PTO Log Splitter Project

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #1  

MadDog

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
OK, I'm starting a new thread on this, since I picked up the steel today.

I have a 6' 8x8 .51"web H beam sitting in the back of my truck downstairs, along with various pieces of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" plate and some 2" and 4" 1/4 angle iron and 2" square tube.

The hydraulic pump, return line filter, jackshaft and bearings arrived last night and the ram cylinder and hydraulic reservoir will be delivered Monday. The valve, gearbox, pulleys, etc. are on their way.

I'll unload the steel tonight but I'm going to NYC for the weekend so construction won't start until I get back and snowblow myself and my neighbors out from the storm that's supposed to hit us Sat night and Sunday.

I will take pics as I go along and post links to our photos website.

Parts have run a bit more than I originally planned, but that's mainly because I have, as usual /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif "overdesigned" and "over-speced." It would be possible to buy all the parts for a perfectly serviceable splitter, with about the power/performance specs of a Timberwolf TW-3 HD for under $1700.

My parts will run about $2500, but for that I am building a splitter with:

a top-quality welded 5x20x2.5" 3000psi cylinder that can generate about 54k# (27 tons) ram force running at 2750 psi

a 28 gpm 2 stage Barnes pump (plus pressure guage) that will still generate 6.4 tons ramforce at low (650psi) pressure (28 gpm). Assuming that the cylinder can split logs at low pressure for 16" of travel and must switch to high pressure (for knots, etc.) for 4" that will yield a time of 5.7 sec on split and 2.75 sec on retract for a total cycle time of 8.45 sec.

a 30 gal hydraulic reservoir w/level and temp guages and a good filter on the return line, that should stand up to pretty much continuous use without fluid overheating issues,

a complete auto cycle valve to activate an entire out and back cycle with one movement, rated for up to 3000psi, and 25 gpm

4-way and 6-way wedges that slip over the vertical wedge and can be hydraulically adjusted,

a hydraulic log lifter, and

a "moose" of a beam at its core (the beam alone weighs 348#) , that should be able to handle full cylinder ram force without appreciable deflection.

A commercial splitter with roughly equivilent performance specs (but not necessarily all the same quality componants) appears to run between $5700 and $7000. The list price on Timberwolf's equivilent machine, with log lift, is a bit over $8100. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but you can buy 'em cheaper. Of course, the people who build them get paid for doing so and that figures into the price. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At any rate, I expect to get a lot of fun and satisfaction out of building this, and to come out with a piece of equipment that easily justifies the $$ (albeit not, perhaps, the labor) that I put into it.

BTW, I could have gone REALLY nuts and bought a "custom" cylinder with a 3" rod from Baileys for about $215 more, but I figured that since they rate the standard 5" bore cylinder for use at full 3000 psi pressure for stroke lengths of up to 36", I could probably squeak by with the regular 2.5" rod. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Of course, my wife thinks I'm "nuts" anyway and that I ought to sign the papers I file in courts with "Farmer Larry." /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You'll see....she'll change her tune.... AND THEY'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #2  
So what are you using for a powerplant ?

Yesterday I managed to move the sprayer out of the shop, along with my bucket, which I just finished reinforcing the top lip of, down to the polebarn and move the splitter into the shop to finish it up.

It's modeled after a TW-3 but I'll be using a two-stage 13 gpm pump powered by a 6.5 hp B&S.

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #3  
Mornin Madog,
This sounds like an impressive project, Im looking foward to your future posts and or progress!

scotty

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #4  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Of course, my wife thinks I'm "nuts" anyway and that I ought to sign the papers )</font>

She's probably right /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but make sure that she gets the house, but the Bota & the Splitter is in your name...or else your really "nuts" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, get busy building that machine... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait this long... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bird

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #5  
Sounds somewhat like the splitter I built in the late 90s. Log splitter projects are fun.

Attachments

• 823220-1997 - Logsplit 01.jpg
    823220-1997 - Logsplit 01.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3,103
   / PTO Log Splitter Project
RS: I'm taking my power of the Tractor's rear PTO (22hp). The complication, as I indicated on another thread, which I've decided not to hyjack by starting my own, is getting the 540rpm pto speed up to the 3500 or so I want to run the pump. That will be accomplished with a combination of an increasing gearbox and different sized pulleys.

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #7  
I must have been a real bear get that block of wood on it.

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #8  
SOUNDS AWSOME,CANT WAIT TO SEE IT COME TOGEATHER
ALAN

/ PTO Log Splitter Project #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I must have been a real bear get that block of wood on it. )</font>

Not really. It has a hydraulic lift arm that you can't see in the original photo. Here is a picture from the other side of my wife running it.

Attachments

• 823480-2002 - Firewood Cutting At McLeod 02m.jpg
    823480-2002 - Firewood Cutting At McLeod 02m.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,994
   / PTO Log Splitter Project #10  
My fully automatic woodsplitter. Only needs a hug from time to time, and a drink or two friday nights. It is a threepoint splitter,standing on three feet, but I use an eletric motor, tank and hyd.pump with weels on that I can move around when I am working near the farm. Very little noise, wife loves that, she can listen to the radio while working. No trouble starting it eather.

Attachments

• 824837-vedklyver.jpg
    824837-vedklyver.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,501