Problems with a logger

/ Problems with a logger #21  
Another way that loggers take advantage of the landowner and increase their profits: They say they are in the area logging now and want to do your property as soon as possible, but they put it in the contract that they have 18 months to cut your trees. They explain that they want to cut them right now but that they have to have this time frame in case of bad weather or other circumstances.

They have no intention of cutting your trees now. They want to get an extra year's growth for no more money so they wait till the last month to cut. You lose one year+ of timber production.

If they have this clause in the contract, make them change it, either giving them only 6 months or making them pay 5% - 10% more if they don't cut within 6 months.

/ Problems with a logger #22  
This is the best advice! Get out there, take pictures, measurements, take notes. You do not want it to turn in to a "I said/he said" contest. When you talk to the neighbor, the logger, the city, note times, dates, and base of the conversation.

If you need it, it will be valuable info. If you do not in the end, it will still be there as a CYA.

do your homework and DOCUMENT YOUR DAMAGES before you ask for compensation.

/ Problems with a logger #23  
A forester can estimate from the tree species and stump size how many board feet were in the tree that was cut. Board feet times market value gives you how much money was stolen.

In NC the state has a phone number one can call to get the price of timber during the previous quarter. The price varies by species and region. You state might have something similar which would help you figure out the loss.

Later,
Dan

/ Problems with a logger #24  
Don't forget you might have google earth/maps to show property lines and a before look at the area if you are lucky enough to have your area mapped. Those arial photos have a lot of detail and could show definate property lines and fences.

/ Problems with a logger #25  
We had this same problem with a large out fit that logged the landfill we run. Most of the trees they got was in the 150 foot buffer strip around the 85 acres. The y complained because we were super ticky about the slopes and the grass because we spend so much time on eroision control. The main owner and us didnt want it logged but the other 2 owners were throwing a fit so they could replant it in pines which wont happen. The main owner also let us set limits on what was to be off limits. The area around the spring fed pond is a park. It has some great pine and white oak but thats off limits because the EPA likes it.
We also had a fence around the landfill and specified that nothing be drug down the maintenance ROW. Well the after about a dy that had wrecked one side of the fence skidding whole trees with tops next to the fence and were smug about it. The parent companies made 25000 off the loggin then had to split it 3 ways and then spent most of that fixing the fences and doing ROW eroision control repair and such. The loggers left after we stayed out there with them the rest of the week. The crew leader was a good guy but his saw hand and skidder operator ruined it for him.
I have seen some really stand up guys in the loggin business but theres also some shysters out there. I have a friend that he and his bother own ajoined hobby farms. This logger came in last year when scrap metal was so high and stole a combine with his knuckle boom and some other steel parts. But not before moving over the line to his broters and grabbing 2 loads of nice 18 inch pine on his side of the fence. Then one of the truckers backed an over hung load of logs into his barn. The trees in the brothers lot that were taken had to be reimbursed for 400 to 800 each. They also left all their trash and other waste in the woods and the list goes on. Iknow alot of folks here are now going to smaller outfits with tandem trucks and single axle trucks with 1 skidder and one cutter and a loader. The bad outfits are now gettin replaced with the smaller ones that cant afford to lose a customer. Ive done some welding for some of these smaller outfits lately and they seem to be doing alright.

/ Problems with a logger #26  
You don't think that they are still around but most loggers are gypsies. They run scams whether they be asphalt or logging or roofing. They steal everyone blind. They run flim-flam, confidence, identity theft, check cashing, and plain old robbery all the time, funny you never read more about them.

Still, logging theft from adjoining land is the industry standard in my area. You need political influence in order to have the city or the county shut them down or dead to rights surveys, forestry reports, and a very dedicated attorney. Your nice neighbor was likely robbed by them and they likely contaminated her land.

In any event, see the attorney first, call the local state fish cop or state forestry officer for advice, hire a private surveyor or forester, then try to locate the company, shell corporation, or individual. Still be very careful, they have the capacity to sue or harass you, they are tough to nail down if you are not a government official yourself. Every time I see loggers it is depressing.

I had no luck with trespass or anything. I lost my trees plain and simple because I wasn't there to guard them. That goes for the county attorney, sheriff, and state tree police. I only lost three trees (nice sugar maples), I was in Kosovo when it happened, man, was I mad. Get your fences up and protect them trees. The gypsies are out there, it is hard to believe they are still running around, virulent survivors.

I know someone in your area that got taken by a logger. Was logging the neighbors land, and accidently cut several acres (10-20) of other property.

/ Problems with a logger #27  
Yeah, unfortunately the vast majority of loggers around the Ohio River Valley are gypsies and thieves. Municipal, county, and the state on both sides of the river are totally obtuse and impotent. As a result, this particular brand of criminal have free reign. They know it too, they are gaudy and bold in their crimes. Sorry for your friends loss but I do not see how professional loggers can accidentally stray 20 acres?

/ Problems with a logger
I can see I am not the only one with a few logger stories. We were hoping this would work out easily but we didn't get the call at the beginning of the week we were promised. Looks like it may be time to get a bit more confrontational. It is a shame. All we wanted was the trashed pushed off our place and the fence replaced. If it goes farther we will be asking for much more.

MarkV

/ Problems with a logger #29  
Might need a letter from a lawyer to get things moving along. They had to know that the fence was down. Sounds like a judge would have a field day with these guys. Good luck.

/ Problems with a logger #30  
Sorry to repeat but if they had to post insurance and you know who the carrier is go straight to the carrier, do not pass the go with the logger and start to deal with the insurance adjuster. The logger will either have to make good with you or face the wrath of his insurance carrier -- something they will not want to do:cool: The insurance carrier will want to fix it before any other costs get incurred (like lawyers and punitive damages claims!).