pressure washer problems

/ pressure washer problems
I'm a Honda Engine Dealer and have had my share of troubleshooting with them.
The fuel tank has a very fine strainer in the bottom and for the most part it won't let water through, BUT vibration will let some pass. When ever I service an engine I have a vacuum syphon that hooks to an air hose. I suck the liquid from the sump around the fuel strainer and collect it in a clear container and check for water. I've had engines come in that wouldn't start and I found 6-8 oz of water in the tank. (The guy using that engine ask to go home early and was told no) When changing the fuel you need to get ALL the old out. Soak it up with a paper towel for the last drops.
DO NOT use a Champion spark plug. I've had too many problems with them on Honda's and other engines. Honda calls for NGK and I have only had a couple fail. Make sure it's the right plug, for some reason people like to put short reach plugs in. It needs a long reach, about 3/4"-1".
When the engine is running, try closing the choke about half way and see if it runs smoother. (the choke should have light detentes open and closed) If it does the power valve is stopped up (part # 27) I have a fine piece of stainless wire I use to clean these. The orifice is in the very bottom and the thing is plastic so be careful trying to clean it.
The governor has only one adjustment and it shouldn't change unless someone messed with it.
Honda engines are incredible when they are working right and that is most of the time! Try these tips and see if they help.

When I drained the fuel, all I could get out, I looked in the tank and I saw the fine strainer you are talking about and was wondering if it was clean ...couldnt really see it that good.Could I put some compressed air into the gas line / tube at the carb end to try and clean the tank filter? Also was wondering if I should have tried to wick the rest of the gas out of the bottom of the tank ... I didnt but I will tomorrow. And I will install a long reach NGK plug.
Per my earlier posts, should the engine ever go to full choke on its own ? Mine Does sometimes.
Only happens when I first start the engine and its coughing and sputtering as I try to increase RPMs.

IN spite of the problems I am having with my Honda engine, I have had Many years of great service out of this engine and I'm sure I'll get many more out of it when these little problems get cleaned up.
Thanks Stimw

Bob

Last edited:
   / pressure washer problems #52  
I would try to get all the old gas out. Using a paper towel to get any drops of water is a good idea. I haven't seen the screen clogged, you could blow it out if you have air and it wouldn't hurt to blow out the tank. They do get dirt in them.
If the choke has the detentes open and closed it should be OK. I've seen them worn and would move around on their own. If the engine backfires it could blow the choke shut. Backfiring is another symptom of the power valve stopped up.
To remove the power valve you remove the idle screw then remove the little plastic keeper on top of the valve then, (I use needle nose pliers) carefully remove the valve. The valve has a small O-ring on it and Honda doesn't sell just the O-ring so be careful with it and put a little oil on it to install or it will tear. If you can find a tinny piece of wire clean the hole in the bottom of the valve. There is a 1/8" hole sideways in the valve. the hole from the bottom goes into this hole.
Again, to check if the power valve is clogged, close the choke about half way. If the engine runs smooth it's clogged. I've fixed dozens up on dozens of engines by cleaning that valve. I could have sold a bunch of carburetors but I'm too honest.

I would try to get all the old gas out. Using a paper towel to get any drops of water is a good idea. I haven't seen the screen clogged, you could blow it out if you have air and it wouldn't hurt to blow out the tank. They do get dirt in them.
If the choke has the detentes open and closed it should be OK. I've seen them worn and would move around on their own. If the engine backfires it could blow the choke shut. Backfiring is another symptom of the power valve stopped up.
To remove the power valve you remove the idle screw then remove the little plastic keeper on top of the valve then, (I use needle nose pliers) carefully remove the valve. The valve has a small O-ring on it and Honda doesn't sell just the O-ring so be careful with it and put a little oil on it to install or it will tear. If you can find a tinny piece of wire clean the hole in the bottom of the valve. There is a 1/8" hole sideways in the valve. the hole from the bottom goes into this hole.
Again, to check if the power valve is clogged, close the choke about half way. If the engine runs smooth it's clogged. I've fixed dozens up on dozens of engines by cleaning that valve. I could have sold a bunch of carburetors but I'm too honest.

THanks Stimw, I printed these tips out and added them to my owners manual, for future reference ;)
I installed a new spark plug in my pressure washer engine tonight and That took care of the rest of my engine problems. My washer runs like the day I bought it !! Now I can tackle all of my very dirty tractors and vehicles:)

Thanks guys !! appreciate all the input and help on this problem.

Bob

I don't believe there is a strainer in the sediment bowl. The spark arrester is supposed to be taken out and cleaned every 100 hours. It will get carbon-ed up and cause running problems. It will block the exhaust flow. You should clean it or leave it out. You normally don't need it unless you are using the engine in the woods.

I will take the spark arrester out soon J_J Thanks for that info and all the other help you have given me

Bob

/ pressure washer problems #55  
I will take the spark arrester out soon J_J Thanks for that info and all the other help you have given me

Bob

Bob, Did you ever come up with a cause for you engine problem?

Bob, Did you ever come up with a cause for you engine problem?

To sum it all up, it was bad gasoline and a bad spark plug.

My unloader valve seems to be working ok but I havent had a chance to really give it a workout. We'll see.

Bob

/ pressure washer problems #57  
wow! all this for a bad plug!

they should be replaced yearly or so. they are so cheap, just think of the money and time you could have saved by trying that first!

yes, internal resistance of a plug can change. it is working in a harsh environment to say the least. many times they look fine but are bad. always try a new plug as one of the first options.

the golden triad: spark, fuel/air and compression. it's always one of these three....

amp

wow! all this for a bad plug!

they should be replaced yearly or so. they are so cheap, just think of the money and time you could have saved by trying that first!

yes, internal resistance of a plug can change. it is working in a harsh environment to say the least. many times they look fine but are bad. always try a new plug as one of the first options.

the golden triad: spark, fuel/air and compression. it's always one of these three....

amp

No amp, it was Not all for a bad plug alone ! I had three problems. plug, bad gas and damaged unloader valve.

I checked my maintenance records for my washer and I changed the plug out about a year and a half ago. Guess I'll have to change it more often ... like every year :)

bob

Last edited: