Praying Mantis

/ Praying Mantis #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
Wife hollered at me yesterday that there was a praying mantis in the kitchen.
As I was waddling to the rescue I was thinking how strange it was for a one to be active this time of year.
She pointed out the half inch monster to me.
When I asked where the rest of them were she freaked and asked there is more.
The egg sac that I failed to see on our Christmas tree had hatched.
I worked into the night catching them.
Have caught well over a hundred so far.

IMG_4627.JPG

/ Praying Mantis #2  
Watch out for Mama Mantis.... don't they like to bite heads off?

o_O

/ Praying Mantis #3  
Keep em for your garden. Those things will do what insecticides can’t.
Kill bad bugs without killing you.

/ Praying Mantis #4  
We had that happen once. The local State Park took them in attempt to keep them alive until Spring. Not sure how it worked out.....

/ Praying Mantis #5  
Cute liitle things.......I love to see Praying Mantises around my place.

/ Praying Mantis #6  
Nature’s bug zappers! Put a few in your wife’s bed!

/ Praying Mantis #7  
Hahahaha!!! That happened to us in January of 1998. I got a call at work from my not so happy wife. 5 year old child was sleeping. Wife was feeding the 6 week old. The Christmas tree had been stripped of ornaments and lights and she'd been after me to take it out of the house for a couple days. And then a tiny praying mantis shows up on her arm while she's feeding the baby. Then another. Then she notices them on every piece of furniture in the living room. :oops:

I came home and vacuumed them up. There were hundreds. For months after that we'd find them around the house. I recall reading the paper and having one sitting on the lamp watching me. As I watched it, another one climbed over the top of the paper! We'd find them in dresser drawers, under the furniture, in the basement :ROFLMAO:

I showed your picture to my wife, and she was not amused, and reminded me it was my fault for not taking the tree out when she asked me to. 24 years and she's still not too happy about that incident. 🙃

/ Praying Mantis #8  
I have never seen the tiny ones. Around here they are a pastel green in the spring. Turn to a desert tan in the summer/fall. Always welcome ......

/ Praying Mantis
I carryover a few plants and a potted tree in the unheated side of our basement. It rarely gets below 60. I placed them all on the plants. I know there are insects around them. Misted everything down with water.
Im still catching a few stragglers.
We will see what happens.