Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest?

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Alright guys ... so I am like everyone else going back and forth on R1 vs R4 tires. I figured I can use this thread to hopefully put an end to the debate with real experience.

OK so:

I hear that R1 tires are mostly great but they can - puncture easier, are not good for bucket work or backhoe work, and tear up lawns, they also would increase ground clearance which is usually good.

I hear that R4 tires are thicker - but their major downside is potential traction.

So IMO it seems like if R1 tires were fine with bucket and backhoe work, and didn't really puncture easily, and didn't totally tear up lawns they would be the best choice.

OR if R4 tires were fine in mud and snow and other areas where you need traction then they would be the best choice.

So can people chime in and let me know if they have any of the problems mentioned above with the tires?

Also i was thinking maybe R4s + chains could be the best most flexible combo, especially if your running a hoe and get stuck so you can lift the rears up to put the chains on if needed?

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #2  
First - you are living in dream land if you think this will put the debate to rest.

Any tire - regardless of type - will be a compromise if the tractor is used for everything.

I have R-1's because I need the traction. I can lift 3000# loads with my grapple. I have never had problems with the R-1's in the front.

I could roll the R-1's off the rim if I were not careful.

Choose wisely - grasshopper.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #3  
You'll have better luck debating the perfect color than tire type.

I had a Kubota L4400 with R4. I had to run chains of the rear during muddy/snowy times. More durable, longer lasting tire, just horrible on slick surfaces.

My M9540 has R1 tires. I've carried many loads with the Grapple while one rear tire is off the ground. I run higher air pressure in the fronts than suggested. I've never had one come loose from the rim.

I have R4 tires on my little JD that I mow with. I'd have no use for them on anything larger.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #4  
Nobody seems to mention this but R-4's ride rougher. I wouldn't buy a set unless I absolutely needed that style of tire.

If you have a backhoe you don't need chains. You just move the whole tractor around with the hoe.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #5  
Nobody seems to mention this but R-4's ride rougher. I wouldn't buy a set unless I absolutely needed that style of tire.

If you have a backhoe you don't need chains. You just move the whole tractor around with the hoe.

I had a TC33D with turfs while a friend had the Case equal (DX33) with R4 tires. While driving their tractor I noticed how rough riding it was. It is just the nature of the tire...stiff and tough, good for FEL work in rocks. (good only if you NEED it)

R1, R4, and turfs all are the best in their own element. All 3 will also work in all conditions, maybe not great though. The user has to decide what the tractor will be doing the majority of the time. What are your priorities?

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #6  
Next time, for my particular uses, I'll go back to R1. Mostly my work is where scuffing up the turf doesn't matter. R4 may be more thorn resistant but I did managed to put an antler prong thru mine. In the pic attached, I got the R4 off the edge of the pavement and attempts to get back up just made it worse. My thought at the time was that R1 would have probably let me drive out and, maybe, not sucked down so far to begin with.

Attachments

• D7C60A6C-BB40-45CC-9CD6-F868E37CB4D0.jpeg
    D7C60A6C-BB40-45CC-9CD6-F868E37CB4D0.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 1,072
   / Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #7  
Next time, for my particular uses, I'll go back to R1. Mostly my work is where scuffing up the turf doesn't matter. R4 may be more thorn resistant but I did managed to put an antler prong thru mine. In the pic attached, I got the R4 off the edge of the pavement and attempts to get back up just made it worse. My thought at the time was that R1 would have probably let me drive out and, maybe, not sucked down so far to begin with.

Not all R4s are created equal. Some have huge lugs that have terrible traction. Those on your tractor are the same that my L3240 had and they’re pretty similar to a R1 tire but wider. I don’t think you’d notice much difference in traction.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #8  
Not sure where you got your original information, but they both have distinct advantages over each other and it's up to the buyer to decide which is more important to them. R1 will have better traction off road and in wet conditions. R4 will last longer on hard surfaces, especially pavement. Negatives to R1's are how they tear up the ground, or dig in when it's soft out. Negatives to R4 is their lack of traction in wet conditions.

Both will withstand or go flat fairly equally if both tires are of equal quality.

Both will work just fine for most conditions.

I went with R1s because all of my bush hogging is in rough conditions that vary from hard summer soil, to soft spring and fall soil. I still get stuck a dozen times a year, but it would happen a lot more often if I had R4s. My backhoe has R4 tires and I've learned to not take any chances with it in soft soil. I still manage to get it stuck once or twice a year, and I've spent up to 2 days working at getting it out. Usually I can pull myself out with the hoe stick in a few hours, but the damage that I do to the surrounding area might not be fixable for months when it dries out completely.

What will make the biggest difference with bucket work is having 4 wheel drive. You will have more traction to get a bigger load with less effort.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #9  
My old L4630 came with R4's and being a novice tractor owner at the time, did not have anything else to compare them to. I put lugged Euro chains on for winter use and had little to no traction issues or lawn tear up.
My M came with R1's and at first I was leery of how well they would work in the conditions I normally operate in and of course, I would also put chains on them for the winter.
Well, other than the tearing up of my lawn etc, I am very happy with the extra ground clearance and their ability to roll over dips, ruts and holes without dropping in which the R4's would always do.
I do use extra caution when driving with the FEL loaded and making tight turns to avoid tire roll off.
And trying to avoid situations were punctures may occur, so far so good

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #10  
I'm still waiting for someone with R14s to tell us how they work in real tasks.