PT-425 on snow

/ PT-425 on snow #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
Howdy, new to this area of TBN. I have an old 1991 JD 420 20hp hydro [ about 1000 pounds empty ] that I put chains on the turf rear and 400 pounds of old AllisC suitcase weights on the rear to push snow with a 54" blade. [ I have two big tractors with snow blowers for the big snowfalls ] I was wondering how these Power Trac's do since they are four wheel drive? Do they have clearance for chains ? I was thinking of getting a PT-425 with turfs on it so the chains would work. Probably just get the 60" front blade, a set of forks, and the regular front bucket. The JD as set up will push snow until she stalls if you let it, but it getting time to repower and put money in things that have been leaking for years... I use the JD all summer long out in the woods, it;s my ' Buddy ' tractor that helps me do stuff. Thanks in advance...!!!

/ PT-425 on snow #2  
They take chains. If you know that you are only going to use them on snow and ice, some folks have studded chains. Just don't get down to pavement, or you will be leaving scrapes.

They are a number of posts detailing where to get them when you have a PT. I believe that most users use net chains, but many get by with no chains. It does depend on what kind of snow you get and how steep your slopes are. My bet is that in Vanderbilt, you don't have much slope, and that the snow isn't powder.

Because these are all hydraulic drive machines, the do really benefit from preheating the hydraulic oil.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-425 on snow
Thanks Peter. I would probably just get plain link chains without any studs or bars. I've done that route before and my barn cement still wears the scars. It would mostly be a summer ride, but I use a smaller tractor to help build up the base. I keep all my stuff in an unheated area right next to the center heated area in the barn. Seldom gets down below 32 unless I go away for a day or two. Thanks again.... :)

/ PT-425 on snow #4  
I'll tell you my 2001 PT425 with turf tires and the 60" snow blade will stop forward motion and spin the tires well before any hint of stalling. To me, that means not enough traction. I've never run chains on that machine. In dry snow there's never a loss of pushing ability. However, in really wet heavy stuff, I've been stopped by just 6" and had to push it off to the side. Its all dependent on water content of the snow. My turfs do fine on our level paved drive. Going across any significant side slope, however, it will crab sideways downhill very easily in snow. Hopefully someone that uses chains will chime in and tell you the before and after affects of chains in snow on the 425.

/ PT-425 on snow
Thanks Moss, I have lots of months to dream....!!!!! :)

/ PT-425 on snow #7  
word of warning... YMMV.

My PT doesn't have sufficient clearance to put chains on the front wheels.... they rub like crazy. Rear wheels are fine. I have always intended to make a wheel spacer to install when I needed chains.... and in the meantime, my solution was simply to flip the front wheels around (warning: extra stress on wheel motor bearings, possible early failure.... blah blah blah).

But the ultimate solution was move to the Puget Sound area. Haven't used my snow blade in the last 4 years.... or my chains....

/ PT-425 on snow #9  
word of warning... YMMV.

My PT doesn't have sufficient clearance to put chains on the front wheels.... they rub like crazy. Rear wheels are fine. I have always intended to make a wheel spacer to install when I needed chains.... and in the meantime, my solution was simply to flip the front wheels around (warning: extra stress on wheel motor bearings, possible early failure.... blah blah blah).

But the ultimate solution was move to the Puget Sound area. Haven't used my snow blade in the last 4 years.... or my chains....

I didn't know you moved. I was just in Seattle yesterday. Will have to look you up next time I am up

/ PT-425 on snow #10  
I've got the tall boy version of the 425 with bar tires......my drive is 1/4 mile stone mostly all with an incline and one steep section.......when I first got the machine I plowed without chains and it crabbed all over the place.....really difficult going.......I installed chains on the rear wheels and it makes a huge difference.....I'd like to put chains on the front but mine has full wheel covers and the front doesn't have enough clearance.........the rears just make it......dry snow I try not to let it get more then 8"......I've done 12+" but have to push it to the side every 20 feet or so or the machine will stall out going uphill........wet snow is like plowing wet concrete......6" max and even then I'll stall.......I love the machine but when you put a load in the front of it pushing against gravity the center pivot point becomes a weakness and you will crab....for me chains are an absolute must and I keep them on from oct to april........Jack