Prices of new pickup trucks.

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #21  
The prices of used vehicles are also ridiculous.
That's so true.

A few years ago my dad bought a 2003 Ford Tauras for $10,000.00 I think he did get ripped off on that car and I told him so.

It has been nothing but trouble and he's still is paying on it.

The car dealer said they check everything on every vehicle they sell. But I know that's a load of "Bleep" I went to inspect the brake shoes on the rear one day and those brake drums were rusted on and probably haven't even been off the car since new.

It took me a few hours just to get one of them off.

Then we had to replace the little brake lines in the back because they wouldn't come lose without breaking them when replacing some leaking wheel cylinders.

One side was $40.00 and the other was $50.00 for some little brake lines that were only about 3 inches long a piece.

Now it needs some cv axles and a starter.

The car is sitting in their driveway.

My dad bought the cv axles. But we both gave up on replacing them ourselves. Usually it's an easy process. But not this car.

$10,000.00 for a car that I want to send to the scrap yard and probably where that darn car should be right now.

He still owes around $8,000.00 for it.

Frankly if it were me I'd just stop making payments and let them come repo the darn thing even if it did mess up my credit.

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #22  
My 2007 Ram 2500 crew 4x4 diesel, seems to be holding it's own in the used market

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #23  
Not only pickup sticker prices are obscene, has anybody priced a loaded Suburban recently? Nearly 80 grand for a HALF-TON model. I truthfully don't know how anybody can afford a full size truck these days unless they are leasing them. BTW I have never even considered a lease for any new vehicle because I drive very little. Around here the tv commercials and newspaper ads are full of hype like "Lease this new Silverado for ($199, $249, $259, etc) a month with $2000 cash down, tax, title, and license are extra...". Can I afford that? Easily. Do I need a replacement for my 2008 GMC? Nope. It has long since been paid off and is dead reliable and looks excellent for it's age.

Last edited:
   / Prices of new pickup trucks. #24  
Not only pickup sticker prices are obscene, has anybody priced a loaded Suburban recently? Nearly 80 grand for a HALF-TON model. I truthfully don't know how anybody can afford a full size truck these days unless they are leasing them.

I guess that it depends on what you want. (vs what you need) I can buy an extended cab Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler, and a few other comparable 4x4 vehicles for >28K out the door. Unlike older vehicles these have a 100K power train warrantee (I remember my father rebuilding the front end of his '75 Power Wagon- bearings and interior u-joints) before 1year/10K miles... and while he did plow a few driveways that truck never left the highway.

If you want to buy decked out, top of the line you can expect to pay for it.

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #25  
I bought a new Tundra this August, and I thought the prices on new trucks was crazy-until I looked at used. I paid $36,500 for the truck I bought-saw used ones speced the same-4 years old with 50k miles for $28,000- and the two I looked at would both need tires-there's most of thousand dollars to replace. To me buying new was a simple choice.

Will

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #26  
In 2008 I bought a new Ram diesel Laramie 4wd crew cab for $34K. I just sold it for $28.5K and bought a new 2015. Paid $50K. Put the $28.5K as a down payment. There is no way I would have bought another new one without having a substantial down. I am amazed how many new pickups are on the road, especially in my area since the wage scale is just terrible...

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #27  
Don't forget that, when you go to the "build and price" section of Ford.ca or Ford.com, they give you MSRP. And we all know by now that they will take huge amounts off of that figure when you actually go to the Ford store. I mean we are talking $10,000 discounts or even more! So, MSRP really doesn't mean much anymore.

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #28  
First statement out of the salesman's mouth... " What would you like your monthly payment to be "

Zero % loans have ballooned car prices to stupid levels.

That being said, I see people asking more for used 4x4's than I paid for my truck new. Used diesels are in the stratosphere.

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #29  
I just recently paid $13.7k for a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD. 6.0L gas v8, but only 89k miles and rust free 1-owner. Felt a little ridiculous going out to get a used car loan on a truck from 2003, but, it will do everything I ask of it and hopefully last me forever. I was looking for a while to find a clean, low mile 6.0L that I could afford. 13 mpg is taking a little getting used to though.

/ Prices of new pickup trucks. #30  
Something to keep in mind when you are purchasing a truck for use in Ontario. Heavier pickup trucks require an annual vehicle fitness certification by a licensed mechanic (yellow sticker in the window) This significantly increases the cost of maintaining the vehicle. Trucks affected by this law are generally 3/4 ton rated trucks and greater. … so basically anything that you would want to put a diesel engine into.

The only way around this rule and the fact that these vehicles will also require a commercial license plate: Buy a travel trailer and leave it permanently attached to your truck, then it is classed as a recreational vehicle. (go figure)