Power Steering leak

/ Power Steering leak #1  

kmart

Tractor
Mahindra 5500 4WD
I have a power steering leak on my Mahindra 5500 4WD. It looks like the leak is directly under the steering wheel where the column slides down in to the gear box. Has anyone else had this problem? I think that an O-ring kit would fix this issue but I want to make sure. Can someone out there help me out?

/ Power Steering leak #2  
I have a power steering leak on my Mahindra 5500 4WD. It looks like the leak is directly under the steering wheel where the column slides down in to the gear box. Has anyone else had this problem? I think that an O-ring kit would fix this issue but I want to make sure. Can someone out there help me out?

I had a 7520 a few years ago that was leaking and found a allen head plug just ahead of where the shaft went into the box, that was loose. I tightened it and that was the end of the leak.

/ Power Steering leak #3  
I have a Mahindra 6000 that curently has the same exact problem. I went to the the dealer and look at the diagram of the steering system and found out that there is a seal kit that will fix the leakage problem. The dealer shown two different kit for my model year, so I have to remove it off the tractor first and match it. I have not have any time to work on it yet. I hope this help.

/ Power Steering leak
Supersport, thanks for the help. That definitely helps me out. I thought that might be the solution but wanted to make certain.

/ Power Steering leak #5  
Update - I got the leak fixed with the rebuilt kid from the dealer. The hardest part was removing the pipes that connected to the steering unit. Replacing the bushing, o-rings was easy. Also, to diassemble the steering unit, you need a tork socket with a thin wall to fit in the hole of teh unit.I got the socket from Northern Tool. I hope this help.

/ Power Steering leak
Supersport, Thanks for the update. I am in the process of trying to remove the steering unit & have been catching heck trying to get the pipes removed. I have all 3 of the hard steel lines removed but the flexible hose is a different size & I have to go buy new wrenches to remove it. I can almost get it out but will have to remove this last hose. How did you gain access to the steering unit? I just removed the lower panel in front of the gear shifters & have been working on the right hand side to remove it. There has to be an easier way. I did get an o-ring kit from my local(60miles away) Mahindra dealer but it was the wrong one. I am not that much of a mechanic so I was thinking about taking the unit to the dealer for them to install the kit. You stated it was rather easy. Could a Novice install it?

/ Power Steering leak #7  
Take your time, I removed the following: glove box, idle lever, idle cover gauges console. The flexible hose can be removed using a adjustable wrench. Here are the steps:
1- Remove glove box
2- remove idler cover (rectangular metal cover by the feet)
3- Remove gauges console (4 screws, set the console on the gas filler without remove the wirring harness)
4- Remove the idle lever.
5- Remove the pipes.
6- Remove the steering column

The steering unit should drop down at this point.

/ Power Steering leak
Supersport,

Thanks for the information. I finally got it off. Now I have the o-ring kit to install. I know where o-rings 1,2 & 4 go but the 3rd one is a little bit tricky. I have added some pics for reference. Does the 3rd ring go inside the bottom of the unit or on the end of the gear shaft? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• P-S gear unit.jpg
    P-S gear unit.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 1,231
  • P-S gear shaft.jpg
    P-S gear shaft.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 1,367
   / Power Steering leak #9  
Supersport,

Thanks for the information. I finally got it off. Now I have the o-ring kit to install. I know where o-rings 1,2 & 4 go but the 3rd one is a little bit tricky. I have added some pics for reference. Does the 3rd ring go inside the bottom of the unit or on the end of the gear shaft? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey man, I'm sorry for your trouble with your tractor and hope you get it quickly resolved.

I don't mean to get off the subject of the original topic but I'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind...

Have you had any problems or dis-satisfaction with your Mahindra? If you purchased it from a dealer, or brought it into a dealer for service, How did the dealer treat you and resolve the problem(s) ? How many hours are on your Mahindra 5500 4WD ? Lastly, would you buy another Mahindra tractor?

Thank You Very Much.

/ Power Steering leak
All, I finally got the diagram of the HSU that I needed from Lawallstractor. He has been a great help but I need some more advice. I don't have wrench needed to remove/unscrew the bottom of the HSU to install the bottom o-ring. I have seen a wrench like this before but I don't know what it is called. There are 2 holes around 15/16" apart. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Bottom of HSU.jpg
    Bottom of HSU.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 760