Pup trailers

/ Pup trailers #11  
I was fortunate to find an ex military 1953 multi-purpose trailer that was rated for 6k lbs in a small footprint of only 4x10. Definitely beneficial as I can park & unhitch regardless of weight. Of course, backing one up is a new skill set I had to learn.

/ Pup trailers #12  
I’d like to have one. My truck doesn’t have the power to pull one and the truck bed loaded with gravel but it would be nice for hauling brush or other light stuff. It would also be less theft prone than my other dump trailer for when it’s serving as a dumpster. The other idea I was thinking about was pulling one with a medium duty flatbed with side ramps on the bed so I could haul my skid steer or mini and a load behind the truck and dump without unhooking. The biggest downside I see is I don’t imagine a truck will handle one good if the truck is empty. I don’t see why you’d need a doubles endorsement since it’s not double.

/ Pup trailers #13  
For gravel we used them all the time, increased our gross from 56,000 to 105,500 with a four axle pup. The hay haulers usually hauled doubles, that way they could break them up to get them into tight places

/ Pup trailers #14  
For gravel we used them all the time, increased our gross from 56,000 to 105,500 with a four axle pup. The hay haulers usually hauled doubles, that way they could break them up to get them into tight places

Is 56 all you can run on a tri axel truck? Nobody runs them here. We can run 74k on a tri axel truck and only 80k on a combo so there’s no room left to use one.

/ Pup trailers #15  
Is 56 all you can run on a tri axel truck? Nobody runs them here. We can run 74k on a tri axel truck and only 80k on a combo so there’s no room left to use one.
Washington State abides by the Federal weight laws for all roads. 56K was for a 4 axle truck but 5 axle trucks are good for 62k. This particular truck pulls a three axle transfer trailer which is probably parked nearby. With 8 axles he is good for 105,500 also. Federal max on a tandem is 34,000 and on a single axle it was 20K. The singled out drop axles are good for 9K each, the super single on the steer is 18K.

cowdendump.jpg

/ Pup trailers #16  
Hay dude, the longer wheel base 2 axel trailers generally track better than a short wheelbase 2 axel traler.
The shorter the drawbar the harder they are to reverse. A 5' draw bar is diabolical compared to a 12' drawbar when reversing 2 trailers of the same wheel base.
A 4 axel trailer tracks better than a 3 axel trailer tracks better than a 2 axel trailer.
When you are on multi drop deliveries being able to drop the trailer is useful.

/ Pup trailers
this one has a long tongue

/ Pup trailers #18  
Having run doubles myself, your post has intrigued me about the endorsement requirements for a pup so I went poking around on the FMCSA website. Under 383.93 questions, I found the following,

"Question 13: Does a driver who operates a straight truck equipped with a pintle hook towing a full trailer (a semitrailer equipped with a converter dolly) need a doubles/triples endorsement on his or her (CDL)?

Guidance:

No. This combination is a truck-tractor towing a single trailer. This configuration does not require a driver to have a doubles/triples endorsement on a CDL."

So, you may be okay but I would still look check with PA.

Here in KY, I see sawdust (ie; lighter weight) haulers that pull gooseneck tandem dually dump trailers with a grain style dump. The ball is mounted at the rear of the truck frame rather than having it just forward of the rear axle. I have never looked up close at the setup nor spoken to one of these drivers.

Given the weights involved, I don't know if this setup would be an option or not?

/ Pup trailers
Does the PUP trailer I posted have a converter dolly? It appears to be a permanent front axle. Probably has no bearing on the question, just thinking out loud

/ Pup trailers #20  
I cannot tell for sure but you may be right. The fifth wheel on some dollies sit real high and would be obvious. Others, the trailer rides more level.