Proposed update to front porch forum rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Proposed update to front porch forum rules #341  
Ok, thats twice that I've seen. What's with the white men references? Just what are you trying to stir up?
This is funny if it weren't so serious. Obvious Troll who will disrupt everything he can until removed. Then will come back under another identity and do it all again. For the third time, where's Muhammad when needed? :(

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #342  
I believe no members here have any objection to the rules; especially, when they are made by a forum owner whose commendable policy is well explained in Post #1. But the moderation is the issue. It's seems out of whack. We have been pointing that out and keep saying that like little boys whose mommies won't listen and keep shoving porridge into their mouths.
You haven't been here long enough to "have been" pointing out anything. Unless you have been here before. :ROFLMAO:

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #343  
Generally supportive, *except* I put for consideration a different approach to "only one thread per topic".

I'd suggest to allow multiple threads, and in fact close threads after x days or y messages and force people to start a new one. I've seen it here and elsewhere -- threads on controversial topics often go a bit south. A no-fault "soft reset" can be very helpful. The phoenix rising from the ashes tends to drop (sometimes admittedly only temporarily) the snark that is long past its best-before date but just won't die.

Think about it: If there's a COVID thread there, it will soon be at page 321. And a couple of people will be polluting it by continuing a conflict that evolved on page 20 that no-one else is paying any attention to any longer, but where no one can let the "other side" have the last word. Best force a restart once in a while and allow alternate threads, so the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

I was a participant in a thread on the Canada sub-forum a few days ago that started with genuine curiosity about the Canadian Freedom/"trucker" protests. I thought we had a good, respectful, varied-opinion discussion for about 3-5 pages. Then it semi-exploded and after 9 pages a mod locked it. The signal-noise-ratio made that a good idea. I'm doubt a restart will happen any time soon (since a lot that could be said without being *just* political was already said anyway), but if it does it will be good to start afresh, without the hangover of the previous discussion.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #344  
sree251 wrote - "Coming here ought to be like coming to a bar for a chat about serious things with fellowmen, guys. Apparently, this is a dead tradition."

In the US people might talk politics or religion at a bar ... in Australia for a couple of generations for example, there are three classes of subjects best avoided, sport, religion and politics. That's eroding somewhat due to poor schooling efforts that focus on maths science and language the last two or three decades and further education later on in various fields of work.

I have surfed some pretty hostile areas in my time, pretty much giving that away early to mid 00s. "Sandboxes" (nothing is out of bounds) work to en extent, some members might get stuff sorted out or off their chest, but if one takes on the forum's Pet Monster, often it turns out it's actually someone's sandpit due to some line of mercy which wasn't observed.

The problem with heated internet discussions, meant to discuss (ie warring) and not flaming, not everyone has the same idea what would work, have the courtesy to read or observe why someone with a radically different idea thinks the way they do ... and when enough is enough. Think of roosters and their code for sizing and fighting ... it works right up until a rooster takes on something that looks like an opponent, but has a completely different code. I have IMO a very amusing story about a guinea fowl that was raised by a chook, and a nasty bully boss rooster that struck terror into the other roosters ... and how after months of harassing how it went so terribly wrong the first time the guinea fowl was cornered (no where to run) and fought back. But I think in just saying that you get my drift, the old rooster tried all the routines that worked with the average rooster to bow out of the fight ... blood bath. I could have interviened but the rooster was a particularly mean rooster and one I had educated (the water method) not to get people. Another rooster took his spot, and that sod never quite over that hiding, always at the bottom, no longer rising to the challenge.

Eventually people also realise some are never going to change their minds no matter what, those people are looking for an echo chamber or just incapable of understanding anything more than they do.

eg ...

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #345  
My only comment is not to exclude the front porch from the new posts list… A post is a post is a post.

When I look at what’s new, I want to see all of what’s new. From there I can decide myself whether to read them. Off topic generally doesn’t interest me enough to go in to a separate area looking for new posts but I still want to know what’s happening in the community.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #346  
My only comment is not to exclude the front porch from the new posts list… A post is a post is a post.

When I look at what’s new, I want to see all of what’s new. From there I can decide myself whether to read them. Off topic generally doesn’t interest me enough to go in to a separate area looking for new posts but I still want to know what’s happening in the community.
I'd agree if you are "subscribed" to the Front Porch

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules
Okay, I'm going to officially sign my name to this. You are a Troll. An evil disruptive Troll that only wants to harm this forum. Where's Muhammad when we need him.
Was patching some stucco yesterday. On it today. :LOL:

Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.