Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #131  
Horizontals are tanks ( ASME ) verticals can be ASME or DOT. Different relief valve settings on DOT vs ASME. Tanks for auto gas can have dual certification DOT / ASME. Corrosion can happen internally if air is introduced into a tank under a vacuum. I can bore most people talking about LP Gas or liquid.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #132  
Never seen a 480. Has to be a 500. They only come in 250, 500, 1000 and 1500 unless they are commercial storage bottles, then they can go upwards of 20,000 gallons and larger.

Just going by what the ad said. At a minimum you missed one size, I had a 350 gallon at my previous house. Belonged to the propane company, I bought it from them in place (which price wise, was a mistake).

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #133  
Just going by what the ad said. At a minimum you missed one size, I had a 350 gallon at my previous house. Belonged to the propane company, I bought it from them in place (which price wise, was a mistake).
Curious about the "which price wise, was a mistake" comment. Why so? They ask too much, your calculations showed it would have been better to continue leasing or what?

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #134  
Curious about the "which price wise, was a mistake" comment. Why so? They ask too much, your calculations showed it would have been better to continue leasing or what?
At the time, prolly 7 years ago, I was PO'd with the company that owned the tank. So asked them for a price to buy it so I could shop for propane pricing. I foolishly didn't shop around for tank pricing either! That, and at the time didn't realize it was a 350, rather than a 500 gallon. So basically I got had.

I now have a larger house with separate RV garage/shop. There's a 1000 gallon in-ground tank. It's a struggle to make it through the year on one filling - prior to this inflationary run up, propane prices were lowest toward the end of summer, so filling just once then has been the goal.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #135  
At the time, prolly 7 years ago, I was PO'd with the company that owned the tank. So asked them for a price to buy it so I could shop for propane pricing. I foolishly didn't shop around for tank pricing either! That, and at the time didn't realize it was a 350, rather than a 500 gallon. So basically I got had.

I now have a larger house with separate RV garage/shop. There's a 1000 gallon in-ground tank. It's a struggle to make it through the year on one filling - prior to this inflationary run up, propane prices were lowest toward the end of summer, so filling just once then has been the goal.
Gotcha. I typically make it through the year with one fill-up on my (well, their) 500 gallon tank. That's since I installed a zero-clearance unit for burning firewood. This past winter, my son and his family moved in with us from October to February. Needless to say, the hot water usage took off and we didn't make it through til summer 😁. I'm just tired of the games the company plays and would like to shop around a bit.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #136  
Propane is very high currently here in NY and New England

exports are strong.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #137  
It would be lower in NY if they supported drilling, just saying. Landowners have a fortune under them that the state won’t let them market.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #138  
It would be lower in NY if they supported drilling, just saying. Landowners have a fortune under them that the state won’t let them market.
Propane is expensive everywhere. My state is the second largest producer of oil and natural gas, yet propane is expensive here. NG is cheap however.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #139  
If NY supported drilling those landowners where the rigs were located would make $$ but the product would likely not stay domestic it would be exported. The arb with Asia and Europe is 20-24 cents per gallon currently.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #140  
Got rid of my propane tank this year. Heating only with my mini splits and wood stove from here out.

The propane company had updated their policy so that I’d have to purchase twice the capacity of my tank each year to have the tank rental fee waived. I only used less than a tank full each year. Decided it wasn’t worth the trouble anymore since my mini splits are so efficient.