PTO chipper

/ PTO chipper #1  

Alan46

Elite Member
Tractor
KiotiCK25 HST
I have a Koiti ck25 hst with a 4" chipper. My question is what's the proper way to get the chipper turning up to speed I currently have the tractor in neutral at about 1500 rpm and slip the clutch until flywheel doesn't pull the motor down then increase to 2600 rpm. any thoughts? Thanks for your input ✌🏻️☮ image.jpeg

/ PTO chipper #2  
Sounds about right, think I engage my chipper at about 1,100 but it's a switch so can't feather a clutch. Is 2,600 where you hit 540? I've got tach on the chipper and per manufacturer specs I usually run it slightly below 540 indicated on the tractor.

/ PTO chipper #3  
Engage the PTO at the engine RPM that will work the least clutch slippage. The more your slip the clutch the more you wear it and the sooner it will need to be replaced. That involves splitting the tractor which is not an insignificant job.

Last edited:
   / PTO chipper #4  
I run my tractor at dead idle. Engage the PTO lever. When fully engaged - run the tractor up to 2160 rpm - this is a PTO speed of 540. The engagement of the PTO lever is neither slow or rapid. I simply push it forward and that's that.

/ PTO chipper #5  
Good luck with the chipper/shredder. Like the name implies, it's both a bear and a cat.

/ PTO chipper
Sounds about right, think I engage my chipper at about 1,100 but it's a switch so can't feather a clutch. Is 2,600 where you hit 540? I've got tach on the chipper and per manufacturer specs I usually run it slightly below 540 indicated on the tractor.
Thanks for the advice. ✌🏻

/ PTO chipper
Yes 2600 is where I hit 540! I think I will start running mine slightly below also ✌🏻

/ PTO chipper
I run my tractor at dead idle. Engage the PTO lever. When fully engaged - run the tractor up to 2160 rpm - this is a PTO speed of 540. The engagement of the PTO lever is neither slow or rapid. I simply push it forward and that's that.
That dead idle sounds great. I I'll try it today. I know the less slippage the better, that's why I asked the masters😂✌🏻

/ PTO chipper #9  
My tractor has hst trans but has a clutch as well. I shove the clutch, engage pto at full idle , then feather out the clutch to start it going. Then rev to 2700 rpm for the 540. My theory is the main clutch can withstand better than the pto clutch. So I do this with all my pto implements

/ PTO chipper
Hey Hoobie, thanks for the reply, I just finished for the day, that is how I'm doing it from now on bro!✌🏻