Chipper PTO vs Gas Chipper

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #11  
I would much use an existing diesel engine than an additional gas engine (fuel storage, carb problems). That said, I hate having the tractor sitting there running at high rpm while running a PTO attachment.

If you buy a standalone unit and only use it a few times a year, you are more likely to have gas and carb problems than with a diesel tractor that gets used frequently.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #12  
I had an early 8 HP self-powered Troy-Built chipper/shredder for many years when I lived in NJ. They are great for someone with a suburban lot that has a few trees and a little brush to clean up, and even do well with leaves that have been piled over winter. I wore it out, and sold or gave it away (don't remember which) to a neighbor who I knew would know how to deal with the repairs it would need.

But if you have enough property to support a real tractor they are totally inadequate. Get a well-built PTO unit with a blower. Get automatic feed if you have money to burn, but in my experience it's unnecessary unless you are doing a whole lot of chipping. Manual feed works just fine for most users:
chipping.jpg

For doing normal cleanup on a couple of dozen acres they aren't worth the money unless you just want a nice toy.

Terry

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #13  
I would much use an existing diesel engine than an additional gas engine (fuel storage, carb problems). That said, I hate having the tractor sitting there running at high rpm while running a PTO attachment.

If you buy a standalone unit and only use it a few times a year, you are more likely to have gas and carb problems than with a diesel tractor that gets used frequently.

That's the entire reason why PTO's even EXIST on tractors???? :confused3:

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #14  
That's the entire reason why PTO's even EXIST on tractors???? :confused3:

It's different when you are continuously using the PTO, like for bushhogging or tilling. OTOH, running a tractor full out for a log splitter with a 20% duty cycle seems like a waste (and a lot of fuel). The 20% duty cycle is because I'm too slow keeping it fed.

I guess it's not a big deal if you can keep the attachment busy.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #15  
I have NEVER EVER had my PTO chipper bog down to a stop. Have had gas chippers stop several times. Lots more torque from a diesel engine driving a PTO one.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #16  
Think if you check DR or MacKissic (think DR's are MacKissic), they're the same price for a PTO one or gas one that'll do up to 3 1/2". Go with a PTO one, one less engine to maintain as well. Can get a DR or MacKissic that'lll do up to about 5 1/2", too.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #17  
So how do you guys load the large logs with the tractor/loader tied up? I have considered a gas powered one because anything over about 1 1/2 inches I would keep for firewood. The chipper would be for small branches and brush that I wouldn't want to deal with... and even that would only be when I am away from home where I could just drag them to the brush pile to burn later. For me anyway (away from home) it would be easier to transport a small gas powered rather than a tractor with chipper attached.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #18  
So how do you guys load the large logs with the tractor/loader tied up? I have considered a gas powered one because anything over about 1 1/2 inches I would keep for firewood. The chipper would be for small branches and brush that I wouldn't want to deal with... and even that would only be when I am away from home where I could just drag them to the brush pile to burn later. For me anyway (away from home) it would be easier to transport a small gas powered rather than a tractor with chipper attached.

Mike,
I load my PTO chipper the same way I would load the self contained one, by hand :D You can't really use the tractor to load a chipper so it doesn't matter if the chipper is on the back of it, when you need more brush, simply pick up the chipper, and drive to the new brush, or pick up a grapple load and dump it where you want it, spin around, and start chipping :thumbsup:

Your correct that it is easier to transport a small gas powered chipper, but of course if you only bring your chipper, then you don't have the tractor to help out. :confused3:

I'm sure there are situations where a small gas powered chipper is more advantageous than a bigger, more powerful, more reliable, longer lasting, and more capable PTO version, but I haven't been able to think of any myself. :D

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #19  
I was asking about the large logs, like the 6" ones people are saying that they chip. I am not a small guy, but I can't imagine picking up a 6" 15' log and dragging it into the chipper, maybe there is procedure that you guys use, but the way I am thinking about it doesn't sound like fun.

All I am saying is that for my needs, where I cut down a tree for the wood I would only be chipping stuff smaller than 1 1/2 inches... I think a smaller one would be more useful and economical. If I had 100 acres of woods to maintain or a tree business where time is money and you just want to get rid of the wood, the bigger one makes more sense.

/ PTO vs Gas Chipper #20  
I was asking about the large logs, like the 6" ones people are saying that they chip. I am not a small guy, but I can't imagine picking up a 6" 15' log and dragging it into the chipper, maybe there is procedure that you guys use, but the way I am thinking about it doesn't sound like fun.

My chipper handles 5"...I normally cut the trunk or branch length to 8-10 feet. If the chipper intake chute is parallel to the ground, feeding a longer length might not be a hassle, but some chipper intake chutes (including my Woods 5000) are at a 30 to 45 degree angle from the horizontal. Shorter lengths of wood are easier to handle.