Protective chaps and PPE review

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #12  
It's about an even split between leg injuries and hand/arm (almost all hand/arm are to the left hand).

chain_body.gif

I suspect the left hand injuries are from two main causes:
  1. People not engaging and disengaging the chain brake properly: keep both hands on the saw. Engage by rotating your left wrist forward to hit the brake lever. Disengage by keeping your right had on the rear handle, your left thumb hooked on that front handle and reach forward with your fingers to pull the lever back.
  2. Not gripping the front handle properly: the thumb should always be wrapped around the handle, not pointed sideways and resting on the handle or over the top next to your fingers. If gripped incorrectly, you are just asking for your hand to slip off if you bump the saw of experience a kickback. (The former director of the Forestry and Natural Resources Program at a local career center used to tell his students, "If I ever visit you in the hospital with a chainsaw injury, you BETTER have a broken thumb.")

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #14  
Thanks for finding that for me! This reminds me why people should go through some sawyer safety program. Those saws are so, so darn dangerous..

It's about an even split between leg injuries and hand/arm (almost all hand/arm are to the left hand).

View attachment 588433

I suspect the left hand injuries are from two main causes:
  1. People not engaging and disengaging the chain brake properly: keep both hands on the saw. Engage by rotating your left wrist forward to hit the brake lever. Disengage by keeping your right had on the rear handle, your left thumb hooked on that front handle and reach forward with your fingers to pull the lever back.
  2. Not gripping the front handle properly: the thumb should always be wrapped around the handle, not pointed sideways and resting on the handle or over the top next to your fingers. If gripped incorrectly, you are just asking for your hand to slip off if you bump the saw of experience a kickback. (The former director of the Forestry and Natural Resources Program at a local career center used to tell his students, "If I ever visit you in the hospital with a chainsaw injury, you BETTER have a broken thumb.")

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #15  
It's like people can "drive" a tractor but not handle the situation when something goes wrong.

I hang onto a saw like my life depends on it. I don't wear protective gear and have never had an injury. If you don't lose control of your saw and don't touch the moving chain, how can you get hurt? Also, never, ever use a saw on a ladder or when footing is unsure.

It's also like watching newbies fire various weapons on youtube. I can't believe anyone would drop a firearm. These must be the same people using saws that are getting injured.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #16  
Good info!

Mr Hamiltonville Farm, In your video, your thumb is not always around the saws front handle. This is a no, no becase if the saw kicks back, its less likely you'll engage the brake. The brake is your friend...

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #17  
Yes its true. After doing the NSF sawyer course some years ago, I looked for and found the statistics of were chain cuts occurred. It was something I read a few years ago, but going by memory they had it broken down to arms, hands, head, shoulder, legs, feet and the like. Most kick back hits people in the head or shoulder. Nonetheless, it was close to 50% above and below your belt. After reading this, I got a Kevlar shirt. Go figure!

Here's OSHA's injury diagram:
Logging eTool: Chain Saw - Chain Saw Injury Locations
(Edit- oops, did not read the whole thread and Johns' already posted this)

Data's kinda old though I'm not sure if it'd change much.... trees are still trees.

At least with OSHA's data a lot of the upper body injuries are left hand and arm.

I'd like to see a scientific test of chap's cut resistance. I have the Forester chaps and sometimes wonder if their four layers of material will be sufficient. I know they claim to meet standards but I have not yet researched the standards to understand how rigorous they are and how well they're enforced.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #18  
This is a whole bunch of Horrible. I've had so many close calls I finally got helmet and chaps. Anything is better that what I was doing. Cutting several cord in July in shorts and tennis shoes. Done it a lot.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review
Thanks...I'll watch for that and then be more conscious to keep it there. I appreciate you looking out for me!

/ Protective chaps and PPE review
Mr Hamiltonville Farm, In your video, your thumb is not always around the saws front handle. This is a no, no becase if the saw kicks back, its less likely you'll engage the brake. The brake is your friend...

See above