Question on sexual harassment training

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Question on sexual harassment training #51  
Your comments and citations need to be taken within the context of the era they were made. Lincoln may not have said things the way we say them today, but he did free the slaves. History proves that is so. That is not disputable.
Did he make them equal to whites? Probably not, but free from slavery is free from slavery.
Send them back to Liberia? Maybe a ham fisted statement. Maybe he just wanted them to be returned to their lands where they could reunite with their families? Nobody really knows.

Also, nowhere in my comments did I say it was a ONE purpose war. The Confederacy may have been fighting for their states rights, or other reasons, good or bad. The civil war was Americas worst tragedy, but something good did come out of it- the end of slavery. A gruesome practice.

Last edited:
   / Question on sexual harassment training #52  
Good ol' Abe had no problem with slavery and the Civil War was not started to end slavery.

In the September 18, 1858, debate with Senator Stephen Douglas, he stated:

When asked what should be done if the slaves were ever freed, Lincoln’s initial response was to suggest sending them all back to Africa:

In his book What They Fought For, 1861–1865 (1994), James McPherson reported on his reading of hundreds of letters and diaries written by soldiers on both sides of the war on the question of what they believed they were fighting for. McPherson concluded that nearly all Confederate soldiers—only a small fraction of whom were slave owners—believed they “fought for liberty and independence from what they regarded as a tyrannical government.” Most Unionists “fought to preserve the nation created by the founders” (McPherson 1994, 7). As one Illinois officer explained, “We are fighting for the Union . . . a high and noble sentiment, but after all a sentiment. They are fighting for independence, and are animated by passion and hatred against invaders”

So why did Lincoln start a war that killed close to 1 million Americans? Stephen Douglas characterized Lincoln’s political intentions as wanting to “impose on the nation a uniformity of local laws and institutions and a moral homogeneity dictated by the central government,” which “placed at defiance the intentions of the republic’s founders” (Johannsen 1991, 81).
When I read a post that clearly cherry picks part of a speech and ignores all of it, I wonder what the motivation is to do this? Do you know the truth and intentionally misstate it for political reasons? or do you truly believe what you have been told and never bothered to check your sources?

Here is a link to the full quote that you are using about Lincoln wanting to send slaves to Liberia. As you can see, he was very opposed to slavery, but he also felt that the Constitution had to be followed, and that he was concerned with the welfare of the slaves when they where freed.

In case you want to learn about Lincoln and slavery, this is a quick read that will help you realize that you have been told mistruths about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.