Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest?

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #11  
If you used a tractor for primarily one thing only, tire type would be more important. Since most tractors are used for a bunch of stuff, and some of that stuff makes no difference what tire you have, there is too much debate over nothing. Also, the tire you have may work poorly for one job, but well for another.

I had sleepless nights that my wheel loader came with Turf Tires. What was I going to do, come winter? Turned out to be no problem at all.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #12  
Just like others here, my experience is that R4 tires are about as worthless as racing slicks in the mud. I have one tractor with R1 (LS P7010) and then R4 on my B26 TLB. I have no problem hauling as much in the FEL as it will hold with my R1 tires. I run the max air in the front tires and 12 PSI in the rears and they work fine. I never had any issues with puncture on the R1 but have had a flat with my R4 tires (go figure). I think if you get the same ply rating with both tires, then puncture resistance will be about equal.
No doubt, R4 tires do not wear as fast as R1 when used on hard surfaces which is the main reason for having them on industrial equipment. R4 do seem to ride terribly rough due to the stiff wall. My R1 tires also feel like you are riding on a tracked vehicle when I have a heavy load on the FEL and I can feel each tread as it hits the ground, but with normal tire pressure, I think the ride is much better on R1 tires.

So, if you work in an mud, then you need R1 tires OR a second tractor with R1 tires to pull you out when (not if) you get stuck. I cant tell you about snow traction, since I dont normally get enough snow to evaluate.

My only experience with Turf tires was on my BIL's JD 750 2WD. It would not pull up even a 10 degree slope on wet grass especially if you tried to turn while going up a slope. I have easily pulled it out of just slightly damp area when it was stuck by just using my pickup. I wouldn't have them on anything other than a lawnmower.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #13  
odd, i always equate r1 for farming uses (off road) and r4 for construction related (hard ground). All commercial backhoes and front end loaders have r4 style, and most farm tractors have r1 as far as ive seen over the years. My older ranch tractor had r1's and i still needed to chain it up in winter ice conditions on my mostly flat acreage. My new cab tractor came with r4's and at first i wasnt happy, but after 9 years of use ive never had any issues with the tires. I still chain up in winter like i did with the r1.

The one benefit is i can drive on the lawn in summer and not destroy the grass as long as i keep it in 2 wheel mode. i NEVER drove the r1's on the lawn.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #14  
First - you are living in dream land if you think this will put the debate to rest.

Any tire - regardless of type - will be a compromise if the tractor is used for everything.

I have R-1's because I need the traction. I can lift 3000# loads with my grapple. I have never had problems with the R-1's in the front.

I could roll the R-1's off the rim if I were not careful.

Choose wisely - grasshopper.

What he said ^. Times 10... If you think for 1 minute you are going to end this debate... Well let's just say it isn't happening. :)

I have owned tractors with both R1 and R4 types... and well they are all compromises.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #15  
Alright guys ... so I am like everyone else going back and forth on R1 vs R4 tires. I figured I can use this thread to hopefully put an end to the debate with real experience./QUOTE]

Your kidding, right? More like OK this debate has been quiet, let me wake it up.

By the way, it's always been R1s for me no matter what tractor I have owned. It's all about traction. Many times R1s with chains, double ring chains, while skidding logs in the winter time.

Last edited:
   / Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #16  
The title of this thread is the funniest thing I have read in weeks.
Coming next: The oil filter brand everyone needs to use.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #17  
The title of this thread is the funniest thing I have read in weeks.
Coming next: The oil filter brand everyone needs to use.

Or.....the only oil brand you should use.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #18  
I have oversize turfs on my new LS because the dealer told me they would work best in winter conditions. That is the most important function I need my tractor to address in my situation. I am in the middle of a state forest and need to be able to get out. I will put studs in if the turfs are not good enough.

My other main uses are road maintenance (tire does not matter), processing firewood from logs delivered by truck (tire does not matter), and clearing woods (I have the "wrong" tire for that so just need to be more careful).

If there was only one best tire, it is the only one that would be sold....no best all round....best for your particular operations is all you can hope for.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #19  
If there was only one best tire, it is the only one that would be sold...

There you go. Million dollar answer to a $1 question.

EVERY thing in life is a compromise. YOU have to decide what matters to YOU and choose accordingly.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #20  
Interesting. I farm. R1's only. If I went out with R4's and a fellow farmer saw me, I'd be laughed at.....and R1's don't ride rough. Ride depends on tire pressure, how heavy the tractor is and what you have on the front and back. 15 bags of 46 in the front bucket and a full spreader on the 3ph and my tractors ride better than my car. It's all relative.