Problems with Stihl ms 250

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #21  
Stihl's flippy caps can be hard to thread on. But they lock down solidly and you know they're secured. Screw caps often require a tool to tighten fully and then to open. Worse, they can become unscrewed and then you're wearing a bunch of premix or bar oil. Having done that I prefer the flippy caps.

In the winter and working in cooler temps, I've had flippy cap seemingly locked on, then it later fell out and dumped the oil on me. I'm not a fan of them. Of the screw capped machines we rarely have them unscrew.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #22  
I have a pole saw, a MS250 and a MS 261. The floppy caps work well for me on 2 of the three. For some reason on the pole saw they can be hard to get back on. It’s also my less used one.

Last edited:
   / Problems with Stihl ms 250 #23  
Seems that stihl has changed the caps over the years and might have improved them. On the pole saw we got this past summer, I like its flippy caps better.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #24  
I have owned several Stihl saws but my last choice of buying a ms 250 has been quite a disappointment. It is very difficult to start when it is hot. Actually it doesn't start very well when it is cold either. When cold it starts but keeps bogging out when you try to give it some gas. When hot it don't even try to go. You can pull the rope until your tongue falls out. My other saw is a ms 361 and it starts and runs just fine. I really like having a lighter saw for certain jobs but this ms250 is more trouble then it's worth. I have taken it back to the dealer a couple of times and they fixed a couple other minor problems but haven't improved the starting issues. Sometimes it won't shut off either, you have to put the choke on to stall it out. But that is only necessary when you get lucky and get it to run in the first place. I have always liked Stihl saws but for the first time I am thinking about trying another brand.
CJ
I've heard a lot of questions about this chainsaw before. Sorry, not a good chainsaw.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #25  
so whats a good running ms250 worth?

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #26  
Half of new and up down from there. I like to sell them quick, so 150 is what I sell the like new ones for.

They used to go on sale for 299 so what I based my price off of.

Some sold to 1 local. He likes them for limbing saws.

s250x.JPG

Last edited:
   / Problems with Stihl ms 250 #27  
+1.

I *never* pull more than twice with the choke on. If it floods, you'll wear out your shoulder pulling on it to get it to clear. Been there, done that.

I own multiple Stihl saws. The 250 is unique in that it's the most finicky and hardest to start-- by far. I like Stihl saws, but regrettably I have two of the 250 models.
I have two also and kind of soured me on Stihl gas chainsaws…

I do like my Echo 2-strokes

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #28  
Gee, we've had good luck with stihl machines and we do use them lots. I hope to be sellig our echo's this summer.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #29  
My oldest Echo brush cutter zero issues and bought new in 1982… I consider one clock spring normal wear and tear… only maintenance is cleaning spark arrestor screen.

My chainsaws which are all top handle Echo similar.

The 2 ms250 are the largest saws I now own… my bigger saw loaned out and stolen and never replaced

The ms250 had oil and fuel caps replaced and I have bought some other parts the either fell off or wore out…

I am very pleased with my AP line of Stihl Battery tools.

Had a medium sized oak fall across the trail and as mentioned made short work of it with the AP battery Stihl saw even being the bar could only cut about 60% through from one side… used only one battery for the job.

At the tree farm all the MS 170 and 180 went in before the start of each seasons thousands of cuts… the AP saws have not been back for service in 3 years of tree lot use.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #30  
Used to have a hard time with the "flippy" caps.. Then I used a magic marker to spot the cap and housing where it fits correctly. Match the marks, twist to the stop and flip the cap ... Easy and fast. :)