Post hole digger stand

/ Post hole digger stand #51  
Here's one that I saw on another post and saved a pic of. That's a pretty good way to park a PHD, pretty simple to build out of wood too.

Postholediggermount.jpg

/ Post hole digger stand #52  
I might as well post a pic of mine too:

Attachments

• phd_stand.jpg
    phd_stand.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 3,906
   / Post hole digger stand #53  
Great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ :laughing:)...

The big difference I was playing with was the two support points so that there was little to no lifting. I'm not getting any younger here. The Speeco had that bracket thingy on the main arm that made the two point hanging work. The dolly on wheels (like kebo's) is all about better storage of indoor stuff. It sure looks like the single hang point design achieves a balance point (as seen in Equine Network - I like the architecture of your top support :thumbsup:), but I think the two support is even less lifting and work to attach and get the tractor positioned correctly.

MtnView, I'll have to time it but it sure seems like a 5 minute job to position and attach it. I really want to wait until my iMatch dolly is done (built it today, should be dry by tomorrow) and get a total time to remove the iMatch and put on the PHD then go the other way. In addition to less lifting and work, the easier it is to change out attachments the more likely you'll do it and use the right tool for the job.

And as always, the jump from no solution to any solution that works is the biggest jump you can take. We're all just messing around with that last 5 percent of the problem :).

Pete

/ Post hole digger stand #54  
I've found that I can attach and remove the PHD very quickly with this rig (never timed it, but no more than a few min). Since the PHD is fully suspended, I can swing/move it into whatever position that's needed very easily. Anyways, this works for me!

/ Post hole digger stand #55  
...Anyways, this works for me!

There is nothing better in life than something that works :D. Hopefully some day I'll come across a "single hanger" and can compare the amount of work to lift it. For people reading this post, there are lots of good designs that work well.

Now if the rain can stop and the mud can dry, I've got a bunch of holes to dig. Maybee I can send the rain to Michigan and Maine where they need it...

Pete

/ Post hole digger stand #56  
I'm not sure about the other single point hanging stands, but with mine, there is no lifting to mount the phd other that the 4x4 cross beam to be able to drive away. ;)

/ Post hole digger stand #57  
It dawned on me last night that I can just not use the forward attachment point and be able to compare a 2 vs 1 hanging point. I'll do that soon and post the result. Wouldn't be the 1st time I'd over thunk something :laughing:.

Pete

/ Post hole digger stand #58  
I was thinking of using a Harbor Freight engine crane. This one is on sale. Have to see if it has enough height.

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 432
   / Post hole digger stand #59  
I copied MtnViewRanch's design, it works like a charm. The only disadvantage I can see is that you have only one spot to park the PHD. That's fine with me, I have limited yard space available anyway.

The PHD is perfectly balanced hanging on the stand, you can position everything with one hand if you had to.

Thanks again for the help, Brian.

Sean

/ Post hole digger stand #60  
So I put the PHD on the tractor, then took it off and only used the 1 rear hanging point. I disconnect the lift arms 1st on removal, connect them last on install. It was a little harder to take the PHD off at the toplink since there was a bit more lifting involved, and a lot more pull on the pin. It was a little harder still to put the PHD on with more lifting and so forth to get the toplink on. Basically, by the time you wheel it around a bit you have to lift the PHD arm up a few inches, support it, and get it lined up and put the pin in. With the two support points, it was much closer to lined up and less lifting to get the pin in. Pin removal with the 2 support points took near zero force- when you set the PHD down, it all settles to the right spot.

I think the 2nd support is a win, but then I already put in the effort to build it. It is clear that as I get older (which some days seems like it's in about 20 minutes) that I'll like the 2 support system more and more. I understand that it just takes one hand to position everything, it's just when that ugly arthritis starts to set in seems like the one hand can do less and less.
BTW, it's definitely less than 2 min to remove, less than 4 to put on including firing up the tractor to get the lift arms close to the right height :thumbsup:.

Maybee the answer is build your dolly stand so it can take a 2nd set of supports, then if some day you need them you can add them. If you're over 60, just build the two support system.

Just my opinion, YMMV, void where prohibited. I'm through singing now.

Pete