battery from overheating and going nuclear.

The 18v will keep driving until the torque required exceeds the capacity of the tool.

/ Porter cable 20v lithium ion tools? #10  
I don't notice a lack of torque from Li-ion batteries. If it is low, then yeah they might shut off, but it's still got more torque than a Ni-Cd that needs charging. I recharge my Li-ions pretty much after every use unless it was something very small, I've read it's not good to let Li-ions go completely dead and they definitely seem to last longer this way.