Post Hole Digger for BX Series

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #11  
Barry,

Mine doesn't have down pressure. Mine runs a 9" auger.

The clay we have here is tough enough, you can't dig it with hand post hole diggers. First cheapy set of those I had, I socked it in the clay, spread the handles, and promptly bent the metal.

My 2200/PHD has never balked at digging in the clay. With a proper cutting edge and adjustment, should work fine.

ron

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series
Tom_H said:
Barryh,

Have a read through the thread below. I think it may give you a higher confidence in the abilities of your tractor. blackmajicwoman put a Woods BH6000 backhoe on his BX1500. Take a look at the trenches he dug and the stumps he pulled. Now it is true that I have not personally run a sub-compact PHD on a BX1500. In my own mind, I think that if my BX2200 can run a full sized PHD, ultrarunner's BX23 with LP PD10 and downpressure unit drills in serpentine rock with little effort, and blackmajicwoman can do this extensive backhoe work with a BX1500, I have a strong confidence that the BX1500 should have no trouble running a LP PD10 or Gearmore D20 in the soil you describe.

Again, I have not seen the combo, but hopefully these facts can ease your mind about the decision you are trying to make. It is your money, and I understand well not wanting to buy something when you aren't sure it will work. I myself have duripan-the hardest hardpan there is. Shovels and prybars just bounce off it, even when it's had water sitting on it for weeks. I debated for years as to whether a BX with backhoe could dig in it. A TBN neighbor, BX23Barry, brought his tractor over recently, and it did indeed dig in the stuff. That relieved my mind enough to order a Woods BH6000 for my BX2200. So, I agree with your caution. blackmajicwoman has other threads re. his BX1500. You can find those and posts by ultrarunner by using the search function. I hope this extra information is helpful as you try to make the best decision. Here's the main thread with blackmajicwoman's BX1500 and the Woods BH6000 backhoe:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...500-woods-bh6000.html?highlight=BX1500+BH6000
Thanks Tom, I never had any doubts that my 1500 can handle a post hole digger. I just want to make sure I get the one with the best fit. I plan to tool around in the back woods with it and want enough clearance to maneuver around without getting hung up. The 1500 is slightly lower than your BX2200 for sure.

Thanks for the thread link. That doesn't surprise me at all, some great pictures there. I have every confidence in my 1500. If I could justify a woods backhoe I would buy it in a minute. I just don't have enough projects around here to warrant buying one at the moment. Sure looks sweet mounted on his tractor. ;)

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #13  
Barry,

If you are gonna tool around in the woods, you might want to make sure you have a skid plate under your BX, if you don't already.

There's a lot of fragile stuff under there that tree limbs just love to break.

ron

RonR said:
Barry,

If you are gonna tool around in the woods, you might want to make sure you have a skid plate under your BX, if you don't already.

There's a lot of fragile stuff under there that tree limbs just love to break.

ron
Thanks Ron, that's on my long list of things to do this spring. I really just bought the tractor late fall early winter. I have read about the plastic fan loosing blades etc. Glad to hear you can dig in clay with no problems. I have a lot of fencing and planting I want to do this year. This should make the work much easier. Thanks to everyone for their comments it's been a big help. ;)

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #15  
I ran a Leinbach L-7200 on my BX1500 with absolutely no trouble at all. The 3PH geometry was fine and it drilled 36" down at just a tick above idle through tough virginia clay. When the bit encounters a rock, it will either pull it up or just sit there and spin.

AceDeuce said:
I ran a Leinbach L-7200 on my BX1500 with absolutely no trouble at all. The 3PH geometry was fine and it drilled 36" down at just a tick above idle through tough virginia clay. When the bit encounters a rock, it will either pull it up or just sit there and spin.
Ace, thats one of the units I'm interested in. Now that you say it matches up to your 1500. I'll be looking a lot closer. Got any pictures of that little tractor in action? Thanks a mill for the reply. :eek: ;)

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #17  
I have that exact PHD. It fits just fine on my BX22, and works well depending on the soil. Power is no problem I usually dig at just above idle. In soft soil, not cliche or real hard packed clay it will dig all the way down to the gear box. Soil here is very hard in most places. I put carbide teeth on mine.

Jimbrown said:
I have that exact PHD. It fits just fine on my BX22, and works well depending on the soil. Power is no problem I usually dig at just above idle. In soft soil, not cliche or real hard packed clay it will dig all the way down to the gear box. Soil here is very hard in most places. I put carbide teeth on mine.
Sounds good, appreciate it. :eek:

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #19  
Actually, I'm the person that Mr. AceDeuce sold his PHD to. I haven't had occasion to use it. I'm going to be digging holes for my Dad's privacy fence in the spring.

When I mounted it on my 2230 immediately after purchasing, I could lift the tip a solid 6 or 8 inches off the deck. I could definitely see dragging the tip if you transport the unit with the auger attached...unless your project is at the end of your driveway, I'd say it is far more likely that you would drive to the project site WITHOUT the auger attached, then slap it on once you get to where you don't care if the tip drags/digs in the ground.

I think the only difference between the BX1500 and my unit is the high of the tires.

/ Post Hole Digger for BX Series #20  
When I drive mine around from place to place I take a tie down strap and pull the auger forward and cinch it up. that gives you plenty of cleareance and keeps the auger from swinging back and forth.