Power Line to my house was broken

/ Power Line to my house was broken #161  
I once worked where there were several wells to supplement the city water purchased. The city had meters on the wells so they could charge for the sewer side.

/ Power Line to my house was broken #162  
Do they really remove the meter here too? Seems like there are a lot of other safer ways to do this.

Pull the meter, put a blank front in place of it, put a security tag on it and it's just as safe as having the meter in there.

Aaron Z

/ Power Line to my house was broken #163  
That's an impressive memory. My neighbor lives on the far side of his land and his tenant lives on the other side. The tenant was out of town that weekend and somebody broke into the shop and cut the wires at the panel, and cut the wires at the meter. It's a couple hundred feet from the meter to the breaker box. They tied the wire to a Duelly struck and pulled the wire out of the conduit in the ground, out his gate and then about half a mile down the road. Then they rolled it up and disappeared. It was very easy to follow the path they took, they took out a few mailboxes before stopping.
It was easy to remember because it was such an odd event.

Some time after that power line was stolen for copper, the power company was putting up new power poles in town. They dropped off the poles along the road and I noticed that the poles had copper wire installed. Figured they must not be worried about copper theft because it would have been easy to steal that cooper.

We had a run on HVAC systems being destroyed for copper in the nearby cities. Along with tearing apart houses for the wiring and I remember an restored Victorian house that lost its copper down spouts. :eek:

Then there was the catalytic converter thefts. That died off but we just had bunch of thefts recently. :mad: Thankfully, the guys doing the thefts were caught.

Later,
Dan

/ Power Line to my house was broken #164  
People in some areas "borrow" others water meters. Can you imagine taking the meter from your neighbor so they don;t have water. Consulting for a water firm, and this happened a lot in one state, but was pretty common.

Do they really remove the meter here too? Seems like there are a lot of other safer ways to do this.
Our water meters were inside the house when we lived in the city. Only a wire to an electric read-out was on the exterior of the house.

/ Power Line to my house was broken #165  
When we were in the city, we had a water usage bill and a sewer charge. The sewer charge was based on the water usage the first 3 months of the year. So you never washed your car or watered the lawn in Jan, Feb, and Mar. Some folks didn't even take a bath those months. :ROFLMAO:

/ Power Line to my house was broken #166  
We were never that lucky at our last house. Sewer was based on water usage all year long.
Here on well, system maintenance UV, filter and 3 year pump out much cheaper.

/ Power Line to my house was broken #167  
I finally put in a well last year to get off the town’s water because of low pressure & flow. Stinky water too. $12k. It’s going to be one long payback period vs. $40 a month bill. Well worth it though to get a decent shower and be able run a lawn sprinkler If needed.

/ Power Line to my house was broken #168  
I can't imagine that because I don't have a water meter and none of my neighbors do either. Never had one. Never saw a water meter used with a well.

Don’t give anyone ideas to charge us for well water!!!

I put nothing past some folks.

MoKelly

/ Power Line to my house was broken #169  
Some states put meters on Ag irrigation wells to monitor or limit usage. Don’t know if there are any usage charges but there can be fines for over pumping.

/ Power Line to my house was broken #170  
We have water but don't have sewerage in our rural section of the parish. People with sewerage are charged according to the amount of water they use. When one greedy politician found out that there were hundreds of us without sewerage not paying anything for it, he got a proposition passed to put a sewerage surcharge on everyone's property tax bill so now we are paying for something we don't even get.