Pressure Testing a BX2200

/ Pressure Testing a BX2200 #1  

tomnky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I am getting ready to pressure test My BX2200 , for the many times mentioned annoyance of running warmer than it should.

My question is this: How many have actually pressure tested their system and if You have, What adapter have You ended up using to fit the radiator?

I have already talked to the Snap-On Dealer and he thinks he can can mate me with one by using the old radiator cap. I have already done the change-out of gauge and sending unit plus cleaning of the radiator, Which has had the coolant change regularly with a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol.

Any ideas as to just what size adaptor it takes to fit these radiators?

Last edited:
   / Pressure Testing a BX2200 #2  
I am getting ready to pressure test My BX2200 , for the many times mentioned annoyance of running warmer than it should.

My question is this: How many have actually pressure tested their system and if You have, What adapter have You ended up using to fit the radiator?

I have already talked to the Snap-On Dealer and he thinks he can can mate me with one by using the old radiator cap. I have already done the change-out of gauge and sending unit plus cleaning of the radiator, Which has had the coolant change regularly with a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol.

Any ideas as to just what size adaptor it takes to fit these radiators?

You should check with the local toyota or isuzu or hyudai dealers as the radiators they use are very small. I just had my Isuzu truck radiator changed changed after 14 years and it also has a small cap and neck.

There are only 2 major radiator builders in Japan and they have a huge range of products and one of the two supplies radiators to the Kubota corporation.

Have you asked the kubota dealer near you what adapter they use?

I would find another tool dealer "mac" or "Matco" or NAPA and ask what they use for testing import cars radiators for pressure

Have you changed the themostat or removed it to boil it in a pan of water to check it for its opening temperature?

Is the v belt tight or is the radiator dirty or plugged?

Is the coolant overflow reservoir at its normal fill level when cold and hot?

Is that motor equiped with a chaff screen in front of the radiator?

leon

/ Pressure Testing a BX2200
Belt is tight, new thermostat as well , radiator cleaned( air and water hose). Dealer I have not asked as of yet. The tractor only has 230 hours on it as I bought it new and has not been used that much for mowing or using the front blade for snow removal.

I have not changed out the radiator hoses yet but do have new ones that I picked up last week.
From what I have read in some newsgroups Kubota is somewhat prone to head warpage and head gasket problems. I just want to make sure I don't have any deeper problems.

There are are a bunch of adapters offered for imports.

Last edited:
   / Pressure Testing a BX2200 #4  
I have a BX2350, so this might not apply to you, but when I bought mine, they talked to me about the temp gauge. They said it should climb up near the hot range but not get in it. The dealer said Kubota had a lot of complaints where people thought they were getting to hot. They did some testing with digital gauges to check the temp. and everything was O.K. When I am mowing on a really hot day, my gauge will climb pretty high but does not get in the red.

/ Pressure Testing a BX2200 #5  
When mowing hard my BX 2350 creeps up almost to the red, I check the temp with one of those non contact thermometers and it is running about 205. Interestingly, if you remove the skirt around the engine (looks like he** when you do) it will run about 10 degrees cooler. I've looked at ways to improve the air flow without taking the skirt off, but am at a loss so far. Your BX2200 might be suffering from the same affliction.

Mine has never made it to the red on the gauge, I have noticed that it reads less immediately after shutting it down and turning the key right back on. This makes me wonder if vibration attributes to some degree of higher levels.

I intend to get a pressure tester and make sure just what is going on. I think these units would have been better served with a higher capacity radiator though.

/ Pressure Testing a BX2200 #7  
My BX2200 with 700 hours seems to run quite cool, taking less than one quarter of the gauge span. I have wondered if this is too cool.
I runs well, so I don't worry about it.

I am not too sure what pressure testing will accomplish if the water/coolant is not actually boiling. The pressure will raise the boiling point of the fluid, but will not change it's temperature at all. I am sure you know all this, I mention it only as a thought provoker...to break loose you ideas and those of others.

My radiator really needs a good blowing out and gathers lots of dust, as does the chaff screen.

/ Pressure Testing a BX2200 #8  
Belt is tight, new thermostat as well , radiator cleaned( air and water hose). Dealer I have not asked as of yet. The tractor only has 230 hours on it as I bought it new and has not been used that much for mowing or using the front blade for snow removal.

I have not changed out the radiator hoses yet but do have new ones that I picked up last week.
From what I have read in some newsgroups Kubota is somewhat prone to head warpage and head gasket problems. I just want to make sure I don't have any deeper problems.

There are are a bunch of adapters offered for imports.

Have you measured the water temp or are you just going by the dash mount guage????

The only way to be sure is to check the water temp with a known good accurate guage. You may have a faulty sender or dash guage.

Pressure testing will tell me if I have a leak , say a leaking head gasket and or a head cracked. In other words a leak within the system.

I have already replaced the thermostat , gauge, blown and cleaned the radiator,

/ Pressure Testing a BX2200 #10  
Pressure testing will tell me if I have a leak , say a leaking head gasket and or a head cracked. In other words a leak within the system.

I have already replaced the thermostat , gauge, blown and cleaned the radiator,

What about the sending unit?