Questions about Top and Tilt...

/ Questions about Top and Tilt... #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was reading another post here at TBN and noticed someone talking about the top and tilt functionality they had installed. What exactly is top and tilt used for and how does it work? I know this might sound ignorant, but I would rather ask a dumb question than none at all! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks to all!

/ Questions about Top and Tilt... #2  
<font color="blue">What exactly is top and tilt used for and how does it work? </font>

See pic attachment of my top and tilt. Top and tilt are hydraulic cylinders that provide variable movement to 2 points of the 3PH. Top link can be extended or contracted depending on the type of attachment one has hitched. For example, a tractor with top and tilt hitched to a bush hog will allow the operator to tip that bush hog in a downward fashion to provide a closer cut on banks and slopes (when backing over them). Similarly, the tilt function is the side cylinder that controls the right lower lift arm. This can be extended or contracted like the top cylinder. Using the aforementioned example, one can cut more evenly across steeper slopes when tilting the bush hog at a slight angle.

Top and tilt is also useful with other implements such as a landscape rake or back blade, when one wants to angle the pitch of the tines to permit greater dragging or digging forces or when leveling sloped terrain. Others at TBN have also found TnT to be useful with box blades.

I have found the top function to be more useful than the tilt function, but both have their merits under varying conditions.

...Bob

Attachments

• 287550-topandtiltkit.jpg
    287550-topandtiltkit.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 366
   / Questions about Top and Tilt... #3  
Top and Tilt is mostly used with box blades. It consists of two additional hydraulic cylinders on the rear - one cylinder replaces the top link and is used to tilt the blade front to back. The other is mounted on the right side and is to raise and lower the right side of the blade, allowing you to cut with just a corner of the implement. Both adjustments can be made from the drivers seat, allowing you to adjust the blade on the fly. If you have a lot of blading to do in hilly areas I consider it a "must have". It's a lot easier than getting off the tractor every time you want to make an adjustment.

/ Questions about Top and Tilt... #4  
rancar, how long have you used your Top and Tilt? I'm new to this but was told by the dealer it was mostly used for box blades so I just repeated what he said. I've got a question for you - there is a bracket that connects the top hydraulic cylinder to another bracket on the back of the tractor. Is there ever a reason to disconnect that bracket? It seems to me that with bracket in place it would interfere with raising and lowering the 3ph.

/ Questions about Top and Tilt... #5  
I agree with the other guys about the uses for the top 'n tilt, greatest thing in the world with a box blade, but also handy with other implements, and it's also very handy to be able to hydraulically and quickly change the length of that top link, and sometime even the side link, when you're hooking up implements. And when you pick up an implement such as a mower to clean underneath, you can quickly and easily pull that top link as short as it'll go to tilt the implement way up in the back to make it easy to see where you're spraying the water under there (don't get under it, of course).

/ Questions about Top and Tilt... #6  
I think I answered my own question regarding the top link bracket. It looks like it's used simply to retain the top cylinder when nothing is attached. Since I have iMatch my top cylinder will probably always be connected, so I will probably never need that bracket.

/ Questions about Top and Tilt... #7  
GreenMtnMan...

<font color="blue">how long have you used your Top and Tilt? I'm new to this but was told by the dealer it was mostly used for box blades so I just repeated what he said. </font>

I've had mine for over a year. Yes, many top and tilt users use TnT with their box blades. This is something I don't have but it's on my shopping list for a future purchase. I've used mine for bush hogging (a small amount) and for raking (to a great degree). See pic attached of my MX6 when top cylinder is in contracted position.

<font color="blue"> I've got a question for you - there is a bracket that connects the top hydraulic cylinder to another bracket on the back of the tractor. Is there ever a reason to disconnect that bracket? It seems to me that with bracket in place it would interfere with raising and lowering the 3ph. </font>

Yes, definitely remove that bracket. I've bent mine twice like a pretzel /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif when I've raised the 3PH and didn't realize how close that bracket was hanging just above the top cylinder.

...Bob

Attachments

• 287614-bushhogTnTtoplinkcontracted.jpg
    287614-bushhogTnTtoplinkcontracted.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 291
   / Questions about Top and Tilt... #8  
....and here is the MX6 when the top cylinder is in the extended position.

...Bob

Attachments

• 287615-bushhogTnTtoplinkextended.jpg
    287615-bushhogTnTtoplinkextended.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 314
   / Questions about Top and Tilt... #9  
....and, finally, here is the MX6 when the top and tilt cylinders are both in the extended positions.

...Bob

Attachments

• 287617-bushhogTnTsidelinkextended.jpg
    287617-bushhogTnTsidelinkextended.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 312
   / Questions about Top and Tilt... #10  
Thanks for the pics!

Interestingly enough, the JD Top and Tilt manual says "This kit is recommended only for rear-blade or box scraper operation...", but I can't see a good reason why it can't be used with other implements.