PTO Pump

/ PTO Pump #51  
bob yes it was set up that way but 3,yes 3 times makes me think something was not right.
doug,bob did it:D i'm glad he was the tester ,not me :rolleyes:

/ PTO Pump #52  
jpm said:
doug, bob did it :D i'm glad he was the tester, not me :rolleyes:
Yes JPM... but he merely used the 1,000 RPM setting to try lowering his engine RPM... still maintaining a reasonable PTO RPM I'm sure. :cool:

On the other hand, I was afraid you were going to crank that baby up to 1,000 RPM PTO speed and watch that thing melt on you before it would suddenly fly off and hit you in the head... after which you'd sue me for suggesting the idea in the first place! :eek:

So you see... *BIG* difference! :D

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #53  
:D :D doug i know what you meant only a fool would crank it up to the max:rolleyes: but the fool would try to blame others
j

/ PTO Pump
SPYDERLK said:
The engine can be reved w/o damage. For long term I would stay below 2K until 100hrs. Reving abpve 1700 should give ONLY more speed - actual digging force is limited by relief valves. Perhaps your bypass in the BH is set too low. Or maybe the loader relief is low. In these cases your digging force would be substandard. Reving will give more speed, but only a tiny bit more digging force before the valve opens enuf to relieve the increased flow.
larry
Larry,
I will rev it up then. I normally run the BH at 1700-1750. I will run the hoe around 2000 and see this weekend. If there is no difference, then you are probably right on target on the bypass set too low.

Dougster,
Can you give me the contact information on who you talked to at Bradco? Working nights and sleeping days with weekends off doesn't give me much "office hours" phone time. So far with Bradco, I have gotten the run around. :rolleyes:

/ PTO Pump #55  
bindian said:
Larry,
I will rev it up then. I normally run the BH at 1700-1750. I will run the hoe around 2000 and see this weekend. If there is no difference, then you are probably right on target on the bypass set too low.

Dougster,
Can you give me the contact information on who you talked to at Bradco? Working nights and sleeping days with weekends off doesn't give me much "office hours" phone time. So far with Bradco, I have gotten the run around. :rolleyes:
Didn't think to ask for any names. I just called Bradco customer support using their toll-free number (800-922-2981), told them my issues and they connected me with someone who was helpful and seemed well-informed.

On the other issue, I think you need to confirm somehow whether you have the 11.4 GPM 6520 pump or (as many have speculated) the 17 GPM 7520 pump. This would make a huge difference in how you go about targeting that 12-14 GPM high-end range (i.e., right before the bypass opens) and do your further performance testing. Remember, if you have the 11.4 GPM pump, you weren't even up to the recommended operating range at 1,700 RPM. On the other hand, if you have the 17 GPM pump, you've already been operating slightly above the recommended operating range at 1,700 RPM.

Dougster

/ PTO Pump
MtnViewRanch said:
Brandi, put in some good ear plugs, crank up the rpm's and go to work. Let us know what that thing will do at some higher rpm's, that is how it was designed.

Just as a reference point, on my Case 580E, once I have a feel for it I put the rpm's at about 2000.

Good luck:)
I did three things different today. I checked the BH's inline filter. It was clean. :cool: The Ops manual just has a reference about it in the decals section about cleaning it. Nothing in the maintenace section. :confused: I then reved it up to 2000 rpm and attacked a huge sweetgum stump. I also turned the swing speed down.
Then I remembered I wanted to change the bucket link mounting hole postion. ;) I had it in the standard position for getting the teeth up under large roots on the stumps to undercut the dirt. I switched it to the power digging position for 20% more bite. It tore up roots faster, but I was digging around a sweetgum and not an oak stump, so I am not sure how much better.
When I get up to 100 hours, I am gonna crank the rpm up more. Above 1900 rpm, the engine noise doesn't change much. But just before I retired for the evening, I took my glove off and laid a hand on the dipper actuator. I didn't leave it there long as the actuator was hot. :eek:
hugs, Brandi

/ PTO Pump #57  
bindian said:
But just before I retired for the evening, I took my glove off and laid a hand on the dipper actuator. I didn't leave it there long as the actuator was hot. :eek:
hugs, Brandi

I'm going to be using the 580 this weekend to dig out some scrub oaks, I will check to see if its fluid gets hot. I have not ever given it a thought before. I will check back in with the info.

Later :)

/ PTO Pump #58  
Well, let me throw my 2 cents worth in here. I have a 6000 with 511 bh as many of you in the thread know. I generally put the bh on a couple of times a year to get my bh work done. The only time I have had any concern about the bh and fluid was last summer when I dug a large hole to put in an 1100 gallon water tank. It was hot that day and I worked the bh hard for about 2 hrs. I got that smell and was concerned. As I checked things over, yes things were pretty hot so that you did not want to leave your hand on the bh.
I too have been interested in a pump, but for the amount of time I use the bh per year, the good performance it provides, the additional cost and time of adding the pump,etc, and the additional time for hooking things up, it just does not seem worth it, at least to me to make the switch to a pto pump. I service my 6000 every year with new fluids, filters, etc.
I just made a bunch of modifications to accomidate the grapple I purchased and added another set of rear remotes. To me, I got enough hyd stuff going on that adding more just seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth, and more hoses, etc than I want to deal with.
Having said all that, I would be interested to see some pictures from those of you who have the pto pump and tank, and how much additional time is required in making the switch out.
Applaud to all of you. Very nice job discussing the issues. Unfortunately for me, I am more of a visual person. Give me one picture or a thousand words, and I'll need the picture.
Will be putting the bh on in a few weeks after I get some mowing done and will pay a little more attention to rpms etc. As I have gotten better (which is not by any means good) on the bh, I have found myself looking for more speed in the digging, but certainly not in the swinging. As you know, the 511 has a swing control that is a real nice feature.

/ PTO Pump #59  
Slippy said:
I too have been interested in a pump, but for the amount of time I use the bh per year, the good performance it provides, the additional cost and time of adding the pump,etc, and the additional time for hooking things up, it just does not seem worth it, at least to me to make the switch to a pto pump.
I find it interesting that the 6000 4WD is the only unit for which Mahindra goes out of their way to recommend the PTO pump kit for the 509/511 backhoes in their literature. It must be like BobG_in_VA says: Kinda marginal on hydraulic oil volume... a possible overheating concern? On the other hand, here I am with a mere 7.87 GPM flow (vs. your 11)... not even in the Bradco recommended range at design RPM... and no specific recommendation for the PTO kit. Makes you wonder a bit about their thought process, doesn't it? :confused:

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #60