PT-184 engine swap

/ PT-184 engine swap #1  

maddmatt16052

Tractor
Power-Trac PT184
I am in the process of changing my engine on my PT-184. It originally had a 18hp briggs opposed cylinder engine and I'm upgrading to a brand new 23hp briggs V-twin. I would of liked to of stayed with an oppossed cylinder engine (direct bolt up) but they do not make them anymore, so I had to go with the V-twin and do a little re-enginering on things because of the size differance of the two engines. My Father bought this tractor new in 1995 (i think). I bought it off him in 2002 when he got his PT-422. It has been a great tractor, I never had any problems untill the engine went. With the price of new tractors and the attachments (bucket, mower, snowblade) and the lack of my bank account, I decided to get a new engine.

My power-trac is an older model with the pins for the atachments, not the quick disconect plate. Has any one installed one of the plates on an older power-trac? I was thinking of doing this to mine once I'm done with the engine swap.

Thanks for looking,
Matt

Attachments

• 1214091406a[1].jpg
    1214091406a[1].jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 356
  • downsized_0520091723[1].jpg
    downsized_0520091723[1].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 352
   / PT-184 engine swap #2  
I think you're going to like that new Vanguard V-twin... much smoother engine, and should be quieter, if you can rig a good muffler setup.

/ PT-184 engine swap
Good to hear about the smoothness.
:thumbsup:
I have a new muffler system that I bought for the V-twin engine, I'll get a pic of it as soon as I can get back at it.

/ PT-184 engine swap #5  
I don't see why you couldn't swap to a quick disconnect plate or put 3pt connections on a quick disconnect plate.

Nice project!

I would definitely go with the quick attach system. I don't think it would be that difficult. The quick attach tractor end plate is a three point like system. Dimensions are different of course.

/ PT-184 engine swap #6  
Call PT and talk to Terry. Maybe they will sell you the PT-180 quick attach plate as a spare part. Your family is obviously a good PT customer. Dropping the hint that you are part of a multi-generational PT family couldn't hurt.

The PT-180 quick attach plate would be the easiest to retrofit to your model, since it doesn't use hydraulics to attach/detach.

It is nice to see one of the earlier models still going strong.

/ PT-184 engine swap #7  
It could get expensive, depending on the number of attachments you have to modify. However you will love the new system.

/ PT-184 engine swap
Thanks for the advice, I will have to look into the plate from PT a little harder once i'm done with the current engine project. I just figured that one of you guys have already done the plate or something similiar already.

/ PT-184 engine swap #9  
Looking at the whole pin setup on the older units, it might be easier to just replace the entire FEL arm assembly with a newer arm assembly with the QA already installed from the factory. Then you would need a female QA plate for each attachment at well.

Also, do the older units have the aux PTO knee lever?

/ PT-184 engine swap #10  
Looking at the whole pin setup on the older units, it might be easier to just replace the entire FEL arm assembly with a newer arm assembly with the QA already installed from the factory. Then you would need a female QA plate for each attachment at well.

Also, do the older units have the aux PTO knee lever?

I don't see any Aux hydraulic connectors in the photos. Probably no Aux control lever either. It would be a major mod to go with hydraulically controlled QA plates. Probably better to go with PT 180 QA plates that do not use hydraulics.