PTO Pump

/ PTO Pump #41  
bob do you have a pic of the bracket your hoe use's to stop pump rotation?
the forks or tangs at the top of the pump are suppose to stopped by the red bar on the bottom of the pic."somehow" was a nice way to say !@#$ crappy design either the from the force of pump rotation or stuff hitting them from below and bending them up.of course dealer never saw anything like this:mad: 9 months later i thought i calmed down but now i'm mad again
doug if the pump lets go,its not going to hit my head but it will get where my brians are:rolleyes:

/ PTO Pump #42  
Brandi, put in some good ear plugs, crank up the rpm's and go to work. Let us know what that thing will do at some higher rpm's, that is how it was designed.

Just as a reference point, on my Case 580E, once I have a feel for it I put the rpm's at about 2000.

Good luck:)

/ PTO Pump #43  
bindian said:
I have 72 hours on my 6520 now. Is it alright to rev my engine that high for extended periods of time with this low number of hours to hit target gpm of the pump? :confused: I guess I will try 2300 rpm, even though it seems way high. My dealer is trying to get information for the PTO pump installation. I will see him again in the morning. If all else fails, I will just tie a string to the throttle and give it a jerk when I need more power. :rolleyes:
Before I found out Mahindra used a Bradco BH, I was trying to find Bradco dealers in my area. It took days to hear back from someone off of their website and get a local dealer's name. When I called the dealer, he didn't even know he was a Bradco dealer, much less able to help answer my questions. :eek:
hugs, Brandi
The engine can be reved w/o damage. For long term I would stay below 2K until 100hrs. Reving abpve 1700 should give ONLY more speed - actual digging force is limited by relief valves. Perhaps your bypass in the BH is set too low. Or maybe the loader relief is low. In these cases your digging force would be substandard. Reving will give more speed, but only a tiny bit more digging force before the valve opens enuf to relieve the increased flow.
larry

/ PTO Pump #44  
bindian said:
I have 72 hours on my 6520 now. Is it alright to rev my engine that high for extended periods of time with this low number of hours to hit target gpm of the pump? :confused: I guess I will try 2300 rpm, even though it seems way high. My dealer is trying to get information for the PTO pump installation. I will see him again in the morning. If all else fails, I will just tie a string to the throttle and give it a jerk when I need more power. :rolleyes: Before I found out Mahindra used a Bradco BH, I was trying to find Bradco dealers in my area. It took days to hear back from someone off of their website and get a local dealer's name. When I called the dealer, he didn't even know he was a Bradco dealer, much less able to help answer my questions. :eek:
hugs, Brandi
I know what you mean about Bradco dealers. There are so many products out of Paladin Brands they can't even keep track. Do not waste your time talking to them. But I really do recommend that you talk to the technical folks at Bradco before making any costly move on a PTO pump. Sounds like your issue may be more related to dislike of high engine revs rather than inadequate tractor pump flow at rated speed. Get the necessary BH info right from the source. Obviously, if you buy a pump that needs 540 RPMs PTO speed... and that requires 2,180 RPMs... you are not going to be a very happy camper. :(

It really sounds like you need to do a calc to figure out the PTO speed of a 6520 necessary to achieve BH-required pump input HP... and then buy a pump... up to 14 GPM (or more?) flow at that minimum PTO speed... to meet your needs. :)

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #45  
Dougster said:
With my 4110 only putting out 7.87 GPM (Mahindra spec +/-) at ~2,600 RPM, I need everything I've got to run my 509. Even at that, I'm not even in the range (9-12 GPM) Bradco says I need to be within for best performance. It works... and even works very well in certain circumstances... but I'm sure it must work a heckuva lot better at 12-14 GPM. :)

Ahh try a 511, even more needed,, My 4110 was lower, can't remember exact figure, but lower like 7.56 or something, A 12 gpm would [make that 509 a different feeling tool

/ PTO Pump #46  
SPYDERLK said:
Perhaps your bypass in the BH is set too low. Or maybe the loader relief is low. In these cases your digging force would be substandard. Reving will give more speed, but only a tiny bit more digging force before the valve opens enuf to relieve the increased flow.
larry
I'm starting to wonder if this is my problem. Funny how I always seem to have plenty of boom and bucket power... but never quite enough stick power. I know I'm down around 8 GPM even at design speed... pitiful... and Lord knows that my technique is still crude at best... but it seems that I should be able to do a lot better with that stick. :rolleyes:

The whole thread has got me interested in PTO pumps again. Dang... I've got to get off this computer or I'm gonna go broke!!! :eek:

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #47  
LarryRB said:
Ahh try a 511, even more needed, My 4110 was lower, can't remember exact figure, but lower like 7.56 or something, A 12 gpm would make that 509 a different feeling tool
Well, we always knew that if I ever found that cherry used 511 somewhere at a bargain price that a PTO pump would be essential... but after talking with Bradco yesterday I am beginning to think the same of my 509. They just about laughed when I told them I was running at or below 8 GPM on my 509. :rolleyes:

I remember seeing somewhere in my travels... maybe some dealer website?... that a 509 needed between 8 and 12 GPM while a 511 needed between 9 and 12 GPM... but yesterday the Bradco guy made it clear that BOTH machines are recommended for flows between 9 and 12 GPM. I am not even within the flow range for my BH at design RPMs... so how can I complain? :(

I really should investigate further that new 9.5 GPM spec on the new 4110's. If that is a new pump... and if it fits my 2004... maybe I should get it done right away. It's still got to be cheaper and simpler than a PTO system... and at least then I'd be "within spec"... even if only marginally... for this 509. :eek:

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #48  
jpm said:
bob do you have a pic of the bracket your hoe use's to stop pump rotation?
the forks or tangs at the top of the pump are suppose to stopped by the red bar on the bottom of the pic."somehow" was a nice way to say !@#$ crappy design either the from the force of pump rotation or stuff hitting them from below and bending them up.of course dealer never saw anything like this:mad: 9 months later i thought i calmed down but now i'm mad again
doug if the pump lets go,its not going to hit my head but it will get where my brians are:rolleyes:

Not sure what you're dirving at but the "forks" should be on the bottom of the pump, straddling the bar that replaces the swinging drawbar. Maybe that's why you "cycled" the pump....both the high pressure and return lines are nearer the middle of the pump, the forks probably can be put on at the top or the bottom, but in this usage, the forks and the major part of the pump ride below the line of the PTO shaft and straddle the bar thru the drawbar frame. Don't have a picture here, but its not a bad design and is identical to all other PTO pump setups I've seen (including Woods).

/ PTO Pump #49  
You know, I almost forgot....I've got both 540 and 1000 rpm PTOs on my 6000. I tried the 1000 rpm pto on the PTO pump.....I figured if I could run the 511 at 1200rpm on the 540, I could run it at dead idle on the 1000. Well, yes I could, but I also figured that I didn't want to run at idle all the time, so I went back to the 540@1200 rpm. This is another good thing about these tractors and a PTO pump....you have choices...BobG in VA

/ PTO Pump #50  
BobG_in_VA said:
You know, I almost forgot....I've got both 540 and 1000 rpm PTOs on my 6000. I tried the 1000 rpm pto on the PTO pump.....I figured if I could run the 511 at 1200rpm on the 540, I could run it at dead idle on the 1000. Well, yes I could, but I also figured that I didn't want to run at idle all the time, so I went back to the 540@1200 rpm. This is another good thing about these tractors and a PTO pump....you have choices...BobG in VA
So true... and exactly the point of my first post on this page. If you want to reduce the RPMs while running the BH with a PTO pump, simply purchase a pump that will give you your desired flow at whatever RPMs you choose using either the 540 or 1,000 PTO setting... provided, of course, that at that RPM level you are still pushing through enough HP to the pump. You'll be awfully disappointed if you can't! :)

Of course, when you get up into the Daddy Warbucks-grade Mahindras, you folks probably don't have to worry about that too much! :D

Dougster