Preferred gas engines for 1 ton pickups

/ Preferred gas engines for 1 ton pickups #181  
I have 2 TS trannys in my 04 F-250 Powerstroke and in my 06 F-350 Powerstroke and my uncle has one in his 05 V-10. All three trucks are 4x4 short bed extended cabs. They all get worked hard towing 15,000# up every summer. My two diesels, both with Quadzilla chips and other extras get about 7,000 miles of hard towing, some of which is putting in 25,000# boats on a slick boat ramp.

To be honest the 3 guys I know with Allison's and the one I had have had only one issue and it was on a leaking rear seal on my neighbors.

My Dodge auto in my 2500 I had went out 3 times before 80,000 miles.

The TS is the most adaptable tranny out there when building HP in stock form. If you chip them to maybe 500HP and 700 FTLB they will last a long time. Can not say the same about the Allison or Dodge.

Chris

/ Preferred gas engines for 1 ton pickups #182  
. My two diesels, both with Quadzilla chips and other extras get about 7,000 miles of hard towing, some of which is putting in 25,000# boats on a slick boat ramp.

Off topic, but your two PSDs would actually do better with custom tunes. Quadzilla isn't bad compared to Edge and what they do with the TS, but custom really has been proven to be the best for longevity when talking about the TS.

I have gone through a lot of blood, sweat, and tears with this truck on getting it put down over 500hp at all 4 rear wheels.

/ Preferred gas engines for 1 ton pickups #183  
Mine had zero problems by that time. I had just installed the goodies right around there, so I still had another year of driving before it started to slip(~40k within that year, I spend a lot of time with my butt in the truck seat). Now the cummins auto and the 7.3 auto both crapped out around that time you had your one problem. 7.3 was burned up, and the cummins one of the servos was gone.

I have yet to hear of one problem where the TS did what the Allison did(on stock trucks mind you, not tuned, the TS only really likes custom tunes, not off the shelf tuners like Edge(which is crap on so many levels) to my friend after just 4 months. It was completely fried. Might have just been a fluke, but I never had a fluke like that with my TS.
Both mine and the DM powered one that ended up in the shop were 2001 units. They had corrected the problem by 2003 and knew that some of the 2001s would be failing. Mine ended up with a cracked flexplate. They also did the shift improvement kit at the same time and added a new front seal because it was starting to leak.

As for the strenght of the tranny, there are improvement kits out there that will allow the Allison to handle 1000Lb/ft torque and 600 HP if you want to go that high. An example is at Allison 1000 Performance Transmission from PATC, Allison 1000 Performance Parts A built Big Block or DM could see those kind of figures. Or if you really need HP, just build up a 572. 1K HP. :D

/ Preferred gas engines for 1 ton pickups #184  
Both mine and the DM powered one that ended up in the shop were 2001 units. They had corrected the problem by 2003 and knew that some of the 2001s would be failing. Mine ended up with a cracked flexplate. They also did the shift improvement kit at the same time and added a new front seal because it was starting to leak.

I'm wanting to say my friends was an 03 or 04 because after 4 months next thing I knew he had one of the early 6.0s. I didn't get mine til 05 even though they call it an 06.