Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest?

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #101  
I notice on many of the posts defending the traction abilities of R4's the author of the post will say "so far my R4's are great,,,, as long as I avoid the muddy spots"

I mean, yeah if we are talking about traction, wouldn't you want to be able to drive through the muddy spots? LOL
I never said r1s werent great tires , they are. Just that not everybody needs them. I go through mud all the time with r4s , Give it a rest.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #102  
I never said r1s werent great tires , they are. Just that not everybody needs them. I go through mud all the time with r4s , Give it a rest.
The thread compares R1 to R4, so I think I'll just keep comparing. I do agree not everybody needs them, but the comparison thread is still open and active, so Im probably not going to give it a rest.

Another aspect of R1s that gives superior traction to R-1s is the much deeper tread bars. New R-1s tread bars resemble paddles. They can be 3-4" tall on small tractors and even taller on large tractors. The bars are also spaced farther apart, so the back of the tire (in forward) cleans itself out much better than R-4s as it emerges out of the dirt or mud.
Whats more, the tread bars are specifically designed to be placed at an angle for maximum traction. Remember Firestone "23 degree" AG tires? That was their attempt to place the bars at a maximum effect attack angle to pull through ground surfaces. R-4 tire bars are not placed at an angle to maximize traction. They run pretty much straight or slightly angles across the tires.
That’s why they spin themselves into smooth tire bars filled with mud or “chocolate donuts”.

Last edited:
   / Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #103  
Sold my MX5100 with R1's; they were great till I got the new tractor. No way I'd go back after using R4's on the new MX5400.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #104  
I have offered this suggestion before as the ideal compromise;
Just use R1's on one side of the tractor and R4's on the other side.
No one seems to want to try that though🤪

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #105  
I have offered this suggestion before as the ideal compromise;
Just use R1's on one side of the tractor and R4's on the other side.
No one seems to want to try that though🤪
Then at least you could drive through mud with one side of the tractor.:)

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #106  
   / Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #107  
Sold my MX5100 with R1's; they were great till I got the new tractor. No way I'd go back after using R4's on the new MX5400.
Nice machine Step. On compacted or dirt surfaces, I found I had more push for loader work with loaded R4's.
Keep saying efficacy for tires depends on the work you do.
Kinda like marriage. Some dump their spouse after 3-4 yrs or less because of slippery slopes. Others get excellent traction after 30-40 yrs.
IS IT REALLY THE TIRE!

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #108  
Can we just close this thread? There IS NO BEST TIRE. There MAY be the best tire for YOUR APPLICATION.

It's no different anywhere else. What's the best handgun or rifle? What's the best car? Where's the best place to live? What's the best airline? What's the best hardwood supplier?

THERE ISN'T ONE!!!! Every single "best" depends on the user's needs/wants/desires.

/unsubscribing

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #109  
Can we just close this thread? There IS NO BEST TIRE. There MAY be the best tire for YOUR APPLICATION.

It's no different anywhere else. What's the best handgun or rifle? What's the best car? Where's the best place to live? What's the best airline? What's the best hardwood supplier?

THERE ISN'T ONE!!!! Every single "best" depends on the user's needs/wants/desires.

/unsubscribing
Why close it? Nobody’s saying anything bad, they’re just comparing tires and what’s better about each one.
In my work environment, no one would ever run anything but R1’s, but if my work environment were mostly on pavement, lawns or hard surfaces, I’d be running R4’s.
You are 100% correct that application/use determines tire needs.
I think where it gets contentious is when someone compares their off road traction, or snow traction or wear or which is better on hard surfaces. That’s where each tire has advantages

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #110  
Is the forum out of space? If I am done with a thread, I just stop reading it.