Protective chaps and PPE review

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #41  
I'm from the ag industry and most of my family does this in the Midwest today where I'd say its to hot to work in. Lots of water is carried along with them and drank.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #42  
I have never seen any of my hard working friends drinking water. And they aren't exactly dying. And I mean "working". You never even saw a farmer on a 9n tractor for hours in the hot sun drinking water. Sure, if you are sweating buckets, I'm sure there is the "eventual" requirement to replenish your fluids. These people who aren't even sweating carrying around water, give me a break!

I had a roof put on a while ago, of course it had to be on the hottest days of the year. Those two guys didn't drink water either! Maybe they had a drink at lunch. I'm guessing, they are still both alive.

You come on down to the Southeast U.S. and try working all day without water June-August. I guarantee you it'll put a kink in your plans for the day. If we are on the farm working, whether it be bush hogging or cutting down trees, you can bet we will have a cooler with us with water. Speaking of people living without needing water, I'm currently watching my Dad go through end-stage renal failure. He has to have dialysis 3x a week. One of the reasons for kidney failure was lack of hydration. It's **** on Earth being chained to a dialysis chair and wanting to do things that you can't. I'll err on the side of drinking water.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #43  
You come on down to the Southeast U.S. and try working all day without water June-August. I guarantee you it'll put a kink in your plans for the day. If we are on the farm working, whether it be bush hogging or cutting down trees, you can bet we will have a cooler with us with water. Speaking of people living without needing water, I'm currently watching my Dad go through end-stage renal failure. He has to have dialysis 3x a week. One of the reasons for kidney failure was lack of hydration. It's **** on Earth being chained to a dialysis chair and wanting to do things that you can't. I'll err on the side of drinking water.

Much as some people may think otherwise, it's not a matter of how "tough" you are. Your muscles work less efficiently when you are dehydrated, so it becomes a vicious circle. You get dehydrated, so your muscles have to work harder, making you sweat more and dehydrate further. More importantly, even slight dehydration has a significant effect on your brain: you are just not firing on all cylinders. Judgement suffers, as do your reflexes. No matter how tough you are when you start out, you are less so when dehydrated.

Last edited:
   / Protective chaps and PPE review #44  
An important 'note' on the hydration tangent that the thread is discussing...

It's not all about the H2O. Electrolytes are a very important factor and having a "Gatorade" type drink will correct this.

In the 'old days' there was a 'salt tablet' dispenser in the boiler/engine rooms of the ships I served on and the Stokers (slang name for the Engineer tradies) were required to take them on a regular basis during their watch. Of course, the tablets were a combination of electrolytic chemicals, not iodised table salt.

I can pound back as much water as I can handle but if I don't replenish the electrolytes I will be experiencing some nasty leg cramps later that night. (Worse than puberty!)

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #45  
The ONLY helmet I would ever suggest anyone using is the
PROTOS Integral | Protos Integral

I've wasted a LOT of money on helmets in my life but once I purchased this helmet it was the last helmet I ever purchased. I've never felt more secure in this helmet than anything out there.

Trying to explain this helmet to someone is like trying to explain the ride in a Rolls Royce versus the ride in a roller coaster.

The most expensive helmet on the planet, but you know something, my head is worth it.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #46  
You want proof?

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #47  
I agree, your head and/or various limbs are worth it. Those helmets do look nice! Having said that, we have 4 sawyer helmets here and generally only get a couple of years before they're looking tough or broke. Maybe we do more work in da woods than most people. :laughing:

Arly, drinks plenty of water out there,, A

The ONLY helmet I would ever suggest anyone using is the
PROTOS Integral | Protos Integral

I've wasted a LOT of money on helmets in my life but once I purchased this helmet it was the last helmet I ever purchased. I've never felt more secure in this helmet than anything out there.