Question on sexual harassment training

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Question on sexual harassment training #41  
After I got "written up", I just told the manager that I really didn't need the job, got all my employee discounts I ever wanted since working there, and decided to quit so I wouldn't have the "official reprimand" on my employee record. Manager told me he was told by the home office he HAD to write me up and was sorry to see me go, but if I stayed, I'd be written up.

I knew this girl for a long time, thought we were friends (all of us would go out to grab a late night dinner after work from time to time), and my mistake was I talked to her like a friend who I treated no different than talking to a good buddy (nothing crude however). Litterally the comment was around to the effect "you had or have a hot date because you seem so excited?"

I thought worst case, going into the meeting with my manager, it would be a verbal reprimand and told don't do it again. Reality is, I was kind of ticked that one small comment made in jest was taken so wrong. Before the meeting, I wanted to apology to the girl for my behavior but after the meeting, I honestly never wanted to work with her again.

Like I said, lesson learned, and something I never forgot.
quet
In hintsight, I should of left and then apologized to her, but I was kind of steaming at the time.

Before that, worked part time as a banquet waiter during college. Only one of two guys who worked with 6-9 girls. NEVER a problem.
I had one grievance...sort of...filed against me. It was part of a grievance concerning an in-house interview for the position of my division's legal secretary. One of the interviewees was involved in another legal issue at the agency that I also was involved in, so I declined to do the interview and sent someone else. One of the interviewers asked her when her baby was due; she filed a grievance and named me also, claiming I was obviously prejudice because I didn't show up for the interview. Needless to say, it didn't go very far.

/ Question on sexual harassment training
My mom lived in Cincinnati and that certainly wasn't the case there. Discrimination against black people was rampant. Indiana, where I live now, had as I recall, the largest per capita membership in the KKK in that time period.
I'm certain blacks were the bottom of the barrel back then. However, in our coal mining region, it was usually the honky's or the irish that were at the bottom of the barrel.

Reality is racist views know no land boundaries. For some reason, southerners get a bad rap due to the civil war as the region for being racist.

/ Question on sexual harassment training #43  
These are the days when I thank the Lord I learned how to make my own money, work primarily alone, and not have to deal with all that garbage that’s been going on the last 20 years. And getting worse every year.
Sure, I have a few guys working for me, but they have no hang ups, we give each other the middle finger, laugh it off and just do our job.
The world has become such a weird place.
“Victimology“ is where the power is now.
A “bully” used to be a 6’-5” guy with a chip on his shoulder.
Now a bully is a victim, looking for someone to blame.
Sometimes it’s nice to be on the tail end of a work career. I feel terrible for those entering the work force.

Last edited:
   / Question on sexual harassment training #44  
As one girl in my office put it....

If your creepy and ugly, it's always sexual harassment. If your confident and good looking, it's flirting.

It's a trap.

/ Question on sexual harassment training #45  
I have so many office hook up stories it would make your head spin. I work in a office with a lot of woman, a 10/1 ratio. Nothing shocks me anymore.

Luckily Wyoming is what America use to be. I have never had to sit through any type of training for these matters.

/ Question on sexual harassment training #46  
I have so many office hook up stories it would make your head spin. I work in a office with a lot of woman, a 10/1 ratio. Nothing shocks me anymore.

Luckily Wyoming is what America use to be. I have never had to sit through any type of training for these matters.

I know you are used to it, but my small amount of time I spent in Wyoming, I was blown away. It really looked like the way I thought the REAL “west” was going to look. Small and big farms, dirt roads, mountains and prairies, sunny skies. Loved it.

/ Question on sexual harassment training #47  
Running a company with over 100 employees nothing surprises me either. A couple of years ago I got to deal with a employee claiming sexual harassment on a guy. The one complaining was another guy. Times are a changing!

/ Question on sexual harassment training #48  
I threw a guy off a work site once for bringing a Hustler magazine with his lunch. Told him to take it outside, he didn't like that so off he went. Threw another guy off for telling stories about hooking up with prostitutes; and two other guys for trying to talk my 18 year old son at the time into going to a strip club. That one got got real heated. They all but were kicked out of their union local, but I intervened for them after they apologized. Some guys just get what's coming to them.

/ Question on sexual harassment training #49  
I'm certain blacks were the bottom of the barrel back then. However, in our coal mining region, it was usually the honky's or the irish that were at the bottom of the barrel.

Reality is racist views know no land boundaries. For some reason, southerners get a bad rap due to the civil war as the region for being racist.

Yep, just a southern "twang" sets most people off as being racist.

Abraham Lincoln was opposed by Southerners AND Northerners alike for his opposition to slavery and racism, not just southerners. Thank God he prevailed after many failures.

"Racist" has become the most abused word in the English language. Many of our "betters" think its fun to use the power of that word to destroy anyone they dislike or that competes with them.

/ Question on sexual harassment training #50  
Yep, just a southern "twang" sets most people off as being racist.

Abraham Lincoln was opposed by Southerners AND Northerners alike for his opposition to slavery and racism, not just southerners. Thank God he prevailed after many failures.

"Racist" has become the most abused word in the English language. Many of our "betters" think its fun to use the power of that word to destroy anyone they dislike or that competes with them.

Good ol' Abe had no problem with slavery and the Civil War was not started to end slavery.

In the September 18, 1858, debate with Senator Stephen Douglas, he stated:
I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. (Basler 1953, 145–46)

When asked what should be done if the slaves were ever freed, Lincoln’s initial response was to suggest sending them all back to Africa:
“Send them to Liberia, to their own native land. But free them and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit this” (Basler 1953, 255–56).

In his book What They Fought For, 1861–1865 (1994), James McPherson reported on his reading of hundreds of letters and diaries written by soldiers on both sides of the war on the question of what they believed they were fighting for. McPherson concluded that nearly all Confederate soldiers—only a small fraction of whom were slave owners—believed they “fought for liberty and independence from what they regarded as a tyrannical government.” Most Unionists “fought to preserve the nation created by the founders” (McPherson 1994, 7). As one Illinois officer explained, “We are fighting for the Union . . . a high and noble sentiment, but after all a sentiment. They are fighting for independence, and are animated by passion and hatred against invaders”

So why did Lincoln start a war that killed close to 1 million Americans? Stephen Douglas characterized Lincoln’s political intentions as wanting to “impose on the nation a uniformity of local laws and institutions and a moral homogeneity dictated by the central government,” which “placed at defiance the intentions of the republic’s founders” (Johannsen 1991, 81).

Status
Not open for further replies.