Pto generator

/ Pto generator #11  
Our of curiosity I found the shaft life estimate table I recalled. It is from Helm Welding (manufacturer of Luck Now blowers).
IMG_4401.jpg

Certainly not the "end all" in source material, but noteworthy nonetheless. The chart is based upon a 60hp load, which is likely twice the HP that we are discussing here.

My WinCo generator recommends a pto angle of less than 10 degrees. I measure the op's at between 11-12 degrees.
For an implement that could be run for hours on end, I think getting the pto shaft level (or closer to it) is important.

/ Pto generator #12  
^^^^...and remember to have both u-joints at the same angle. (y)

/ Pto generator #13  
Smaller tires certainly may help, but only if the tractor pto shaft and the generator input shaft are co-linear (as in horizontal in the side view is typical). Doesn't have to be co-axial (they all line up in a straight line). This presumes the internal U-joint yokes also line up and are not themselves at a rotary angel relative to each other. A 90 degree mismatch used to be common but nowdays most shafts are designed so that they can't be improperly connected. As such, the driveline will be 'constant velocity', because the internal rotary phase angles cancel each other out.

In other situations (for example my Kuhn combo tedder & rake), the rotor support bar does not ever establish these requirements, as it changes position depending on raking or tedding. So, it has to have a true 'constant velocity' joint. Mine broke, so I made one from a FWD car outboard driveshaft joint. Works wonderful.

One other example for driveline requirements is on equipment such as a small square baler. The intermediate shaft connecting the tractor pto to the fixed position baler driveline must be set up so that the hitch pin is exactly 1/2 way between the tractor and baler connections. Going straight is not a problem (like the generator setup). But when you make a turn with the baler and the 1/2 way point is not installed, then secondary oscillations result from the unequal angles and will make both machiines vibrate dramatically and in the worst cases, stretch & break the drive chains or worse: damage the tractor pto gears and the baler gearbox, too.

When you see lifted pickups on the side of the road with their prop shafts dangling on the ground, it's usually because they failed to obey the rule of co-linear input and output shafts, plus the cheezy springs they use allow the rear axle pinion to go nose up or down during heavy acceleration, disrespecting the equal angle rule, and this will break the joints andor driveshaft eventually.

This is a first year Engineering Mechanics course topic if you go to a real school, and skip the History of French Literature classes.

Attachments

• PIC00015.JPG
    PIC00015.JPG
    820.6 KB · Views: 77
   / Pto generator #14  
If the op has a longer pto shaft from another piece of equipment then he could extend the tongue and reduce the angles of the pto.

Fabricate a drop hitch to place on the drawbar once the set up is at its location and drop the front of the generator making the pto shaft straighter. At the same time keeping the generator and the tractor aligned.

Another idea would be to put some wood planks on the ground and pull the rear wheels onto the planks. Leaving the front tires on the ground.

/ Pto generator #18  
You do have a considerable angle on the pto shaft.
But, it will work that way for a long time.
If you are going to have a permanent or semi-permanent spot to use it and you can get the generator lower while keeping it in plane with the tractor it would be better.

/ Pto generator
Our of curiosity I found the shaft life estimate table I recalled. It is from Helm Welding (manufacturer of Luck Now blowers).
View attachment 828876
Certainly not the "end all" in source material, but noteworthy nonetheless. The chart is based upon a 60hp load, which is likely twice the HP that we are discussing here.

My WinCo generator recommends a pto angle of less than 10 degrees. I measure the op's at between 11-12 degrees.
For an implement that could be run for hours on end, I think getting the pto shaft level (or closer to it) is important.
Thanks I left the wheel off built a shed around.
View attachment 828876

You do have a considerable angle on the pto shaft.
But, it will work that way for a long time.
If you are going to have a permanent or semi-permanent spot to use it and you can get the generator lower while keeping it in plane with the tractor it would be better.
Yes That is what I thought found a spot near my panel.still have to finishIMG_1527.jpegIMG_1528.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43