PowerStroke ICP sensor to monitor hydraulic pressure?

/ PowerStroke ICP sensor to monitor hydraulic pressure? #1  

jigs_n_fixtures

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T233
I was looking on ebay for an electronic oil temperature gauge to monitor the hydraulic temperature. Found a manufacturer who has a gauge to monitor the fuel pressure on a Ford 7.3 power stroke using the factory ICP sensor. The gauge has a range of 0 to 4000-psi. the tractor hydraulics relief pressure is 2750-psi. So, I’m well within the pressure range of the gauge and sensor.

Does anyone know of a reason I cant just buy the sensor, and the gauge, and use them to monitor hydraulic pressure. I know I’ll have to figure out where to tap in to the hydraulics, but that is the minor part.

/ PowerStroke ICP sensor to monitor hydraulic pressure? #2  
sounds like it would work but I find hydraulic temp is not a problem. Most tractors have a large sump capacity that acts as a heat sink. especially in winter. I can blow snow for an hour at pto rpm and the hydraulic oil doesn't get past 105 degrees F

you might get into a issue with the pressure spikes generated through use. My tractor system is 2650 psi but the 3pt safety valve is set somewhere around 5000psi I like to know system pressures as a diagnostic tool, but I don't think there is a need to see the pressures all the time.

/ PowerStroke ICP sensor to monitor hydraulic pressure? #3  
sounds like it would work but I find hydraulic temp is not a problem. Most tractors have a large sump capacity that acts as a heat sink. especially in winter. I can blow snow for an hour at pto rpm and the hydraulic oil doesn't get past 105 degrees F

you might get into a issue with the pressure spikes generated through use. My tractor system is 2650 psi but the 3pt safety valve is set somewhere around 5000psi I like to know system pressures as a diagnostic tool, but I don't think there is a need to see the pressures all the time.
Yeah, you would more likely overheat the engine before the hydro, which is why the manufacturer provides a gauge for engine temp. As you said, the entire case is acting as a heat sync and there should be hydro cooler coil in the fan stack as well.

Attachments

• 102934.png
    102934.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
   / PowerStroke ICP sensor to monitor hydraulic pressure? #4  
Why a digital gauge and worry about wiring and power. Whats wrong with a simple mechanical gauge for pressure?

/ PowerStroke ICP sensor to monitor hydraulic pressure?
There isn’t a convenient place to mount gauges on my subcompact.

I‘m thinking of adding a three gauge cluster with a volt meter, oil temperature gauge, and the pressure gauge. I would mount them on the front of the canopy, because that is where they can be mounted and easily visible.

I’m looking at electrical/digital, because the logistics of running a set of wires, is lotus easier than the tubing required for machanical gauges, And frankly, running a 2700-psi line up around my head doesn’t seem like a great idea.