Pump upgrade for dump trailer

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer #1  

nisaacs

Platinum Member
Tractor
970 John Deere 4x2, 970 John Deere 4x4, 4320 John Deere, 995 Case/IH
I posted this on another forum so I though I would share it here. As all you owner operators of dump trailers are aware, the lift is super slow. For me, it is aggravatingly slow. For a home owner with once in awhile use, it is fine, in a commercial setting, not.

(1)

Calling all dump trailer owners/operators. Or just anyone with hydraulic experience.

If you have a dump trailer you know how slow they cycle. The bigger the trailer/hoist the slower they go. I think jhenderson put me on to a double pump system that is offered. I am really thinking about it or just adding a second pump. The double pump is expensive or about $800 more than a second pump. Since two pumps will have two tanks, my concern is, will the oil level stay equal or will one or the other overflow. I think I can adapt a fitting to the tanks and run a hose between them. There is an unused plug on the tanks that I think is 1" straight thread. Is there a 1" o-ring boss fitting? I think they are straight thread. What do you guys think?

KTI Hydraulics Dual Pump Motor Hydraulic Pump w/ Remote | Fayette Trailers LLC

(2)

Almost done with the conversion, still lack one o-ring boss #6 straight and both tee's. Sunday is not a good day to find parts, I did get all 4 hoses made, that was good.

I moved one battery out of the large section of the tool box and turned the existing one, for clearance to add the second pump. I wired one battery per pump and jumped the batteries together. I am going to run both controllers for independent use of each pump or both.

I will be all in for about $600 v/s $1200 for the double pump, plus what they don't furnish for the install.

1107210816.jpg
1107211005.jpg
1107211508a.jpg
1107211508.jpg

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer
Finished the two pump install. I like it! With two pumps in operation, it goes about twice as fast, as expected.

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer #3  
Why’d you go that option vs a gas motor?

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer #4  
Finished the two pump install. I like it! With two pumps in operation, it goes about twice as fast, as expected.
That's with the double? That is still slower than my Big Tex 10LX albeit that's a higher rated trailer I'm sure. I bet it was agonizing if it was slower before.

That's with the double? That is still slower than my Big Tex 10LX albeit that's a higher rated trailer I'm sure. I bet it was agonizing if it was slower before.

Here is a good side by side comparison of one pump v/s the double.

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer #7  
Let us know how big the difference is, at load capacity, when you get a chance. This is uncharted territory, from what I’ve seen.

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer #8  
Here is a good side by side comparison of one pump v/s the double.

Didn't seem like that big a difference going up, until the double started back down, still both are so slow!

I like the speed of my smaller capacity Big Tex 10LX (9999 GVWR), it is much faster and all I need.

/ Pump upgrade for dump trailer #9  
That’s an eye opener. I can’t believe how long one has to wait for a single electric dump trailer pump. It almost makes the extra expense of owning a dump truck worth it, but not quite. Large CDL sized dump trailers at 20 grand+ are approaching the cost of a solid used dump truck, but the maintenance and fees of owning a dump truck are astronomical compared to a dump trailer.
I like the twin pumps. Definitely something I’d consider if buying a new one.