Chipper PTO vs Gas Chipper

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #1  

fd1122

Tractor
kubota l3200, KTM
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Wallenstein or Salsco chipper for my L3200. I was in a small engine dealer today and the dealer was telling me about the pros of some of the DR gas powered chippers. I am just wondering about the reliability and speed of some of the 3000k gas powered chippers vs PTO driven? Also wondering about the economic pros and cons of both.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #2  
You cannot compare a DR machine to a Wallenstein.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #3  
That is like comparing a hot dog with a steak.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper
guys I understand there is a difference PTO vs Gas and thanks for the replies. I suspected that there is a major difference. But wanted opinions on this from those who know better then me.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #5  
There is no comparison between one of the DR's and a PTO powered one. The torque provided by the diesel on even a smaller subcompact tractor is way ahead of the DR's gas motors. The DR PTO version of their chipper though is owned by some TBN folks who seem to like them.

If you were talking a gas tow behind such as a Vermeer 620 or 625 with auto feed or a larger tow behind then that would be a different story.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #6  
I have had both types of chipper. Self powered chipper/shredder and a pto powered chipper. There is no comparison. The chipper/shredder had a 10 horse gas motor and my current Wallenstein is attached to my 55 pto hp tractor. The chipper/shredder did the best it could but it just had a lot of trouble with the green pine trees and all the sap and sappy needles. The Wallenstein or any other good chipper will work much better when attached to 55 pto hp. Its just like Amigauser said - the torque of a diesel engine is way ahead of a gas motor - unless you are dealing with a larger gas tow behind. I assume you are already aware of the advantages/disadvantages of PTO vs tow behind and have chosen PTO. On my tow behind the area was so rough I had to transport the chipper/shredder in the bucket of the tractor to get it anywhere. Otherwise, towing it - it was always tipping over.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #7  
A friend of mine bought a $1500 self contained chipper with a 2" capacity. He brought it over to my house one day when we were milling some logs. While he was running the mill, I muscled it down and out of the back of his truck, got it started pretty easily, then took a 1" square pine sticker and put it down the chute. It had all it could do to chip that sticker. I figured I'd try a branch, a SMALL branch, maybe 1" in diameter but with a lot of twigs on it, I actually couldn't get the chipper to chip it.

I then proceeded to muscle it back up into the back of his truck, and left it there, I never used it again, and I don't believe he has either, this was years ago.

I now have a Vermeer PTO chipper, and I can put a 5" diameter small tree into the chute, hit the hydraulic feed and walk away, by the time I get the next limb loaded, that one is already turned to mulch. I would never consider a self contained gas chipper like that again.

Like amigauser said, if it was a self contained diesel like Vermeer or others, then that's a different story.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #8  
and the dealer was telling me about the pros of some of the DR gas powered chippers.
Other than having an engine so it will operate independently and the profit the dealer would get, what were the "pros" for someone with a 30hp engine to move it around?

Most of us on TBN have tractors with PTO and plenty of power to run small equipment. Just like a tiller. Although my $1800 Jinma chipper is not in the same "class" as a Wallenstein it will chip 6" hardwood fairly well paired with my M4700.

And when chippers get that size (800 lbs) I don't think I could move them around over moderately rough terrain without a tractor.

If you notice, at the DR website they show lawn tractors, ATV's and trucks towing the chippers.
Why no tractors?
Because if you had even a 20HP (PTO) tractor it would be a waste of $$.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #9  
Definitely go with the PTO driven chipper!

Self powered chippers, other then the big commercial units (which cost ten's of thousands dollars), are quite underpowered. Twigs and small branches are all they can handle...but you pay more for one then you'd pay for a PTO driven chipper (of the same capacity) since you're paying for the engine.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #10  
I think the little gas powered units would be a waste of money for anyone who can run a PTO unit.