Post puller….

/ Post puller…. #21  
I have one on my Kioti Ck3510. Works fine on small stuff- in my case of heavy clay soil 3” about the max. Grab on and rock back and forth then pull
Mart,
Which brand do you have on your CK? Tital? MTL? other? Assuming it mated right to your existing SSQA on the ck?
Thx.

/ Post puller…. #22  
On a CK4010 I have the stinger stp-34. A neighbor saw what I was doing, then got a used titan puller for his skid steer.

"Ok now I know why u kept taking trees out! Cleaned up at home at night and now working down the road on my dad's and uncle's field. Just watch out for bigger mulberry trees and don't grab an oak...."
They both work with the ssqa. The stinger can grab a bigger mouthfull of small stuff. His was less expensive, works nearly as well.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
   / Post puller…. #23  
Mart,
Which brand do you have on your CK? Tital? MTL? other? Assuming it mated right to your existing SSQA on the ck?
Thx.
Titan and yes quick attach SSQA

/ Post puller…. #24  
I spent maybe half an hour trying to pull an oak a bit under 3" with my 25 hp 2500 base weight tractor, using cable grips on an adapter on the FEL. I'm wrapping a few turns of 5/16" cable around the trunk at least two feet above ground level, having already cut the tree above this level. I was shifting it plenty but didn't get it out. I was getting one or the other rear to come off the ground slightly, which could get scary except I'm operating in the lowest gear and I don't think I'm lifting them an inch before I can clutch and let them down. My rears are filled and I could add an 800 lb ballast box, but this also sounds like it could get hard on the equipment. Oaks are more difficult that way, I think, and our ground is this awful bank gravel cemented together with clay. I pulled the cable out of the clamps several times and am breaking strands, though I have a good amount of cable available. But I had to stop, not enough time. Will get another chance Monday morning, and I might start pouring some water into the gap around the tree to lubricate the whole operation.

Maybe I can shower myself with mud in the process. If anything amusing results, I promise to post.

/ Post puller…. #25  
Seems like it would be safer and give better results to use the tractor drawbar to pull it with a chain wrapped around a wheel? And/or wait until the ground has been saturated with moisture over this winter so you aren't dealing with concrete hard ground.

/ Post puller…. #26  
Oak has a very long tap root. The tensile strength to snap that root is 10,000psi. Hickory also has a strong tap root. I have not managed to get one out yet by just pulling on it.

/ Post puller…. #27  
So I got a little work done at the property…
And I decided that the many small trees might be best handled by the titan post puller..

Anyone else have one?

Nope, I just put on the forks, put the tree trunk between the forks, wrap a log chain around the forks and a few wraps around the tree trunk, and lift up. I do the same thing for fence posts. Fence posts are a lot easier than trees to pull out.

The thing I see this tool doing for you is that it obviates the need to wrap a log chain around the trunk, you just drive up and wedge/pinch the trunk in the crotch of the tool. If you have a bunch of trees to get, it would save some time. Whether or not it's worth the price of admission is up to you. I can tell you I took out a fence line by pulling up the posts with a log chain and forks and it only took about 30-40 seconds per post to wrap and unwrap the chain.

/ Post puller…. #28  
20200911_162610.jpg
I bought a new MTL attachments puller back about 2 years ago. You have to be easy as it will just cut small saplings in half.

/ Post puller…. #29  
Seems like it would be safer and give better results to use the tractor drawbar to pull it with a chain wrapped around a wheel?
Not sure I follow. What wheel? Are you rolling just a wheel, by itself, over to the stump, putting the chain on top of it, running the chain approximately horizontally to the drawbar, and using that wheel kind of like a gin pole? Or are you wrapping the chain around a wheel on the tractor to create a winch?

Some of the things this could have meant seem like a way to flip the tractor over backwards on top of a tree stump. Yikes.

/ Post puller…. #30  
There's a whole thread that discusses this method. Here's a link to one post with YT videos demonstrating it.

The short version is the drawbar is the lowest center of gravity that you can pull from. Instead of pulling a tree from a sideways direction where the tree is most resistant to being uprooted, putting the chain over a tire allows you to pull upwards on the tree.

One can't afford to be stupid about this, however. If the tree is too big, you could flip the tractor or break something. Dead limbs can fall on the operator's station. If you are successful at pulling the tree, the tree will also fall towards the operator's station. You have to use careful judgment about how big a tree you deem safe to pull.

Pulling tree out with wheel & chain?