Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #121  
Back to this old thread again... has anyone tried purchasing a tank recently. I still have my rented tank in the ground, but I don't want to continue with the company I have for another year. I finally found one company that has a tank to sell at about $5K installed. The current company would sell me their tank (15 years old) for about $2700.00. Used to be, not too long ago, that I heard of companies selling their rented tanks that old for under $1K. I'm thinking I'd rather buy a new one at extra cost that and old one for that price. Thoughts??
Buy a new/used refurbished Tank.In these parts (USED) 500 gal.is $1,000..Both of mine were used.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 236

Last edited:
   / Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #122  
Not meaning to be argumentative, but that seems a very short payback time, even considering recent energy cost increases. A quick search . . . "According to a study by Consumer Reports, the payback period for tankless water heaters can range from 12 years to 27.5 years, with electric models on the lower end of the spectrum and gas models on the upper end.Feb 21, 2022"

understood....

In my case, the guy I bought the house from had a 50 gallon hot water heater. Was in poor condition and very inefficient. Unique situation, of course. I measured the savings based on my year to year propane purchases; was easy to track and measure.

Regardless, they are definitely worth the cost in my opinion.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #123  
Buy a new/used refurbished Tank.In these parts (USED) 500 gal.is $1,000..Both of mine were used.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 236
Are you actually able to find tanks for that price at this time - even in Michigan? I've called around locally and I've only been able to find the one place that will sell me a 500 gallon tank.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #124  
Loved it when I had NG in the past. Don't even have the option where I am now. 8K seems like quite a chunk to throw down in one shot, but if you're gonna be there a while I guess that works.
I was also able to replace my wood pellet stove with a gas stove. I used to buy 2 tons of pellets annually plus use my gas furnace with over $120/month worth of propane in winter months. And I replaced 2 inefficient 40 gallon propane water heaters with one tankless heater.

Last edited:
   / Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #125  
Are you actually able to find tanks for that price at this time - even in Michigan? I've called around locally and I've only been able to find the one place that will sell me a 500 gallon tank.
Just checked Craigslist here, NV near Lake Tahoe, and the only thing on there is a rather dogged out, rusty 480 gallon for $700 over in CA.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #126  
Not sure on price at this time but my farmer neighbor purchased two refurbished 500 gal, tank last year for $1,000 per tank from these folks C&R recyclers in Pioneer OH.PH# 419-459-8888.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #127  
I suspect if you haven't bought a tank in the last month or two, prices are out of date.

As an example, I was buying steel last week at my local metal sales/recycling center, and the owner commented that steel prices are by far the highest he has seen in forty years of being in the business. Something like 8sq.ft. of 1/4" plate set me back close to $200. At those prices, I suspect a used 500 gallon tank is pushing $1,000 as scrap. Local prices my be less where you are due to freight costs, but the prices are nothing like they were three years ago. Wholesale steel prices are up 66% in the last five years.

All the best,

Peter

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #129  
Like I said before your best bet on a used bottle (it's not a tank) is buying a used AN nurse bottle at a farm auction. You will have to have the pickup changed over to top draw vapor but that's it. Same valving, same gauge, same fill hose connection.

Both of my 500's (425 gallon capacity with OPD's) were repurposed nurse bottles and I got two flat rack chassis as well.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #130  
Just checked Craigslist here, NV near Lake Tahoe, and the only thing on there is a rather dogged out, rusty 480 gallon for $700 over in CA.
External rust means nothing so long as the rust pits aren't over 1/16" deep. The interior because it's sealed will have no corrosion inside. The two I bought were a little 'doggy' as well, but a bit of rotary wire brushing and some elbow grease and a nice coat of Rustoleum primer and top coat of Rustoleum enamel applied with a small paint roller and they were good to go. Nice thing about owning them is, you can top coat them anyway you want. Guy down the road got artistic and painted his single 500 like a banana...

The only really critical parts of any bottle are the end bells. The rest of them is inconsequential.

Never seen a 480. Has to be a 500. They only come in 250, 500, 1000 and 1500 unless they are commercial storage bottles, then they can go upwards of 20,000 gallons and larger.