pressure washer problems

/ pressure washer problems #1  

bob_wood

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 4610, kubota 4200, JD 455, Toro 256E zero turn mower, Case 135 excavator, hydraulic dumpcart
I have a " Northern Star " ( Northern Tool ) belt driven pressure washer with a 13 hp Honda engine on it that is given me some trouble . Unit is probably about 8 yrs old but has had minimal trouble free use. Now the engine dies when i turn the washer gun / wand on. Engine seems to run good until I try to wash, then it shuts down soon after the wand trigger is pulled. I checked sediment bowl, gas flow, sparkplug looks ok, and checked air filter. Anyone have any experience with pressure washers and Honda engines ? :) Thanks.

Bob

/ pressure washer problems #2  
Maybe something is wrong with the pump and dragging it down.

/ pressure washer problems #3  
The carburetor may need rebuilding. The ethanol content in the gasoline today is wreaking havoc on small engines and the rubber parts in them. Also-the ethanol attracts water so fuel does not last as long as it used to even with stabilizers.

/ pressure washer problems
Maybe something is wrong with the pump and dragging it down.

I was thinking that might be a possibility too. I checked the oil level in the pump and It was ok. Think engines can run ok but bogg down or die under load... not quite sure how to troubleshoot this one. Ill disassemble and have a look atthe belt and pump shaft. Thanks Kyle

bob

The carburetor may need rebuilding. The ethanol content in the gasoline today is wreaking havoc on small engines and the rubber parts in them. Also-the ethanol attracts water so fuel does not last as long as it used to even with stabilizers.

Yea Ive been hearing that more an more about the ethanol problem. Maybe I'll try draining the gas and put some fresh gas in. The washer Has sat for awhile without use ... Thanks Kenny

Bob

/ pressure washer problems #6  
I have had the same problem with mine. Take the pump apart (pretty straight forward task) and check for an obstruction in one or more of the ports. I actually found wood chips in mine. I assume I got them in the end of hose when I laid it on the ground before hooking it to the washer. There are also some orings that could have broken and causing some blockage.

I have had the same problem with mine. Take the pump apart (pretty straight forward task) and check for an obstruction in one or more of the ports. I actually found wood chips in mine. I assume I got them in the end of hose when I laid it on the ground before hooking it to the washer. There are also some orings that could have broken and causing some blockage.

My washer has an input strainer and I Did check that and it was fairly clean. By taking the pump apart I assume u mean unscrewing all those big plugs on the pump housing? Never worked on pumps much but I can take a look in the ports. Thanks Kernopelli

Thanks again guys, this gives me a few ideas.

Bob

/ pressure washer problems #8  
correct me if i'm wrong, but the pump is still turning even when the trigger on the wand is not pulled. it just pumps the water in a circle through the unloader valve. then, when you push the trigger, the unloader valve closes and the liquid is diverted through the wand.

soooo... doesn't that eliminate the pump as the problem? could be an obstruction somewhere between the unloader valve and the nozzle or, as mentioned above, a problem with the engine - carburation, governer, etc.

amp

/ pressure washer problems #9  
Hiya,

I would look at the governor and carb system before I pulled the pump apart. When you trigger the wand you cause more load on the engine.

If the gov doesn't respond to the additional load and open the throttle automatically, the engine will stall.

If the main jet is plugged in the carb, when the throttle is opened by the governor, the mixture will lean out and stall the engine.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ pressure washer problems #10  
I have the 5.5hp version of the same washer. Mine just started doing the same thing. It would start, run and I'd bring it up to speed. As soon as I pulled the trigger on the spray handle, it would seem to run out of gas.

I checked everything. I rocked the unit to stir the fuel then dumped it into a drain pan. Put fresh gas and tried it again. Same thing. I then pressurized the tank (to about 4-5psi) and worked the fuel shut-off valve back and forth about 5-6 times. Fired it up and it's been running good since.

The only thing that I can figure is there must have been some crud or gum clogging up the shutoff valve. Try it. Your mileage may vary.