'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #31  
If you were to buy a small saw, but would get used hard occasionally, what do y’all think about a Stihl MS170?

Askin for a friend….

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #32  
I need to re-ring the Pro-Mac 10-10, the pull is getting soft.

Rings are cheap, it's getting them in place that slows me down ;-)

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #33  
I have a couple of Pro Husqvarnas with modded mufflers. I like them a lot but not the cost of new. I have a used top handle Echo, and a woods ported Echo CS4910. I like the light weight, performance, quality and price of the Echos.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #34  
The pro saws today all have computers controlling fuel delivery.
Not correct. Maybe Stihl with their E-tronic system but not Husky and certainly not Echo, though both can be bought with electronic fuel injection.

The Echo pro saws are all carbureted (Walbro). The differentiation between the Echo home owner and pro saws is, the home owner saws will have a cat in the muffler can whereas the 'pro saws' don't and the pro saws aren't clamshell either. Easy to tell, just look under the muffler can and see how the jug attaches to the 'crankcase' and look in the muffler can, the Cat will be visible behind the exhaust deflector, under the spark arrestor screen, plus the Echo 'pro saws will come with Echo's I-30 easy start system.

I have 3 echo's, a Timber Wolf, a CS top handle arborist saw and an Echo straight shaft brush trimmer.

The CS top handle has to be the absolute best buy in top handle arborist saws today. They are basically 1/2 the price of the Stihl (had one of them and smashed it under the chipper truck tire). Stock, they are a little down on power until fully broken in (couple tanks of fuel) and all Echo saws are made in Japan with quality Japanese assembly. Finally, a hard to beat warranty as well. 5 years consumer use, 1 year commercial.

I do suggest purchasing an aftermarket can for them. Saw-it-Again carries both the Forrester can as well as the OEM (gutted) can. Not that much jack either and of course remove the EPA mandated limiter caps on any saw.

Down to exactly ONE Stihl now that I use a lot. My ancient 028. the big ones 090 and 075 are shelf queens.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #35  
   / 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #36  
I have a Husqvarna 572XP with a 30'' bar for biggins, then a smaller 435 with a 16 bar for delimbing very well.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #37  
I have no use for anything over 20" and if I do, I borrow my buddy's Dolmar with it's 30" bar. Like I said, my big ones are shelf queens, devoid of gas and bar oil as well and the jugs are fogged.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #38  
Echo has regular carbs on all still.
I believe (not 100% sure) that Echo does offer a FI saw, not that I'd have one, I don't cotton to any FI motor and that includes farm tractors as well.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #39  
I believe (not 100% sure) that Echo does offer a FI saw, not that I'd have one, I don't cotton to any FI motor and that includes farm tractors as well.
Show me a FI echo saw sold in US today. He is talking saws sold today right now.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #40  
Show me a FI echo saw sold in US today. He is talking saws sold today right now.
Like I said, not 100% certain. I need to peruse their website to find out for sure... I do see that Echo, like Stihl and Husky is pushing the electric (battery powered) saws. Not something I'm at all interested in except maybe a pole saw and certainly not a brush cutter.