Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way

/ Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
These are OFA Eko 9 chains. I like "H" pattern chains for my R1 tires because they can't hide between the tire lugs and become less effective. I mount them using the "drive on" method - it is so easy. It's been shown before but worth repeating I think.

I have a length of rope with a hook on each end. I hook the chains near the center and loop the rope over a set of tire lugs.

P1020613.JPG

P1020614.JPG

Then drive forward, stopping once in a while to make sure the chains are centered.

P1020615.JPG

When you get all the way around the chains are tight and with "H" chains there is plenty of slack over lap to easily hook the centers. More than 6" in this case.

P1020616.JPG

Then when you hook the side chains and close the long cam levers everything tightens up - easy peasy.

P1020617.JPG

P1020618.JPG

gg

/ Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way #2  
I jack the rear of the tractor up in the heated garage, layout the chains behind the tractor and spin the wheels be hand, pulling the chains on as I spin the tire. Easy peasy.

Once upon a time I'd simply throw the chains on the top of the tire, but those days are long gone. I'm running double rings, they easily weigh 100#+ each.

/ Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way #4  
I am trying to figure out why you need chains on R-1 tires, and what is all that white stuff in the picture! Can you tell where I am from?
David from jax

(just giving you guys a hard time, as I have never, ever installed a set of chains during the winter!)
David

/ Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way
I like the home made cab.

:) Thanks ! But the tarp is just my cover that I didn't bother to take off. The tractor lives out doors.

TarpCover.JPG

The rest is protection while working in the woods

21_12_15-1.JPG

gg

/ Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way #7  
These are OFA Eko 9 chains. I like "H" pattern chains for my R1 tires because they can't hide between the tire lugs and become less effective.

Well, I guess I learned something today... I always referred to those as "Euro-style" chains. (I have OFA Eko 8 chains on my tractor)

I thought when people said "H pattern", they were referring to Duo-Grip chains.

Attachments

• duo-v-bar.jpg
    duo-v-bar.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 108

/ Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way
Well, I guess I learned something today... I always referred to those as "Euro-style" chains. (I have OFA Eko 8 chains on my tractor)

I thought when people said "H pattern", they were referring to Duo-Grip chains.

Attachments

• duo-v-bar.jpg
    duo-v-bar.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 108

That's why pictures are good - everyone knows what you are talking about. Names get used loosely and can be misinterpreted. I guess "H" is a more generic name and it would have been better if I called them Euro ?? I would call the ones you pictured Duo chains like the title says ?

gg

Last edited:
   / Put My Chains on Yesterday - The Easy Way #10  
I don't burn wood anymore. So my timber work is to maintain the timber. Which I do during good weather. So I never need chains.

Looking at Gordon's pictures make me want to put on a set of chains and go to the timber. I'm guessing that tractor will go wherever you have the nuts to point it with no consideration of soil conditions and/or snow cover.

Excellent tutorial Gordon!!! :cool: