Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer?

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #81  
Farms,

Your post reminds me of my youthful days when I worked for an ag mfg company. There were about 20 of us that hauled and tested new products all over the county. We were mostly young and stupid!

One guy was hauling in Colorado, and was pulled over for speeding. Had he kept his mouth shut, he would have gotten a small fine for speeding, paid it, and been on his way. Instead, he challenged the CHP, asking how long it had been since his radar gun had been calibrated and how did he know it was used appropriately?

Well, TWO HOURS later of Officer Friendly walking around the truck, inspecting all the safety gear, and then discovering that the guy's load was TWO INCHES wider than legal--and the driver didn't have the proper permits--the rig was impounded until the fines were paid and the appropriate permits were obtained.

It's not nice to mess with the guys carrying the guns!

ron

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #82  
It pays to read an ENTIRE post before jumping to conclusions. The first paragraph led me to believe you thought I was saying something STUPID......

GEE, THANKS A LOT GUY!

(You've obviously been talking with my wife........)

Then I read the SECOND paragraph.

Yeah, It's best to humor them. A badge, a gun, and a citation book makes them ALWAYS RIGHT in my eyes. I don't recall ANYONE ever winning an arguement with a cop. If you do have a challenge to their authority, it's best to take that before a judge, and that's only after careful consideration.

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #83  
I am not sure what happened to my previous posting...

I was trying to get to the bottom of why grade 70 is such a big deal compared to other grades of chain, and the conclusion I came to in terms of actual safety is that there is nothing magical about grade 70 chains. They are just made from a stronger (60% more breaking force) alloy of steel. You still need to use the correct size and number of tie-downs appropriate to the weight of the load and the WLL's involved.

The conclusiion in terms of what the numerous various jurisdictions say or think the law is is much less clear.

I totally agree that in terms of the hassle factor on the side of the road, what matters is the opinion of the enforcement officer. He decides about any possible citations that may be written. Once issued, they would be a mega-hassle to fight later in court where you could actually present such technical arguments.

For the record, I am a firm believer in overkill when it comes to securing loads. The chains and hardware I use are working load rated for 6600 lbs each and my tractor itself only weighs 2500 lbs or so.

- Rick

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #84  
I found some more information concerning the difference between grade 70 and grade 43 chains.

The WLL on grade 70 appears to be set at 1/4th the minimum breaking force. On Grade 43, the WLL is calculated as 1/3rd the minimum breaking force. So with a grade 70, you get more reserve strength (compared to the working limit) in an overload situation (such as an unexpected dynamic shock load).

I was unaware of this subtle difference in determining WLL, so my previous statement about the strength of grade 70 was slightly inaccurate (now edited). The grade 70 chain is about 60% stronger in terms of ultimate breaking strength than the same size grade 43 even though the WLL rating is only 22% higher.

This significant difference in ultimate breaking strength does explain why the grade-70 is going to be safer in general practice: Its WLL is de-rated more relative to its actual strength leaving a larger margin for overload prior to breaking.

You can achieve this same safety margin using grade 43 simply by staying under 3/4ths of its published WLL. For example, a 3/8" grade 43 with a rated WLL of 5400 lbs can be used with a higher 4x safety margin by keeping the working load under 4050 lbs.

- Rick

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #85  
Farm,

I would never imply or suggest that anyone on this site is stupid.

I was only referring to me, as you learned. And no, I don't know your wife either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G'day!
ron

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #86  
Oooooh, your post was deleted. By who? and why? maybe we'll never know. Too bad as it was very comprehensive.

Looks like you've been censored. How does it feel.

I always thought that the MBS meant minimum breaking stress, and anywhere I've seen it called out also uses a disclaimer saying not to use it for sizing or design.

"You can achieve this same safety margin using grade 43 simply by staying under 3/4ths of its published WLL. For example, a 3/8" grade 43 with a rated WLL of 5400 lbs can be used with the higher 4x safety margin by keeping the working load under 4050 lbs."

Good info with actual numerical backup.

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #87  
<font color="blue"> I am not sure what happened to my previous posting... </font>
If you did not get a notification of your post being deleted. Yours was probably deleted when someone else's post that you replied to was removed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You have to watch who you hangout with. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #88  
All of this very useful dialogue raises another question. What are the pros and cons of lever vs. ratchet load binders? Does it make any safety difference assuming binders are rated at least equal to the chain used (grade 70, obviously)? If not, what about convenience/ease of use?

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #89  
WOULDNT GRADE 43 BE BETTER,BECAUSE IT WILL STRETCH AS THE TRAILER FLEXS? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...just kidding.I knew the other nite when i saw this thread come up it was gonna start a war...this topic always does.
I have bx-23[close to 3000lbs with my loaded tires]and i wrecked a set of brand new expensive straps on her maiden voyage.ripped the stichen right apart.NEXT RUN I HAD 4 CHAINS AND BINDERS Try FURNISH EQUIPMENTCO for the binders on the internet.
ALAN

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #90  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Farm,

I would never imply or suggest that anyone on this site is stupid.

I was only referring to me, as you learned. And no, I don't know your wife either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G'day!
ron )</font>

I know you weren't trying to insinuate anything. I guess I aughtta be a little less sarcastic, or at the very least, anounce my sarcasm when we're dealing with such a volitile subject.

There's a few things that get most tractor fanatics cranked up. Type of chains/tie-downs used, Fluid/cast iron weights, hydrostatic vs. gear, color of paint, bush hog vs. brush hog vs. rotary cutter vs. shredder. Maybe we should consider these "The politics of tractoring".